Finally got a Racing Seat to fit in my ACR

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After looking for months I finally decided to take a chance on a Cobra Racer Pro seat. Knowing that this seat was designed to fit inside a Lotus and I figure the Viper's cockpit can't be much cramper than a Lotus', I took the plunge, but still wasn't sure how it would fit. The seat came only with side mount brackets but I was told the bottom mount seats would be easier to install but there's only one other small seat on the market that I know of that has bottom mounts (Sparco TEC) but I find the Cobra more comfortable and stronger (rated for 185 LB driver vs. for 165 LB. driver by the FIA). This seat, however is very tight even for my 160 LB frame so it may not be for everyone but I would highly recommend it even you are on the slim side. There's only a one thumb's gap between the side shoulder bolster and the door panel, but hey it's a lot better than having to cut the door panel or trim the seat.

I leave a bottle of water on the side to show the clearance on the front of the bucket:
You must be registered for see images attach

Seat can be adjusted back and forth by mounting to different holes of the side mounts. I have at least 2 to 3 inches of back and forth adjustment. Seat in photo is in its front most position.

Only one thumb's gap to the door panel. But hey it fits. :headbang:

Seat looks a lot lower than the OEM seat as the back of the seat practically sits just above the floor but still has clearance for the electronic module on the floor.
BTW, I'm 5'11 and find the seat height PERFECT for me. I added a pad behind the seat cushion to make the seat even more comfortable, especially for my lower back.

Not only is this seat very comfortable, along with the Motons, it helps to dial out the bounciness of the ride of car tremendously.

BTW, the new seat/side mount/custom bottom rails together are 26 pounds lighter than the OEM seat and rails.

I had the 1" seat lowering kit on the car, and this seat sits a little lower than that but offers me perfect height. BTW, the 1" kit is now for sale here.

I'm also selling both Teamtech 6 point harness in RED as I've decided to go with the Hans device and the Teamtech belts aren't compatible with the Hans. Ad is here.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you are happy with your seat, it makes a huge difference in lap times. Where is the Cobra built? jc. BTW, you can get your TT harness rebuilt to go with Hans and recertified (new straps). (The ones you have in there don't look as sturdy.)

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bruce, glad you found a seat set up. when are you coming down to the OC, I'd like to sit in it and check out the installation. Also, may want to buy the teamtech for my passenger side. Mike

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just looked and your ad is not approved yet. How much are you asking for the seat lowering kit? Please PM me.

thanks
Steve A.

OP
OP
A

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bruce, glad you found a seat set up. when are you coming down to the OC, I'd like to sit in it and check out the installation. Also, may want to buy the teamtech for my passenger side. Mike

Hey Mike,
I'll be down at Stand 21's store on Harbor Blvd around 2:30 tomorrow afternoon if you want to come by.

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bruce,
Why aren't the Teamtech 6 points compatible with the Han's device???
We'll be at Cars and Coffee in the morning...you coming out for that?

OP
OP
A

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bruce,
Why aren't the Teamtech 6 points compatible with the Han's device???
We'll be at Cars and Coffee in the morning...you coming out for that?
Shoulder belts are too wide and interfere with the Hans device. But if you come to Stand21 tomorrow, they can explain a lot better than I can.
Can't make C and C this Saturday as I need to be in LA in the AM and will be picking up the FGT from Dan, Chris has found another 40 WHP on that crappy 91 tune that was on the car.

OP
OP
A

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you are happy with your seat, it makes a huge difference in lap times. Where is the Cobra built? jc. BTW, you can get your TT harness rebuilt to go with Hans and recertified (new straps). (The ones you have in there don't look as sturdy.)

The belts I have in the car now are the same belts used by many F1 teams so should be good enough for me.

OP
OP
A

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you getting one for the passenger side? Some organizations require the same type of seat for the passenger as the driver.

And same belts too but I am not going to do that so I just won't have passengers or instructors at those events, otherwise wife won't be able to see out when she rides with me on the street. Speaking of driving on the street, this seat , or any firm racing seat would really makes street driving a lot more pleasurable and you might ask how so? The seat is now firm and takes out the bounciness of the ride (along with Motons) and Dodge should consider dumping those OEM seats for something firmer.

OP
OP
A

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you really think the folks that buy Vipers to show off to the neighbors could ever own a sports car with a real racing seat without complaining every single day about it?

I said something firmer, but didn't mean racing seat.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice seat and install! I sometimes wish I had a slender build but I have to work with God gave me. I couldn't fit into that seat but dang it looks good and im sure it saves on some weight too! :2tu:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Bruce, Why aren't the Teamtech 6 points compatible with the Han's device???

Just saw this: CLARIFICATION please !

TeamTech harnesses can be constructed from new to fit with a HANS. Or re-webbed quite reasonably. We always offer the low-cost option, and you DONT have to own a HANS now, to use a HANS-Compatible harness. If you think a HANS might be in your future, choose a harness configuration that allows it, or can be converted: like TEAM TECH.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Shoulder belts are too wide and interfere with the Hans device. But if you come to Stand21 tomorrow, they can explain a lot better than I can.
Can't make C and C this Saturday as I need to be in LA in the AM and will be picking up the FGT from Dan, Chris has found another 40 WHP on that crappy 91 tune that was on the car.

On the Team Tech and HANS device question. Bruce is correct, if you ordered the 3-inch wide, padded Team Tech shoulder belts (called Ram Pack, I think), they are very comfortable while driving but don't work with the new HANS set up.

HOWEVER, you can have Team Tech make two new shoulder straps for you that are compatible with the new HANS device and match your existing Team Tech seat belts. I just did this through Jon B at Parts Rack and the new, narrower straps not only look great and work well, but this is a bunch cheaper than buying a new set of seat belts.

I also had the right shoulder strap made in red to match the red driver's stripe in my ACR's hood and steering wheel.

For those of you ordering new 5 or 6 point seat belts, you really need to "Begin with the end in mind", if you may someday want to use a HANS device, you should order your seat belts accordingly.

Dan

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Crow Belts that are 2" wide at the shoulder. When set up correctly they will fit right in the slot on your Hans.
I would not recommend using 2" belts without the Hans. 3" will spread the load. JMO

But, buy all means, buy what you wish, and go fast!