First No Front Plate Ticket

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got my first no front plate ticket yesterday sitting on a parking meter in the Distrct of Columbia. Meter maid must have been upset I didn't let the meter run dry and wanted to write me a ticket for something. Also marked the ticket Tow Required. Glad I got to the car before the tow truck showed up.......:omg:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got my first no front plate ticket yesterday sitting on a parking meter in the Distrct of Columbia. Meter maid must have been upset I didn't let the meter run dry and wanted to write me a ticket for something. Also marked the ticket Tow Required. Glad I got to the car before the tow truck showed up.......:omg:

Wow, never heard of getting towed for no front plate. Doesnt seem right, you could steal someones front plate while there parked, then meter maid comes by and tows their car. Not very fair. In California its required,but its just a $10 fix it ticket.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Through 3 Vipers and 2 Vettes I got pulled 6 times till I put on the ugly front plate. Va is awful about it. But, I am sure I could drive my wife's minivan for 6 months w/o one.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can also get ticked in another state for not having your front plate on if it's required in your home state. Happened to me twice. Got a ticket once and a warning the other time. I had SD plates on my car and got ticketed in MN for not displaying my front plate. The kicker was, some idiot backed into me and knocked it off along with the bracket earlier that day in a parking lot at the Mall Of America. I couldn't reattach it. I was parked at a meter next to the Metro Dome while at a Twins game when I got the ticket. Nice thank you for coming to MN and spending money. :mad: Now I live there. :dunno:

The other time I was in Kansas and got pulled over on the interstate for not displaying my MN front plate but he let me go with a warning. Told the trooper I just bought the car and it didn't have a front bracket and was going to order one as soon as I got home which was actually the truth. :rolleyes:

Neither of those instances involved Vipers. I NEVER put a front plate on my '97 GTS and never got hassled about it even though I got pulled over many times. Go figure.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GEESH--That IS a bit harsh!!! Glad also you made it before the tow truck came....not that big of an offense to warrant towing, AND a ticket too? You weren't even DRIVING it!!!
unbelievable....juli

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Write them a letter saying your, "quick-detach" plate w/ bracket were in the back and that you take it off when leaving the car unattended, as it's not permanently attached. Then I'd recommend buying the Partsrack clothespin lic. plate bracket if you don't already have one.............in case they want to see it.

I suppose your state requires you to have adequate EQUIPMENT while on any public premises. The no-front-plate isn't a moving violation. Good luck and hopefully it wasnt' too expensive. Dang meter-maids anyhow.........

OP
OP
F

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
50 bucks...I'll pay that all day long. The only time I'll ever put a front plate on this car is when they invent one that makes it go faster.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well that's one to check on, I can't believe it's really a tow if you have the back plate with current stickers on it, geesh.

In 7 years of driving with no front plate on 2 vehicles at any given time, I've gotten one, a MD state trooper who drove across an interstate median into fast lane traffic to get me in the slow lane. Funny thing was, I was on my way to the track in my 2000 RT/10, had the helmet on the seat - although our cops are usually decent from my exp, this guy was a **** and a half - he was barking at me & asked why i had a helmet in the car - told him I only drive fast at the track, hence my under the speed limit pace while I was heading to the track. That kinda shut him up, but cost me $50 bucks. Towing would be crazy.

OP
OP
F

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I had a scanner I would post the ticket. The box is checked Tow Required........I couldn't believe it either. I'm just glad I got to it before the wrecker did. No telling what or how they would have hooked up and did to the car. Unbelievable. I will never take my car back to DC.....

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ILLinois is a front plate required state also but I heard that if the car does not have some sort of bracket on the car fom the factory that the front plate would not be mandatory. :dunno: Just what I heard from someone:dunno:
It is bull crap that some states have front plates and others don't.:mad: :usa:
How many motorcycles have a front plate????:rant: :grumble:

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got one here in Colorado (also by a parking enforcement person.) Ticket was $16.

It would have to be $1600 before I would consider getting a front plate.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a foam clip on bracket for the plate from PartsRack and keep it stuffed in front of my passenger seat. I had a cop in a parking lot come over and was going to give me a ticket for no plate. I just said " Oh crap, I was at a car show over the weekend and forgot to put it back on." I pulled it out and clipped it on in seconds and He didn't ticket me. Took it back off when I got home and put it back under the seat.:2tu:

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Through 3 Vipers and 2 Vettes I got pulled 6 times till I put on the ugly front plate. Va is awful about it. But, I am sure I could drive my wife's minivan for 6 months w/o one.

Hope you're not putting one on the new car!

Venum S 1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Illinois you must run a front plate. I bought a truck out of Indiana which had no bracket or holes drilled in front and cop gave me a warning. He told me if it did not have one from the factory I better take it in and get one put on. He also pulled me over for tinted windows which is also illegal in Illinois. Have not got pulled over yet in the GTS but I am sure it will come.