Final 1993 Diamondback Viper Pictures... IT IS ALIVE!!!!

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't take this the wrong way, the car is beyond perfect

BUT.

If it had some cooler wheels, I think it would be completely insane. Like a big 5 spoke iforged 20's or maybe some ccw 505A's... those wheels are awesome but, id love to see somethign bigger and better on there.

What is it about bigger wheels that makes them better?

Is it the lack of good tires?

Or maybe the extra rotating mass?

Or wait, I know its the bling bling?

Seriously those wheels look fantastic on the car I would not change a thing.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Don't take this the wrong way, the car is beyond perfect

BUT.

If it had some cooler wheels, I think it would be completely insane. Like a big 5 spoke iforged 20's or maybe some ccw 505A's... those wheels are awesome but, id love to see somethign bigger and better on there.

What is it about bigger wheels that makes them better?

Is it the lack of good tires?

Or maybe the extra rotating mass?

Or wait, I know its the bling bling?

Seriously those wheels look fantastic on the car I would not change a thing.

DITTO. The "big wheel" thing is just a fad followed by the bling bling poser herd. Makes no sense on a raw performance car as it lessens performance and ride for supposedly "better" looks. I actually hate the "better" look as it looks stupid against the smaller brake rotors and I also hate all the big open gaps in the wheel. :p My .02.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geezers just dont get why bigger wheels are in to stay...Its nothing to do with bling bling because bling bling is about high dollar shiny wheels not big wheels per se.

Crash course for you geritol types:

This is called wheel well gap....Seriously uncool for such a cool car. Bigger rims will fill that unsightly gap...The problem with cars with big wheel wells like the Viper is that you MUST fill it or else relegate your Viper to mediocraty.....This car looks badass except for the small wheels. If I still had Photoshop loaded Id show you what the proper size rims would do to this car..As it is it looks good but reminicent of an RC car....Not cool...For you pc types deal with it.

3114viper_28.jpg

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Geezers just dont get why bigger wheels are in to stay...Its nothing to do with bling bling because bling bling is about high dollar shiny wheels not big wheels per se.

This is called wheel well gap....Seriously uncool for such a cool car. Bigger rims will fill that unsightly gap...The problem with cars with big wheel wells like the Viper is that you MUST fill it or else relegate your Viper to mediocraty.....This car looks badass except for the small wheels. If I still had Photoshop loaded Id show you what the proper size rims would do to this car..As it is it looks good but reminicent of an RC car....Not cool...For you pc types deal with it.

3114viper_28.jpg

You're wrong junior. Bigger wheels do not decrease the wheel well gap unless you increase the total diameter of the wheel and tire combination. If you do that simply to close wheel well gap you are an idiot. An increased wheel & tire diameter over stock will ruin the suspension geometry and increase rotating mass and unsprung weight. You will also INCREASE the ride height of the car...that is EXTREMELY stupid. You will be all show and no go. Another urban (c)rap mobile...LOL. Also, the open gaps in the bigger wheel look stupid as you can see through them too much to a smaller brake rotor and the inside of the wheel and the ground behind the wheel...looks like crap. If you want to close the wheel well gap lower the car with the OEM wheel size and get the added performance benefit of an overall lower center of gravity. In addition, this car with the proper sized wheel and equal HP will out perform your "BIG wheel" car in EVERY performance test. Sacrificing performance on a performance car for looks is not COOL...it's just ignorant. I think you young punks are still hung up on your BIG WHEEL TRICYCLES! Grow up! However, go ahead with your BIG WHEELS and all you'll see of my car is the rear end getting smaller and smaller...and in this case smaller is BETTER. :smirk:

OP
OP
R

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
18's are as big as you want to go performance wise. Period.

Regardingthe bling-bling factor, 20's would be great! For driving there is NO improvement.

If you track the car, either drag racing or road racing, (which I will do) 19's or 20's would be simply a stupid choise. Tell me who is racing with 20's? I talked to a lot of guys who have larger wheels from Hennes-sey to JonB to name few. ALL explained WHY larger is not better. My initial plan was to go with 19's and Henn-ssey 5 spokes. After realizing what impact they have on the suspension, geometry, grip, launching, cornering, etc, I had to reverse my decision. Big wheels are good looking, but stupid for any serious road racing or drag..

Bottom line is that my geometry will remain good with 18's. Car will handle to optimum.
With 1" lowered shocks combined with 20's or 19's you will get turning/rubbing issues on top of screwed up geometry.

PS. My car IS ALREADY lowered 1-1.25" with Eibachs.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

3114viper_28.jpg

You're wrong junior. Bigger wheels do not decrease the wheel well gap unless you increase the total diameter of the wheel and tire combination. If you do that simply to close wheel well gap you are an idiot. An increased wheel & tire diameter over stock will ruin the suspension geometry and increase rotating mass and unsprung weight. You will also INCREASE the ride height of the car...that is EXTREMELY stupid. You will be all show and no go. Another urban (c)rap mobile...LOL. Also, the open gaps in the bigger wheel look stupid as you can see through them too much to a smaller brake rotor and the inside of the wheel and the ground behind the wheel...looks like crap. If you want to close the wheel well gap lower the car with the OEM wheel size and get the added performance benefit of an overall lower center of gravity. In addition, this car with the proper sized wheel and equal HP will out perform your "BIG wheel" car in EVERY performance test. Sacrificing performance on a performance car for looks is not COOL...it's just ignorant. I think you young punks are still hung up on your BIG WHEEL TRICYCLES! Grow up! However, go ahead with your BIG WHEELS and all you'll see of my car is the rear end getting smaller and smaller...and in this case smaller is BETTER. :smirk:

LOL...Ok granny splitting hairs here arent we.....Obviously increasing the wheel size means increasing the tire size as well, duh. I guess no one knew that 18" tires wont fit on 20" wheels :rolleyes: ..Take your ginko baloba it sounds like that alzheimers is kicking in :smirk: ..... As for the performance hit you are right old bean...But not everyone here has only one tire set...When you want to show what the car can do you drop the 18's on a kick *** on a track....When you are cruising the streets you should look proper...Friends dont let friends drive the streets with unsightly wheel gaps....If you are the type to be pushing the Viper to its limits on the street, and thats why you need the maximum performance, then you are stupid...On the street the 19"/20" aint gonna kill your performance that bad if you got power...And the Viper has more than enough to turn twankies....Most have track tires[where you show your cars full performance envelope] and street tire combo for looks.....I guess you race everywhere you go so you need those small wheels with the gaps for performance on the grocery store run. All that bombing around cant be good for your heart Methuselah.....I think you need 20" to slow you done just a tad :smirk: . I guess you cant afford a set of twankies on your fixed income :buttkick:

ronniej

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:rolleyes: Hmmmm, I'm just a poser.
DITTO. The "big wheel" thing is just a fad followed by the bling bling poser herd. Makes no sense on a raw performance car as it lessens performance and ride for supposedly "better" looks. I actually hate the "better" look as it looks stupid against the smaller brake rotors and I also hate all the big open gaps in the wheel. :p My .02.

OP
OP
R

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess you cant afford a set of twankies on your fixed income.

Thanks dude. Yes I do WORK for living and raise 2 daughters at the same time....

I am happy you do not have a budget! :bonker:

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

3114viper_28.jpg

LOL...Ok granny splitting hairs here arent we.....Obviously increasing the wheel size means increasing the tire size as well, duh. I guess no one knew that 18" tires wont fit on 20" wheels :rolleyes: ..Take your ginko baloba it sounds like that alzheimers is kicking in :smirk: ..... As for the performance hit you are right old bean...But not everyone here has only one tire set...When you want to show what the car can do you drop the 18's on a kick *** on a track....When you are cruising the streets you should look proper...Friends dont let friends drive the streets with unsightly wheel gaps....If you are the type to be pushing the Viper to its limits on the street, and thats why you need the maximum performance, then you are stupid...On the street the 19"/20" aint gonna kill your performance that bad if you got power...And the Viper has more than enough to turn twankies....Most have track tires[where you show your cars full performance envelope] and street tire combo for looks.....I guess you race everywhere you go so you need those small wheels with the gaps for performance on the grocery store run. All that bombing around cant be good for your heart Methuselah.....I think you need 20" to slow you done just a tad :smirk: . I guess you cant afford a set of twankies on your fixed income :buttkick:

Boy you're dumber than I thought...18" tires don't fit on 20" wheels...really? Thanks for clearing that up for me. If you had a brain that was not fried from staring at bling bling wheels you might have been smart enough to realize that I was saying you would have to increase the side wall aspect ratio on 20" tires/wheels versus stock to close the wheel well gap. Putting 20s on with a stock aspect ratio will only close the gap an inch and will raise your ride height an inch...stupid...now your car looks great an inch higher off the road...great stance...LOL...and as you continue to increase the aspect ratio you continue to raise the car higher off the ground...now you can go off road...LOL! Point is you have to LOWER the car to close the wheel well gap...not get BIG WHEELS. I'll say that again so you can hopefully understand...you have to LOWER the car to close wheel well gap...not increase the size of your wheels...get it? As far as my income goes, I'm certain it dwarfs yours in comparison. I just don't want to waste it on urban ghetto, bling bling, **** my ride, follow the herd, POSER wheels. :bonker:

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey
I only ran the front size:

Specification
275/40-17
285/35-18

Sidewall
4.3in
3.9in

Radius
12.8in
12.9in

Diameter
25.7in
25.9in

Circumference
80.6in
81.2in

Revs/Mile

Difference
0.0%
0.8%

The first number increased the width of the tire. The second lowered the profile of the tire (sidewall height as percentage of width) . Upsizing is when you increase the wheel size while lowering the profile of the tire to get a new wheel/tire combo that is (about) the stock height.

If you look at pics of stock RT/10's, there doesn't appear too much difference, these are just taken closer.

BTW nice ride. :2tu:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Deviled Duffus aka Old Yeller wrote:

Boy you're dumber than I thought...18" tires don't fit on 20" wheels...really? Thanks for clearing that up for me. If you had a brain that was not fried from staring at bling bling wheels you might have been smart enough to realize that I was saying you would have to increase the side wall aspect ratio on 20" tires/wheels versus stock to close the wheel well gap. Putting 20s on with a stock aspect ratio will only close the gap an inch and will raise your ride height an inch...stupid...now your car looks great an inch higher off the road...great stance...LOL...and as you continue to increase the aspect ratio you continue to raise the car higher off the ground...now you can go off road...LOL! Point is you have to LOWER the car to close the wheel well gap...not get BIG WHEELS. I'll say that again so you can hopefully understand...you have to LOWER the car to close wheel well gap...not increase the size of your wheels...get it? As far as my income goes, I'm certain it dwarfs yours in comparison. I just don't want to waste it on urban ghetto, bling bling, **** my ride, follow the herd, POSER wheels. :bonker:

OK Mr. Burns you are really getting up in age...You are not taking your fiber so your ****** are impacted thus causing you to not focus and understand what you read....Wheel Well gap is the WHOLE WHEEL WELL not just the gap between the upper fender and tire ok Keith Richards :smirk: You are talking about fender gap...Senility has claimed ya...Lowering the car just solves the gap between the tire and upper fender....When you get twankies you fill the entire wheel well not just the upper part. When you lower your car on twankies all is right with the world...Had you not had your hey day when horsedrawn carriages were the **** you would understand proper wheel well etiquette. bye bye cupcake ;) ....

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess you cant afford a set of twankies on your fixed income.

Thanks dude. Yes I do WORK for living and raise 2 daughters at the same time....

I am happy you do not have a budget! :bonker:

LOL. Red the car is gorgeous Im just givin ya hell..I work too and have a strict budget but somethings are just nessessary. I dont like to offend the sensibilities of my fellow car nut brethren by driving around a car with unsightly wheel well gap...Its just not proper in this day an age...Doing so would be uncivilized.... :nono:

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great Job! Car looks hot. Honestly the hood has to be the best part if I had to pick one thing. Also I love the painted GEN1 side sills......I have been contemplating doing it to mine....It totally updates the age of the car.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

OK Mr. Burns you are really getting up in age...You are not taking your fiber so your ****** are impacted thus causing you to not focus and understand what you read....Wheel Well gap is the WHOLE WHEEL WELL not just the gap between the upper fender and tire ok Keith Richards :smirk: You are talking about fender gap...Senility has claimed ya...Lowering the car just solves the gap between the tire and upper fender....When you get twankies you fill the entire wheel well not just the upper part. When you lower your car on twankies all is right with the world...Had you not had your hey day when horsedrawn carriages were the **** you would understand proper wheel well etiquette. bye bye cupcake ;) ....

If I was you I'd worry more about the gap between your ears. As for me I'm getting 18" SX3s next week. I care more about performance and SX3s will save several pounds of rotating mass and unsprung weight(especially w/ titanium fasteners and jet nuts) and I think they look better than your BIG bling wagon wheels too. Big wheels look like urban crap and since you're in jersey I understand why you like them. Bye poser. :buttkick:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I was you I'd worry more about the gap between your ears. As for me I'm getting 18" SX3s next week. I care more about performance and SX3s will save several pounds of rotating mass and unsprung weight(especially w/ titanium fasteners and jet nuts) and I think they look better than your BIG bling wagon wheels too. Big wheels look like urban crap and since you're in jersey I understand why you like them. Bye poser. :buttkick:

I think Deviled Duffus suits you :smirk: ....Im in Brooklyn NY as it clearly reads under my name. Not Jersey ok Mr.Magoo. Come on now dont forget to eat your prunes....BTW DDuffus here are some cars that come with 19" or 20" from the factory and they are performance cars.....

SRT10 18f/19"r, SRT8 300c 20", Saleen S7 19f/20r, Porsche Carerra GT 19f/20r,

350z 18f/19r, SLR Mclaren 19", Ford GT 18f/19r, Ferrari Enzo 19", BMW M6 19",

BMW M5 19", Aston Martin DB9 19", Ferrari F430 19", Konigsegg CCr 19f/20r,

Lamborghini Gallardo 19" ok Ill stop now but you get the drift....I guess they will only be sold in urban areas like Jersey eh?

BTW if putting a plus 1 tire and wheel package on your snake drastically makes your times worse you should consider changing the gasket between the steering wheel and drivers seat :nana:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Deviled Duffus suits you :smirk: ....Im in Brooklyn NY as it clearly reads under my name. Not Jersey ok Mr.Magoo. Come on now dont forget to eat your prunes....BTW DDuffus here are some cars that come with 19" or 20" from the factory and they are performance cars.....

Lamborghini Gallardo 19" ok Ill stop now but you get the drift....I guess they will only be sold in urban areas like Jersey eh?
To be fair, those cars were designed with larger wheels in mind. The rt/10 was not.

OP
OP
R

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To be fair, those cars were designed with larger wheels in mind. The rt/10 was not.

1993 RT/10 wheel geometry was desinged for 17" wheels.

Now, update the Saleen to 23" wheels and lets see what happens to the geometry and with that to handling...

I see that you dont like the wheelgap. I dont have a problem with that. For you the gap means everything, for me not that much. Remember, I live among the people who drive with MUCH larger wheels than you have ever seen... They are called Amish. Their wagons do not have wheel gaps and look really cool.

What wheels do you have currently on your Viper? I'm often out with the NY/LI crew, maybe we can compare the looks and wheelcaps next time when they have a cruise?

LV

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats on bringing that car back to life.............and beyond! I really like what you did with the dash, something different, and to me tastefully done. I am not wild on custom interiors, but you pulled it off.

I would like to see a picture from the drivers seat looking out over the hood as you described.

:2tu:

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

BTW if putting a plus 1 tire and wheel package on your snake drastically makes your times worse you should consider changing the gasket between the steering wheel and drivers seat :nana:

Not much difference between NY and NJ. Same type of obnoxious style and blow hards. BTW, plus one does not equal 20. And I already did plus 1 to get to 18 mainly for tire availability. :p

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

1993 RT/10 wheel geometry was desinged for 17" wheels.

Now, update the Saleen to 23" wheels and lets see what happens to the geometry and with that to handling...

What wheels do you have currently on your Viper?

What they said...duh. Yeah, what's on your Viper if you have one? Let's see a pic...money bags. Or are you all talk and no walk? :smirk:

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They don't make Drag radials in 19" and 20" . Thats why i have 18" wheels and thats why when i get new wheels they will also be 18". SO compaired to performance wise with drag racing, 18" is better than 20" because of tire avaliability using drag radials! I think 18's look just fine on the car!

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
They don't make Drag radials in 19" and 20" . Thats why i have 18" wheels and thats why when i get new wheels they will also be 18". SO compaired to performance wise with drag racing, 18" is better than 20" because of tire avaliability using drag radials! I think 18's look just fine on the car!

Good points, however, as BLINGBITTEN has stated above he has two sets of wheels...one for bling and one for performance...at least he brags that he does...still waiting for his Viper pics(please include both sets of your wheels money bags). :rolleyes: Semper Fi JUCD! :usa:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456