Five days with the Viper so far....

MarkRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys-

I picked up my Viper from a fellow forum member last week. In the past 5 days Ive owned it its been tons of fun. Ive been driving the hell out of it and have been to the gas station every day for the past 5 consecutive days. The attention you get in this thing is unreal. Ive had people follow me to ask questions, little kids run after the car, stop light conversations on a daily basis, etc etc. I picked up a girl Im dating the day I bought the car without telling her and you should have seen the look on her face. Priceless.

Ive also seen people pull the "im not looking face" and try and look forward while their eyes follow the car.

The sport bike scene seems to love it, everytime they see me it seems like they only know how to use the back tire.

Its definetly a chick magnet, all smiles and waves.

One thing that is annoying though is when people tail gate the car. I dont see the purpose in people doing this. Earlier today I had a bunch of teenage kids tail gate the hell out of me all the way to a stop light and proceed to rev their honda accord. On most days I wouldnt bother, but I couldnt help but bring the V10 up to 5 grand and watch them laugh like a bunch of school girls. When the light turned green I flew the hell out of there to avoid these morons, which in turn was a stupid move as 2nd gear can bring on 70 very fast. Yikes.

Its definetly everything I expected and more. Im very glad with my decision as I considered many other sports cars for years.

Ive had alot of people ask me how much I paid for it. Not just family/friends- but random people at gas stations and stop lights. I usually just tell them what I paid as I dont want to come off as being snobby, but then Im not sure if this ****** them off even more. I dont consider what I paid to be alot, but to others it might be.

How do you guys answer that question?

Heres the car, 2001 RT/10

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:
V

Venomiss

Nice car!!
They have discussed this in an earlier thread-

http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=603248

You might find it entertaining.
Best rule of thumb: being nice doesn't cost a thing. People will remember the guy in the red Viper and what you said to them. Who knows-you just might inspire another future Viper owner.
Find a club near you if you haven't already-much more fun to cruise with other Vipers.;)

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats MarkRx!!! The car looks great and I'm glad you're having a lot of fun!

On the price question issue, I usually say "the original owner paid near $90k for this car and I just got a bargain I couldn't refuse...." it helps them see the value that they expect, without revealing anything and you compliment your own intelligence in realizing this one-time type offer....which makes you appear shrewd.

I look forward to meeting you at an event someday!

Regards,
Aaron

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats on the new Viper! I've had mine for almost three months and I can't help but to drive it almost every day (and fill it up almost every day :( ). Vipers are so rare, the attention they gets are unreal. I think also the fact that it's an American car puts a lot of smiles on people's faces.

I know what you mean about the tail gaters, I get at least one every time I'm on the road... I don't know if it's jealousy or just some **** who tail gates everyone no matter what car it is.

I haven't had anyone ask the "how much was it?" question, but I imagine I'd answer it by saying about as much as a nice new BMW or SUV.

My two favorite comments so far:

"Is it fast?"
"Does it have leather?"

Some people... :dunno:

Anyway, nothing beats going to a VCA event and cruising with other Vipers, now that draws attention!! Last week we had 30 Vipers pulling out of a parking lot and we had an audience of 50+ people just standing there watching us parade out with their jaws dropped :2tu: good times.

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats on the car. I just bought my GTS about a month ago.

I had a raised up truck follow me for a few miles on the highway. Got up to about 80 to get away from them and they followed... Got to a stoplight and saw it was a bunch of teens trying to take pics with their camera phones. Kept following me so I pulled into a parking lot and let them take pictures of it.

On the price issue: Being 19 years old and being part of a pretty wealthy and well-known family(in my huge city of 22,000 people:p). More than anything I get remarks about people assuming my parents bought me the car(which they put no money towards, same with my brother's vette). If it's somebody who I think is genuinely interested, I have no problem telling them, along with a "it was a steal" remark. As for random nosy people, I usually say, "it'll keep me in debt until I sell it", along with a few words about being young is the time to do it if you can... sell it for family, larger house, building credit history, etc...

You can't keep all your money in the stock market, gotta enjoy life a little right now.

Wow... I blab belled a lot..

OP
OP
M

MarkRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the car. I just bought my GTS about a month ago.

I had a raised up truck follow me for a few miles on the highway. Got up to about 80 to get away from them and they followed... Got to a stoplight and saw it was a bunch of teens trying to take pics with their camera phones. Kept following me so I pulled into a parking lot and let them take pictures of it.

On the price issue: Being 19 years old and being part of a pretty wealthy and well-known family(in my huge city of 22,000 people:p). More than anything I get remarks about people assuming my parents bought me the car(which they put no money towards, same with my brother's vette). If it's somebody who I think is genuinely interested, I have no problem telling them, along with a "it was a steal" remark. As for random nosy people, I usually say, "it'll keep me in debt until I sell it", along with a few words about being young is the time to do it if you can... sell it for family, larger house, building credit history, etc...

You can't keep all your money in the stock market, gotta enjoy life a little right now.

Wow... I blab belled a lot..

Wow dude, 19 with a Viper. I thought I was ahead of the pack at 24. I know my age has alot to do with some of the questions im asked, but 19 is crazy young. Good for you and good luck with yours as well.

Obsidian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the black/silver stripe combo. It was very hard to sell out to red for it.

If you are refering to my car, it is actually Sapphire Blue. The neat thing about this color is that it is extremely dark. In full sun light, it is clearly blue... but in any type of shade it looks jet black.

Here is a picture from about a month or two ago:
viperGTS6.jpg

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on your Viper, very clean looking :2tu:
I'm a step behind you, waiting to still purchase...when I mention Viper, everyone's like, "those are 90 grand :rolaugh: then everyone looks :omg:

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like that blue. Still have my dad's blue 68 charger with a white vynal top. That blue and white always is great. My viper is red but I'm not complaining, I think I would like it in any color. Watch out, in second gear mine can lose control at around 60, can run out from under you depending on conditions.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The money question always makes me think of The Rock when Nicolas Cage wrecks the car and some dude on the street says: "Damn! You just wrecked your Ferrari!"

..... it's not mine. :omg:

Trust me, I caught a LOT of flak being 21 with a new C5 at the time. Just shrug it off... ...and enjoy getting all those phone numbers literally thrown into your passenger seat by girls at stop lights. :2tu::headbang:

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score
>>holy balls that car is in great shape, good pick

As the former owner, thanks for the props. I will say that I did have my yellow labrador/shepherd mix in the car 3 times total (in 5 yrs ownership) and she shed like crazy leaving dog hair in difficult places to vacuum.

Mark (new owner), you have no idea how much time I spent getting all the dog hair embedded into the fibers out. I painstakingly plucked many by hand, then broke out my wet/dry vacuum with oodles of suction power and vacuumed every imaginable inch of the interior, behind the seats, etc. Was a PITA, but the carpeting was pretty much spotless when you bought it. Also had a nice Zaino bumper-to-bumper job as well.

Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying it and all the attention.

I find it interesting that you are getting oodles of attention the 1st week you had it. I too got attention, but nothing like the 1st week or month I bought the car. Its like there is this aurora surrounding new Viper owners that other people can sense. Anyone else notice this?

Not to say I didn't get plenty of attention the 5 years I had the car, but it just seemed the 1st month I got more people approaching me at gas stations and such. Maybe your body language changes the longer you have it? i.e. after awhile, your body language says "leave me the f- alone, I'm just trying to fill up here damn it!" :smirk:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the new car! She's beautiful! About the "how much did it cost?" question, this is without a doubt the most annoying question. I hate it when people ask that! Depending on my mood, I answer:

a) "enough"
b) A new one costs around $90,000
c) Its a rental. I'm paying $500/day :)

If they offer an answer like "what'd it cost? $80k?" I just say "yeah, somewhere in there"

SNKVENOM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats dude. Looks Great. I have the exact viper but a 98 about 2 mo. now. My fav. question is " Is that New". and I say Yea to me it is!!!!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Great post and you might as well get used to the attention. The price question will come up alot, as surprisingly the general public is quite unsure what one does run. I have heard this question asked for so many years, I think it is just an excited burst of enthusiasm erupting for a speaking mouth and a brain that is still so stunned by the machine it has not caught up with any of the utterings from below.

I often go with the fun ones .................

How much did it cost??

1.You'll have to ask the Bank, I just make payments.
2. I think about 20,000,000 in pesos.
3. More than my first house.
4. and................though I have only been married once and still am...................

" Less than my first wife cost me!"

If you think the speaker grills in the hood will cause alot of conversation, wait till they find the light levelers for the headlights.

Some favorites to be said with a straight face;
1 ( air intake for the airbox , with it's fakey twin ). Yeh, I had them hook up some killer speakers right into the hood. It has a dynamite killer amp in the trunk and I blast everyone out at the car shows.
2. ( Light levelers )
a). I try not to point that out, as I had a radar jammer rigged up and you never know who could be a law enforcement officer.
b) Oh, those are damn government enforced speed limiters. They sense when you go over 180 mph and shut the car down, as a conventional governor won't work on a V10!
c) No big deal, it is just a temperature probe for the automatic cooling mode of my air conditioner.
d) Funny looking aren't they, but they just shut off the high beams automatically when another car approaches.
e) It senses the air temperature to open the electronic radiator flaps to cool down the motor on hot days.

Well, you get the drift........................:headbang:

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I told one kid that the levellers in the headlights were because I'm kinda like James Bond and the levellers are for the hidden machine gun that shoots out the air intake...but I can't display it at car shows or I'll have to reveal my identity.

He really believed me and walked away with his chin still on his chest! I'm sure his conversation with Dad later must have been very interesting!

Regards,
Aaron

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Most asked questions for me:

1.) How much?:
Enough
Honest answer if I think they're genuinely interested(say it was a steal)
etc...

2.) How fast have you gone?:
(As much as I'd love to take it out and try to get it up in the 190's, I'll be the first that after only having it for a couple weeks, I'm not ready to die:p)
I usually gun it to 100mph and then drop it down to the speed limit. x>25mph over speed limit and you get your license taken away on the spot, and I don't want that either..

3.)I'll trade you straight up for my ___(**** car).

4.)Can I drive it?:
No..

TT ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sweet Car!! Yeah, it's funny, it just gets better the longer you have em. There is just no way to get bored with it either because
they are so much fun. Enjoy that car and be careful with it.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
congrats! Attention for was fun, but after a while it got annoying. It does get people excited though! Get some nice spark plug wires and girls take off all their clothes. Very true!