Finally! My '05 is Back On the Road!

05SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many of you will remember my post several weeks ago that outlined my many tribulations that started immediately after I purchased a used '05 from a dealership in Minneapolis. Only 2 weeks after I returned to Illinois, it spun a bearing, and I was in for an engine swap. Due to my limited budget, I opted for a used 10K-mile engine that was said to "run perfect" by the seller. The local dealership performed the swap, but encountered a number of setbacks along the way, and I was ultimately without my car for about 6 weeks before getting it back with a loud rattle coming from the left valve cover. Long story short, I discovered 2 bent pushrods at the no. 7 cylinder. I replaced both and cranked it again. The exhaust pushrod bent immediately, the other one appeared to work fine. I removed the head and discovered the exhaust valve seat protruding approx. 3/16" into the cylinder. I replaced the entire head with the one from my other engine, swapped the valves, rockers, etc. and she runs great for the first time in over 2 months. Thanks to all who provided tips and thoughts along the way, and thanks to Dan and Viper Specialty Performance for providing my new head gasket with minimal wait and top-notch customer service. It's a perfect fit, and the lifter removal provision is brilliant, though I hope to never use that feature.

jdavis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear that your problems are behind you and that you will get to enjoy your new '05. Good luck and many happy miles to you:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten