First post (this will be long, sorry!)

danfromohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone! This being my first post on this forum, I hope this is in the appropriate place. I am looking for any advice, insight, criticism, encouragement, etc. that you may be able to offer.

Let me start off by saying I do not own a Viper yet, but I hope to be in a position to acquire a 1994 or 1995 RT-10 in the future (4 or 5 years). I currently drive a 2003 MINI Cooper (please don't laugh, it was the most fun and stylish car I could afford a couple years back! Plus I needed a back seat for my youngster). I know it would seem that the MINI and the Viper couldn't be more different: A 115 HP FWD hatchback and a 400 HP RWD supercar! However, there are some similarities. Both have a hugely loyal following, both are designed to be fun to drive, and both are immediately recognizeable when spotted.

The Viper has been my dream car since 1991 (I was 15), my dad and I went to the Indy 500 and I saw Carroll Shelby driving the RT-10 pace car. I later went to the local Dodge dealership and saw it up close and I was hooked. To me, the Viper is THE car, be it an RT-10 or GTS or SRT-10. I have been collecting Viper die cast cars ever since. As time passed, I never thought I would ever be able to own one of these awesome cars. I thought perhaps I would one day settle for a Corvette or some other lesser car. I am by no means wealthy, my wife is a teacher and I am a claims adjuster. Combined we make around $80k per year, but we have only our house, our cars and a small student loan by way of debts. And now, with some decent looking pre-owned RT-10 prices being around $30,000 or less, I think once the MINI is paid off I might be able to swing one. I currently only put about 5,000 miles per year on my MINI, and it is my daily driver (my work place is only 4 miles each way from home, and I have no social life!) So I would guess if I drive the Viper in the summer and early fall only, I would put around 2000 miles per year on it. Are these $30,000 Vipers generally ok cars for the limited use mine would see (I know I would need to individually check them out, just talking generally speaking)? Are maintenance costs going to eat me alive? If anybody on here owns a Viper and is not making over $50,000 a year, please tell me I'm not crazy for thinking I could fulfill this dream of mine! Am I getting in over my head with this car? I have the Viper buyers guide coming, so I know it will answer some of my questions.
Sorry for the long first post! I have been checking out the forum, you guys have some terrific looking cars! All of you guys who own Vipers, please know that you are living my dream!

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You should be fine with a 94-95 only putting 2K a year on it. The earlier Viper are not great for daily driving but, only being 4 miles away from work, it will work out great. The cost of maintenance is not that bad, however if you are ever in need of repairs it might get costly. The Gen 1 Vipers are prone to Head gaskets problems, so you might want to find one that has had them replaced. Your Dream can come true and if you have your budget in order you will have no problems. The Viper community is a great place to find a nice viper and most of the guys on the forum will help you out greatly. I hope that this has helped you and it’s great to have you on here. Let me know if there is anything else that I can help with. Good Luck!

OP
OP
D

danfromohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words and the info. Do you have any general idea, if worse came to worse, what it would cost to replace a head gasket?

Viper Fever

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Danfromohio
The only way you can fill that empty spot in you is to buy the Viper.Live your dream we all felt that way.I only hope one is enough for you.You will not be disappointed
after 8 years of ownership I still am awed by them every time I go in my garage.---------------

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OP
OP
D

danfromohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know you guys are right, I have got to have a Viper! And the head gasket cost actually doesn't scare me off at all. As the Viper will not be my daily driver, I could save up the money for this repair pretty quickly.

OP
OP
D

danfromohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i live about 15 mins from cincy, n e way was this pic taken the same day u were at indy?

You must be registered for see images
Had to have been! Man, the sound of that Viper, even against the Indy cars, was impressive. It would come roaring out of pit lane on the cautions, and you just knew that car was something else! By the way, I live on the east side of Cincy in Amelia. You don't fancy to give me a ride in your Viper, do you?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure you can pay your other bills first (nothing worse than getting a Viper repo'ed), then go for it! The grin on your face everytime you get into it makes it worth almost any price!

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found my GTS 2 years ago for $39K (I was making a tad more than $50K a year, but not much more). There were minor things that needed to be taken care of, but nothing super expensive. About a month ago, there was a 98 RT/10 near me that was going for $32K. I think that if you do the research, you can find a GEN II close to the low $30K range (not a low mileage or collector car mind you).

As for maintenance costs, I do my own oil changes ($60 for materials every 3K miles) and other miscellaneous stuff (brakes, upgrades not too complicated, etc.). The tires run between $800-1400 a set. I find that the rears wear out roughly twice as fast as the fronts, so plan on replacing the rears first (8-10k miles a set is average).

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I am no expert, but the others who read this board can answer as well. Good luck!

OP
OP
D

danfromohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found my GTS 2 years ago for $39K (I was making a tad more than $50K a year, but not much more). There were minor things that needed to be taken care of, but nothing super expensive. About a month ago, there was a 98 RT/10 near me that was going for $32K. I think that if you do the research, you can find a GEN II close to the low $30K range (not a low mileage or collector car mind you).

As for maintenance costs, I do my own oil changes ($60 for materials every 3K miles) and other miscellaneous stuff (brakes, upgrades not too complicated, etc.). The tires run between $800-1400 a set. I find that the rears wear out roughly twice as fast as the fronts, so plan on replacing the rears first (8-10k miles a set is average).

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I am no expert, but the others who read this board can answer as well. Good luck!
That is good info. Thanks for the reply!

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when I enlisted in the Navy, all I wanted was to be an officer. I dreamed about it every day, imagining the position, responsibility, respect, wearing the uniform, the whole bit.

I truly believe the more you have a passion for something, the greater probability it WILL happen.

I got an NROTC scholarship and went back in the Navy as an officer, dream come true for me.

Keep focusing on your viper and you WILL be driving one, it's just a question of WHEN:)

Hope you can make it to the V10's in Columbus!

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll second what Leslie says. I first drove a Viper when I was in flight school and it took me 7 years of dreaming to get one. I also had to deploy to the Middle East 2 times to get my finances in order to be able to buy one (by the way, I put no money down and got 5% interest on a 6 year old used car........so its possible to make the payments affordable).

The biggest thing I realized after coming home from a war was that life is too short. I don't take things for granted as much now. I now do things and buy things with the thought that I won't be around forever.

:)

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you stated you have no social life, buy the VIPER and you'll never say that again :headbang:

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan:

Am virtually in your back yard. Feel free to drop me a PM if you want further. I am also in the insurance industry (claims) and live in Cincinnati suburb.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you stated you have no social life, buy the VIPER and you'll never say that again :headbang:

He's got that right. You'll have to get used to the sensation of being stared at all the time, at every light and gas station you stop. Your stopped at a light and you glance over to the car next to you to see a bunch of noses mashed up against the glass squeeling (this would be the kids, not girls :) ) like you're from outer space. You're not in car anymore, you're in a rolling circus and you are the ringmaster.

Do it!

95RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am still in Viper heaven. Just got mine 7 months ago and have been smiling ever since. I recommend a Viper for anyone who wants to enjoy life just a bit more than most and have respect from most everyone on the road. No time like the present. As far as cost - you will find a way.

OP
OP
D

danfromohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. I have made up my mind that it will be a Viper, the only issue is when. I am thinking it may be best to carry out the following plan. Pay off my car as scheduled in 3 years, then pay my wife's car off in the next 6 months. Then I will have a pretty good chunk of money to get a nice RT-10. And if anyone near Cincinnati wants to give me a ride in their Viper, I'll gladly come out and pick up the tab for lunch!
You know, my MINI Cooper gets looks from other people, but I know the Viper will get looks from car enthusiasts!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang