First track day on Kumho's

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a set of the new Kumho Ecsta XS, in the OE sizes for my '08, from JonB at Parts Rack. Yesterday was my first day on the track with them and I have to say that it's crucial to put plenty of heat in them before your really "get on it" because they understeer like crazy until you do. Although they do provide good grip in steady state cornering, the turn in is not as crisp as I would have liked. Overall a very good tire for the money. And while they don't have the ultimate grip level of say, Hoosier R6's or the PS2 Cup tires, you can drive to and from the track on them and they don't cost a fortune!

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you compare based to the PS2 on the street? I do some aggressive driving on the street, but I don't have the opportunity to heat them up like I would on a track.

i.e. do the PS2's on the street breakaway/understeer like the Kumho's?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I got a set of the new Kumho Ecsta XS, in the OE sizes for my '08, from JonB at Parts Rack. Yesterday was my first day on the track with them and I have to say that it's crucial to put plenty of heat in them before your really "get on it" because they understeer like crazy until you do. Although they do provide good grip in steady state cornering, the turn in is not as crisp as I would have liked. Overall a very good tire for the money. And while they don't have the ultimate grip level of say, Hoosier R6's or the PS2 Cup tires, you can drive to and from the track on them and they don't cost a fortune!

Thanks for the feedback.... We had pre-warned to add +2 PSI in fronts, in anticipation of cold-tire-understeer. Did you make any PSI adjustements, or just wait for lap 3 to heat em up? If you are coming off RunFlats this would be a huge improvement.....but NOT as crisp as CUPS. THANKS !