First Oil Change Questions…

rgifford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I have managed to run up 300 miles on the car and I need to change the oil and have a couple of questions:

What type of filter should be used? (regular of synthetic)
How many Quarts do I need?
Any special tricks or things I should know about before I do this??

Thanks

Robert

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Use the MOPAR oil filter for Vipers. Use Mobil 1 10-30 for street application and 15-50 for race application. You'll need between 8 and 9 quarts of oil. Get yourself the proper sized drain tank from your local Autozone or Pep Boys. The change process is very straight forward. After draining the oil pan, replace the drain plug. Try loosening the filter with your hand first. If this doen't work, I prefer the plier type filter tool to loosen the filter. You can get these at Autozone or Pep Boys also. You'll have to get used to dropping the oil filter through the small triangular access hole in the frame. You'll find that placing the front jack stands in position that won't be in the way of your drain tank will make the job a lot easier. Your first few times, you'll probably make a mess of both the frame and your forearm. Have a few rags with you so you can easily clean up both when you're done. Put some oil on the rubber seal to the new oil filter. Hand-tighten the new oil filter. Fill 'er up at the valve cover location and check your dip-stick level. Don't forget to put the oil filler cap back on!

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Frank says is correct, but one little trick which can eliminate most, if not all, the "oil down the arm" thing , is to take a screwdriver and puncture the oil filter and let it drain for a while; then remove it.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uhmmm... I was charged for 10 qts of Mobile1 when I had my first oil change. This was for a '01 GTS. Does that make a difference?

--- Ken
'01 GTS

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Based on earlier posts, I'd pass on the MOPAR filter and go straight to the Mobil 1 filter. Will not negatively impact your warranty.

Model M1-204</FONT f>

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2001 GTS takes 10 quarts. (Crankcase capacity varies with the year.) Since it's difficult to completely drain the system, I usually pour in 9-1/2 quarts, check the oil level, and add as necessary. Then check again after starting. I'd use 10W-30 Mobil One. The Mobil One oil filter is #M1-204, cost is $9.99 at AutoZone stores in Virginia; you might find one at Target, but it's not usually stocked. The same filter is also available thru Mopar Performance for a buck cheaper, but it's doubtful your dealer would have one in stock.

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I've completed 5 years of hard road racing in my 96 GTS and never used anything but a stock MOPAR oil filter. The Mobil 1 oil filters have a history of failing that has been documented on this board. I don't see the purpose of using a different oil filter.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All my oil changes have been with the Mopar filter (250mi, 1000mi, 2500mi, 5000mi and 7100mi(in 3 months)). I Just bought a Mobil-1 filter at Autozone here today and it was $13.00!!

I usually buy the Mobil-1 10w30 at Wally World for $17.50 for a 5 quart jug (2 for my 10qt "00), Then I take it to Chapo at the Dodge house and I rack it, he changes it (and we visit) and they supply the Mopar filter and his labor for $13.00!! Total oil change cost = $48.00 I was planning on doing it myself next time (no big deal) but I've already spent as much on just this M-1 filter. Now I'll be spending my time and my effort and not chatting with Chapo and he won't get his cut of the $13.00... next time I think I'll stick with paying for the filter and labor.

I have been to the track a few times, drive my snake pretty hard normally and think the Mopar filter works great.
cool.gif