For road racing what is better??

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm only going to be doing de events about 4-8 a year with no real racing, so I ask you guys this. Will I have problems with the Sean Roe supercharger or will I better off staying Na and doing ported heads and cam?? I am concerned with heat and engine reliability. I wish I had the money for an intercooled charger but I dont. I have yet to break the car in, but I know I need more power cause all my vette buddies are putting out stout #s and I know they would kill me in a street race :p These guys run low 11s and high tens all day long :eek:

Reaction score
Make the first investment is driving schools. I like Skip Barber, their programs are also discounted for VCA members.
A good driver will be faster than a novice with an extra 100hp in the same car.

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sorry maybe I should have clarified my question a little better. I need to beat the vettes on the street not on the track. I like to road race and dont want to put modds on the car that are not suitable for road racing :) I know on the track it's all about the driver ;) So my question is which is more suitble for road racing? Heads/cam or Sean Roe supercharger. Thanx.

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
If you want to road race your Viper, the answer is probably neither. Consider keeping your engine completely stock, the same as required in the VRL. A good set of headers and K&N filters is all you need. You can expect better engine reliability and a good chance of continued warranty coverage in case the motor blows.

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The power-adders you mention like to cook underhood components in a road racing environment. So, unless you plan some significant improvements in underhood air extraction, I suggest you take Frank's advice and keep it close to stock.

Yours is the perfect application for Nitrous. Lot's of extra HP for the Drag Racing / Street Racing / Dyno runs. No smoldering underhood components on the road course.

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmm food for thought lol. I was thinking an upgraded radiotor, 180 thermostat, and powersteering cooler for a start would be a good idea and should keep me cool enough no?? I dont want to lose to my Vette friends on the street so headers and filters alone wont do it :( these guys are running the 1/4 at traps of 125-128mph. I also refuse to deal with Nitrous again, I had it before and it's a pia. thanx guys.

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

My car a Watkins Glen ran at less then 190 all day with Seans S/C, as for the drag reacing you are looking at mid 10's at 133 mph if not more! Go for the S/C MIKE!!!!

EuG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, NA is always better for road racing IMO.
I don't know if you will or won't have a problem with a blower :rolleyes: , but if you can get same or even similar #s NA (heads/cam?)- I'd go NA.

IMO the only reason to go with FI is to get the power that's not obtainable NA :eek: .

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike your sig says upstate NY are you still there or did you move? I was looking forward to seeing you at Watkins Glenn this may :)

Eug; That's the thing with heads/cam I'm looking at ~530rwhp with a very mild cam that wont sacrifice my driveability. With Roe SC I'm looking at ~600 with headers/ rockers ect.. :eek: But I also love the sound of nice cammed car without cats :D

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike your sig says upstate NY are you still there or did you move? I was looking forward to seeing you at Watkins Glenn this may

Yes I did move to Florida I guess I hae to change my sig., congrats on buying the Viper, you now have the power my son!

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are on a budget and have to win - supercharge is the way to go. I can't be botheed with NOS either. I know its awesome when done right but its just too temporary and bothersome. Having the best available cooling setup will help as will adding Oil Extreme to the motor.. it reduces friction and drops the temp several degrees.... we've had great results out of it even at 3000hp - it also massively improves the oil life - but I'd still change it same as before because I'm anal about that.

My first choice for road racing would be to build a nice streetable 800hp engine without any forced induction... but that would require some high tech (incl. MOTEC) and a therefore a lot of money. The normal mods to get that power would not normally be very streetable if n/a. Therefore the Roe S/C is gonna do the job cheaper.

I'm not personally a fan of bolt ons - but the Viper motor seems to take them ok. I much prefer blue-printing an engine before doing anything, but that costs - if there's not over 100 hours labour in an engine (incl. heads) its not done good enough for me. But being a perfectionist is a pain in the pocket...

Go Roe and learn a new meaning of the word "feather foot" out of the turns... grin....

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lmao too funny. The more I think about this the more you are right torquemonster. I dont think I would be satisfied with heads/cam putting out ~530 :p I wish I had the big bucks to really get into the engine, but since I dont It looks like I'm going the supercharger way :) This is going to be a fun summer :)