FINAL EDITION GTS VIPERS.......PRICELESS

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK Now, after leaving a response to the 97 blue/white (how much to pay? posts), I feel that this post is well overdue. Perhaps I am setting the stage for all of us FE PROUD GTS VIPER OWNERS , and that is good! We all see that the 96-97 B/W gts are bringing top dollar, because of reasons like first gts, great color, forged, cam, etc. But after all is said and done the main reason is SUPPLY and DEMAND, sorta like a collectors item. So a 97 blue/white gts will bring 50-53K..and a RED will only attract 40-43K.

MY GTS IS THE LAST PRODUCTION GTS EVER, THATS RIGHT "EVER" !!! PRICELESS

So by the same token of appreciation, we have the "first" and the "last" GTS. So this means that the plain red gts 2002 will only bring X amount of dollars , while MINE WILL BRING TOP DOLLAR. See the picture?
Same as the 97 GTS .

I really like the 96-97 Blue White GTS and would like to have one someday next to my FE. Which I love a whole lot MORE!!! Mostly because of the awesome Red/White COLOR!!! I can TT or S/C My FE up to to 1000 HP, and get forged pistons, roller cam, etc, if I choose. That is not the issue here. We seem to have a lot of unnecessary controversy about prices and such. Once again supply and demand...

JUST LIKE ALL OF THE FE GTS VIPERS 360 RARE GTS SUPPLY AND DEMAND!!!

I AM NEVER SELLING MINE, BUT IF I EVER HAVE TO FOR UNFORSEEN REASONS, I "WILL" BE ASKING TOP DOLLAR. FACT

Dave
:D :D :D

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
This board can be it's own worst enemy when it comes to fair pricing, Viper "worth", and market value. When buying, we all want cheap, cheap, cheap. When (and IF) we go to sell, we want top dollar and laugh at the "ridiculous" low-ball value estimates. Mods really throw prices all over as the Viper Tax we pay for Mods only seems to bring about 10-25% of what you paid.

It's all about supply and demand. Right now - the economy has driven Viper (and most exotic) prices down. Prices for Gen 1 seem to have stabilized at low 30's with exceptions low and high. Gen 2 pricing has been all over the board. It may be just the winter - but it doesn't seem like a lot of Vipers are being sold right now - and not many Newbies posting. Maybe the improving(?) economy and SPRINGTIME will change all this!

Yes, FE's are the last production GTS's ever - BUT all Gen 1 and Gen 2 owners can now say the same thing - as the SRT has made our Original Vipers - the last RT/10 & GTS ever built. You don't see a premium for the 1995 "Last Sidepipe" Vipers. And if a Comp Coupe-based SRT Coupe comes out - I get the feeling that many GTS owners would buy right away driving GTS prices down.

Just my $.02.

COME ON SPRING! :usa:

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually I paid a premium for a 95 Last 300 Sidepipe car. One was that it had 800 miles on it but it also was the exact year, color, shape, etc. that I wanted and I felt comfortable the car was true and wasn't abused. That made it worth a little more but honestly, when I found out it was a last 300, it meant something and I know I paid a few K's more.

I don't care what anyone says, having something numbered or one of a last of or special edition will always make people pay more.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the Blue and White hold their value better for one reason.

The original paint color is Blue and White. No RT/10s in Blue but tons of red, black, etc.

The Blue and White just look better.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe Viper's are too new to really know where they will "bottom out" in terms of price. There are so many low mileage cars out there that getting a good one is very easy. As years pass, it will get harder and harder. After that occurs we will see how the B/W, FE, Sidepipe cars pan out. Too many of each right now too tell.

So for now, we can just watch them drop.

Since I am not going to sell, it is more academic to me more than anything else.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
MichaelP .. Wrong 1997 RT/10 available in Blue White - Sharp - but not <font color="red"> RED </font> ! Actually MORE rare as only 53 produced vs. the 1163 (1996) and 965 (1997) GTS's built. Would like to see one in person!

274BLUERT.JPG

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I never contended that B/W GTS's were rare. 2k is a lot of cars. Even with this fact I think they will fare well over the next 5+ years...

I could be wrong.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone has followed the history of the OTHER American sports car they should be able to discern some trends. First and last of a generation do command some value, but rarity of color and options will ultimately trump either the 96 or the 02, simply because there are so many of them. There are many combinations such as the blue white RT pictured that are MUCH more rare, 53 vs. 600 or 300. All of the ACRS especially some in low color combinations will do well. Connelly interior is really VERY rare, some colors only have a handful represented. The Levin/Heffner cars will command HUGE values some day, just like Yenkos or Baldwin/Motion. Check out the production numbers on red/silver cars, silver/blue and black/silver. Only a little over 100 black/silver cars produced in 99/00. The numbers are even less for the red/silver and the silver/blue. The law of supply and demand will dictate rarity of these combinations over any consideration of first and last. Just my humble opinion, but backed up by waht has happened in the Vette hobby.

Bad02ViperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I sure hope that the 02 FE will bring alot of money in the far far future!!!!!!!!!

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
who cares go out and drive the $hit outa your cars instead of whining who's car is worth more :rolleyes: I cant see my car taking more than 2 years of abuse anyways :p

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who ever prys the keys out of my dead cold hand can worry about what it is worth. I bought mine because I have wanted one since the first one rolled off the line.

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Moundir. If the cars do appreciate in value (which I don't think they will), at least for me, it will not outweigh the fun I have driving it now. I don't plan on selling it, so I don't care much about its value.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like most of you, the price is academic -- I love the darn thing and don't want to part with it. All this talk about value reminds me of a parable:

King Ozymandias of Assyria was running low on cash after years of war with the Hittites. His last great possession was the Star of the Euphrates, the most valuable diamond in the ancient world. Desperate, he went to Crosus, the pawnbroker, to ask for a loan. Crosus said, "I'll give you 100,000 dinars for it." "But I paid a million dinars for it," the King protested. "Don't you know who I am? I am the King!" To which Crosus replied: :2tu:

"When you wish to pawn a Star ... it makes no difference who you are!"

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Levin/Heffner cars will command HUGE values some day, just like Yenkos or Baldwin/Motion.

The Don Yenko cars and the Baldwin chevrolet cars command huge numbers because they were chevy dealers offering an option package and full warranty with their brand new cars.This is nothing like a "tuner" modding an existing car.The modded vipers will never bring huge dollars.Anyone can get their car modded by these tuners.Now if a dodge dealer put out a limited # of modded cars,that were new,that would be a different story.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My FE GTS won't ever be worth a lot of money. I would have to consider parting with it for it to be worth cash.

It won't do me any good for it to be worth a few hundred in 20 years. It won't matter. It's not going anywhere.

It's worth experiences and memories and honestly, exchanging the Viper for cash at some future point won't guarantee a better set of said experiences and memories.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yenko cars are 40 years old!
The Vipers will some day bring the same kind of money, in then day dollars, that a nice stock 67 427 Vette brings today. I just don't see how that can not be true. gen1 and 2 Vipers are famous icons of power and they don't make them any more. They never made many.

I had Vettes back in the 60s and 70s that would be worth some money today. I bought and sold them at the going price at the time, $1600 for a nice 64 fastback in 1971, about the same for a 66 hardtop. How about $2100 for a 61 FI 283/315 Vette in 64?

As far as rare options, the Vettes with the big gas tanks are a special collectors item. Who would guess?

There were so few Vipers made that I'm thinking the color combos will never be a really big deal. If any of the Vipers start going way up in collector value, I think they all will.

When this happens, the guys with the mods will wish they never did it. I don't care what kind of mod it is or who did it, it will detract from the value of a collector Viper.

Tell me what mod makes a classic Vette worth more today? I'll tell you what mod makes it worth less, anything, even the wrong bolts in the intake manifold, the wrong paint in the trunk, a spiffed up engine compartment with aftermarket valve covers and chrome air filter.
Better hope that removing the Viper mods won't leave a trace.
Some day that stock intake silencer and non smooth tubes will cost a bundle, and some pr1ck show judge will be able to tell if they came off a 94 R/T or a 93 R/T.

OP
OP

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This board can be it's own worst enemy when it comes to fair pricing, Viper "worth", and market value. When buying, we all want cheap, cheap, cheap. When (and IF) we go to sell, we want top dollar and laugh at the "ridiculous" low-ball value estimates. Mods really throw prices all over as the Viper Tax we pay for Mods only seems to bring about 10-25% of what you paid.

It's all about supply and demand. Right now - the economy has driven Viper (and most exotic) prices down. Prices for Gen 1 seem to have stabilized at low 30's with exceptions low and high. Gen 2 pricing has been all over the board. It may be just the winter - but it doesn't seem like a lot of Vipers are being sold right now - and not many Newbies posting. Maybe the improving(?) economy and SPRINGTIME will change all this!

Yes, FE's are the last production GTS's ever - BUT all Gen 1 and Gen 2 owners can now say the same thing - as the SRT has made our Original Vipers - the last RT/10 &amp; GTS ever built. You don't see a premium for the 1995 "Last Sidepipe" Vipers. And if a Comp Coupe-based SRT Coupe comes out - I get the feeling that many GTS owners would buy right away driving GTS prices down.

Just my $.02.

COME ON SPRING! :usa:

Rocket,,,that about sums it all up

Good Post :usa:

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What really matters is how much each of us LOVE the car we own. That is pretty apparent by some of the posts on this site.

But over all, it's all about personal choice.

Each of us bought what we have because that was our personal choice. You can't say, "You're stupid because you didn't buy what I bought, I'm must be smarter than you." Gee, I think I've seen that line in a post somewhere before!

My personal opinion is that the first GTS was b/w, they shouldn't have made a 97 b/w, and the last GTS should have been b/w. Don't take that statement to mean I don't like the red/white, because I do like them. Honestly, I haven't seen a Viper yet that I don't like.

If we have to worry about if these cars will go up in value and if we are going to make money off the purchase of them, we probably really can't afford to own them in the first place.

Buying today for $40k, $50K, $60K, and selling in 20 + years, if anyone can really keep a car that long, for $150K will just be luck.

Who knew in 69 that the Road Runner Superbird w/ a hemi would sell for over $100k today? If we did, wouldn't one of us purchased every one they made and held on to them all until today? Who knows what will happen, or what future collectors will like, want, or consider worth being a collector car?

Buy, enjoy, and have fun.

Just my .02 worth, which may not even be worth .02!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper585 said
------------------------------------------------------------
"The Don Yenko cars and the Baldwin chevrolet cars command huge numbers because they were chevy dealers offering an option package and full warranty with their brand new cars.This is nothing like a "tuner" modding an existing car.The modded vipers will never bring huge dollars.Anyone can get their car modded by these tuners.Now if a dodge dealer put out a limited # of modded cars,that were new,that would be a different story.
------------------------------------------------------------
Uhhhh, I hear your comment, and I'll raise you one. Did you watch the Barrett/Jackson auction. Does the name Callaway ring a bell? Hmmmm, not a Chevrolet dealer, right? Anybody remember the prices?!! Reeves Callaway is a TUNER, just like Jason or Doug. ALL 4 of the cars that went across the block went for astronomical numbers and we are talking about C4 and C5 here, actually 1 C5 and 3 C4's. And if I remember correctly the earliest was early 90's. Wow, that's a lot of appreciation for cars that are only 15 years old or so that have been done by TUNERS not dealers.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the 02FE would generate some interest but wanted to see a Blue and White FE. Come in(1996) and go out(2002) with a Blue/White Viper GTS. I would want one.

But the 02FE was not a success right now. You can still buy a brand new one today. They are still in show rooms. They are selling for way under sticker.

I have always said that Blue/White 1996 and 1998-GT2 Vipers are the ones that will bring the bigger money.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember, people are still finding new 1996 B/W on the show room floor NEW! Does that mean they were not a success too?

But the 02FE was not a success right now. You can still buy a brand new one today. They are still in show rooms. They are selling for way under sticker.

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember, people are still finding new 1996 B/W on the show room floor NEW! Does that mean they were not a success too?
Cody, I bought the last known b/w still in the hands of the orig dealer that ordered it, the purchase took place back in Sept of 03. It was a 97 GTS b/w.

I searched for a few months for the perfect b/w. I called hundreds of people. Yes hundreds. I e-mailed more than I care to remember. I was sent hundreds of leads on cars people thought I might want.

I found 3 b/w cars in the US that were still on MSO. Only one still in the hands of the orig dealership that ordered it. The dealer wanted it for his own car. Something came up, he wanted to do something, wanted the cash more than the car. He never intended to sell it. I got lucky!

The other two cars were in private hands. One of them, 96 or 97 with less than 10 miles, someone e-mailed me and said the owner wanted over $100K for the car. The other I was told was in a museum (sp?)and will NEVER be sold, it was said to have only 12 miles on it.

I am smart enough to know one car maybe two might have slipped through the crack and may still be out there in a dealers hands, most likley as his own personal car, as mine was before I got lucky right place right time. But the eyes we had helping me are some of the most knowledgeable Viper people out there. If there was one still in a showroom that could be purchased we would have found it, or known about it.

I just thought of one that just came up on the market. A dealer is selling a collection of 19 or 20 of his Vipers he has collected. I think all are untitled, not 100% sure about that. One of the cars he is selling is a b/w. I'm not sure if it's a 96 or 97. It however was not for sale at the time I was buying.

Again, I like the FE, red and white is a beautiful color combo, maybe even my second favorite. Reverse what you said above, I love the red and white, but I wouldn't choose it over a blue and white.

But Jerry is correct, the sales of the FE was not what DC wish it would have been. There were quite a few new FE's when I was looking for my b/w, I saw a few that could be bought new from the dealer for $60K even. I heard of one new one that sold for less, no proof on the less than $60K, just shop talk.

A dealer told me the FE is the second slowest seller next to the SRT-10 in Vipers short history. (I like the SRT. No hate mail please!)

See like thread titled - 97 blue/white GTS...what's it worth?

Live like you want, Drive what you want, otherwise you are living someone else's life! :2tu:

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Picture this...... What if the Red and white color combo was the first color available on a GTS and no other GTS's existed (like in 1996). AND there where only 360 made.... What would the price be 9 years later and would there be any left for sale new?

One model is pushing 10 years old and the other is hardly 2. Come back to me in nine years and then lets compare how many of each are available for sale, new or used.

24 hours of Daytona was won in a Red and White viper.

Yes ABS
No 998
No 999
No NGR
I LOVE IT! &amp; you love your car, good enough for me.

FE PRIDE BABY!

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Who ever prys the keys out of my dead cold hand can worry about what it is worth. I bought mine because I have wanted one since the first one rolled off the line.

That is the right answer! These are cars made in relatively large numbers. If you have one for any other reason aside from enjoyment... You may be disappointed down the road.

OP
OP

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"By Cody".......Picture this...... What if the Red and white color combo was the first color available on a GTS and no other GTS's existed (like in 1996). AND there where only 360 made.... What would the price be 9 years later and would there be any left for sale new?

One model is pushing 10 years old and the other is hardly 2. Come back to me in nine years and then lets compare how many of each are available for sale, new or used.

24 hours of Daytona was won in a Red and White viper.

Yes ABS
No 998
No 999
No NGR
I LOVE IT! &amp; you love your car, good enough for me.

FE PRIDE BABY!

Cody ...now that was an AWESOME POST!!!

Dave :grin: :grin: :grin: