Fluids change

Doug GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got oil, coolant, tranny, diff, brake and clutch fluids changed. $728 with tax for all. Is that a fair price? They also inspected brakes, greased hinges etc.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Im waiting to hear Chuck's reply!

Supplies list for about $200....labor was $500. Almost a 6-hr job for one person......ASSUMING 'they' did it thoroughly and correctly.

The feeling of knowing its done? PRICELESSSSsssss

OP
OP
D

Doug GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

Viper Tech did it. They gave me a 10% discount from their "normal" price. Oil change normally $120, they always charge me $79.

P.S. I asked them to use DOT 4 fluid in brake and clutch change. Any downside? Thanks for your help!

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Team Cheap is very glad we do all our own service..... That;s getting close to a set of Hoosiers....

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doug, That's a fair price for having it done by a ViperTech.

I personally wouldn't have it because I just did all this myself and although it took time I feel like I know that much more about my car and know what is in it. Just my peace of mind.

The dot 4 is perfect although I would have used MotulRBF even if I had to buy it and bring it there.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doug,

Fluids:
10 qts @ $5 = $50
Oil filter = $10
Coolant 2gls @ $7 = $14
brake/clutch 12oz = $10
Tranny 4qts @ $2 = $ 8
rear axle 2qts @ $8 = $16
Axle modifier 4oz = $ 6

Total = $114

Labor:
With a rack and the right tools ,pressure bleeder for brakes,etc,it should be no more than 3 hours.

Total: 3hours @ $80 = $ 240

labor + supplies = $ 354

Fair price?
Since you have a Viper,you must have a lot of money and consequently you are paying a "Viper Tax".

A good example of this "Tax" is the "Skip Shift Eliminator",the Viper,Corvette and Firebird use the same but if you order one from a Viper supplier you will,most of the time, paid almost twice as much than if you buy one from Summit.

Luc.00GTS

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Adams:
Luc

Your price on Transmission fluid sounds a little low. Mopar synthetic is not that cheap, I also question price on rear end fluid

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree!! Prices sound really low.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

you are right on the tranny fluid,synthetic will be more expensive but the manual for my 00GTS call for Dexron III.

Luc.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
you are right on the tranny fluid,synthetic will be more expensive but the manual for my 00GTS call for Dexron III
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wasn't that a misprint in the manual? I saw a thread on that a while back.

Mike

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a TSB that upgrades the Dexron III to Mopar Synthetic Manual Trans Lubricant 75W-85. p/n 04874459 cost about $19/qt. Supposedly reduces NGR, if that bothers anybody.

Rear diff is Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant 75W-140 p/n 04874469 cost about $20/qt.

Can probably get more affordable oils from Royal Purple or Redline. Don't know if they're any better or worse.

I would also say it takes considerably longer than three hours to do all of it. Admittedly I have the back of a 90 year old so I tend to take lotsa breaks.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Chuck,
The only reason for the change is the NGR? If that did not bother you, that fluid is OK for use? If so, would the shifting be smoother due to the viscosity of the oil being thinner?

Mike

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonB - PartsRack:
Im waiting to hear Chuck's reply!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

O-ME?

Doug GTS,

This is what I come up with [My area of the Country $$!].

Mobil 1 [10qts]: $60.00
<u> MOPAR ALL THE WAY!:</u>
Oil filter: $9.95
2 qts 75W-140 syn: 38.00
4 qts 75W-85 syn: 86.00
1 rr diff additive: 6.25
B/fluid dot 3: 13.00
Coolant: 12.00
Check brakes [ok]:
Lube:
Labor: 2.5 hrs[90per] = 225.00
Total = $450.20 + tax

You must be registered for see images

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's what it cost me using Amsoil stuff:

Oil $85
Filter $12
Tranny $40
Differential $26
Dot 4 $10

Total $173

Labor for all the above was $75. Used a quick lube pit for all the gear and motor oils. They charged me $30 for 1.5 hours or so. The brake flush I had done per the manual and was $45. I have the coolant to do.

Maybe someone out there can offer an answer to this observation I made after switching the tranny and differential this past spring. My car, since new, typically ran right at the third bar on the temp. gauge. Changing the motor oil to Amsoil didn't affect this noticeably. However, when I changed out the tranny and differential fluid this year, my temp. dropped to half way between the second and third bar. We had one of the hottest summers on record this year and the car ran cooler. What else besides the lubricants could cause the car too run cooler under basically the same driving conditions ?

Steve

--my manual also states Dextron III. The transmission case however, has a sticker for Castrol Syntorq gear lube.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine