Flasher Relay for LED lighting guys!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just a heads up, we now have LED specific flasher relays for the SRT-10's to get rid of the "Fast Flash". These do not have the fuse burn out issues on Hazard, or other issues of the sort that pop up with many of these so-called fixes. NO load resistors needed.

Price is 44.95. I know its a bit higher than some other flashers, but these are not off-the-shelf, we have to modify them for this application.

http://viperspecialtyperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=245

Last edited:

King_

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just a heads up, we now have LED specific flasher relays for the SRT-10's to get rid of the "Fast Flash". These do not have the fuse burn out issues on Hazard, or other issues of the sort that pop up with many of these so-called fixes. NO load resistors needed.

Price is 44.95. I know its a bit higher than some other flashers, but these are not off-the-shelf, we have to modify them for this application.

This is a huge break through for such a small mod! Great job on your attention to detail and acknowledging there was a need for a correct fix as oppose to a "bandaid"

Awesome!!!

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Order placed...the turn signals are the last bulbs that have not been converted to LED, minus the head and fog lights.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good job Dan! I found every 'off the shelf' LED flasher relay that claimed to work had some sort of issue. I returned them all.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not a problem guys! Plenty of them already out the door, only one left in stock at the moment. More on the way right now for modification.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So today I decided to tackle the turn signal bulbs - I bought some amber 3157 LEDs (tower SMD types), along with the relay referenced above to eliminate the dreaded fast flash:

http://viperspecialtyperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=245

It did eliminate the fast flashing, but it did NOT cure another problem: with the LEDs installed, both brake lights would light up in unison with the blinker (so if the right blinker was on, the right front and right rear amber LEDs would flash along with BOTH sets of brake lights). That was no bueno, so I reinstalled the amber incandescent bulbs for now.

So what gives? The coupe and convertible tail lights are different (the coupes have the same tail lights that all Viper coupes have had) - they use 3 x 3157 type red LEDs per side, and there are no issues with them as long as the turn signals are standard bulbs. Put just one LED in the mix and it all goes to hell.

Is the wiring the same between the convertibles and the coupes? The only options to fix this are to:

A. Add load resistors (don't want to do that)
B. Use the V3 bulbs, which are super expensive but have the required load built in (I'm not currently willing to plunk down that much change just to get those last 4 bulbs to cooperate)

Any thoughts or others that have had similar experiences with the coupe turn signals?

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is definitely a first. I can tell you without question it does not apply to any Verts, nor have I heard from any Coupe owners that there is a problem- but again, I have no idea who many are that buy these and for what use.

Based on what you are saying, the problem is obviously a back-feed somewhere in the system. The Brake Lamps are being fed by the turn signal. It is likely how the system is grounded or the selection of parts you are using. I will take a look at the wiring diagram for a coupe and report back. Edit: Just looked. All grounds on the rear tail are common per side on the coupe, just like the Vert. This means that a few things could be causing this:

1. Poor chassis ground. All current at that small level should be going directly to ground, but for some reason it is back-feeding your brake lamps. Check grounds on each side.

2. Non-polarized brake lamp bulbs. {We don't use these for this reason} Polarized bulbs would be incapable of back-feeding like you are describing.

3. Load-resisted turn signals. {We don't use these for this reason} These will pass enough current to upset things, especially if mixed with non-load resisted brake lamps and non-polarized bulbs.

4. Any chance the coupe has "repeater" side markers like the front of the coupe/vert have from the factory? This incandescent bulb may be causing an issue as well. I honestly cannot recall if it does or not, and have all Verts here at the moment.

Also, just curious, what exactly did you alter or omit from the front turn signals in order to get them properly working? I assume the ground was altered or the outer bulb is being left out when adding the four primary LED's in the corners? Make sure that you have the "small" outer turn signal unplugged at this time to make sure it is not related to the back-feed, which it could be if it is still incandescent or bi-polar. This is highly unlikely to be the cause, but just figured its worth a quick "unplug" to isolate.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger