For the first time in 12 years.....

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to start the car yesterday and no dice. Starter just clicking away. Noticed battery voltage at about 9 volts. I suspect that either the optima has gone bad or more likely culprit is the battery tender.

I put another charger on the battery and let it run for about an hour and viola it fired up. I plan on checking to see if it restarts today before ordering a new battery. Went for a 20 minute ride (first one this year). What a blast! Even after all these years, the car still puts a smile one my face when driving it.

The battery is 11 years old and has served me well. Never had an indication that battery was beginning to degrade. I have always used a battery tender. I seem to remember readings that the gel batteries tend to just fail with no warning signs. Can anyone confirm that?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Change the battery now...or...get a bad surprise in the near future. These cars are very hard to jump start from the underhood location if an old battery develops a short.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many are saying Optima batteries are junk now since they were bought out. All kinds of complaints. Do some research before you buy another...

OP
OP
ViperJohn

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sybil TF:3269426 said:
Many are saying Optima batteries are junk now since they were bought out. All kinds of complaints. Do some research before you buy another...

Thanks for the heads up. I will research before buying.

DaJerseyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL...I went back and re-read the original post, and now I got it. I actually thought you left your car parked for 12 years and expected it to start..hahaha..

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is about as accurate as the myth that Vipers don't handle. Just because people perpetuate it on the net doesn't make it so.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As an FYI the same company has owned Optima since 2000. Your junk battery held up pretty good in my book.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As an FYI the same company has owned Optima since 2000. Your junk battery held up pretty good in my book.

I agree that I have had quite a few good Optima batteries, and never a bad one. However, they were all purchase before the supposed closing of the US plant. I can't find conclusive evidence that they only produce batteries in Mexico now; but can find their plant address in Mexico. This makes the posts made by an Optima employee credible; however, he did post that he was laid off due to the plant closure; so, who knows. I do prefer to buy US made products where practical.

I suspect that whatever was happening with Optima batteries that caused folks to post on the Viper forums and other car forums that they had bad experiences is probably fixed now.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that I have had quite a few good Optima batteries, and never a bad one. However, they were all purchase before the supposed closing of the US plant. I can't find conclusive evidence that they only produce batteries in Mexico now; but can find their plant address in Mexico. This makes the posts made by an Optima employee credible; however, he did post that he was laid off due to the plant closure; so, who knows. I do prefer to buy US made products where practical.

I suspect that whatever was happening with Optima batteries that caused folks to post on the Viper forums and other car forums that they had bad experiences is probably fixed now.

I agree with you 100% on US made products. I think part of the problem in the past was that Optima only had the one style Red top. It was a gamble on fitment in the Viper, due to frame clearance issues. Guys were cutting down the top post terminals for fitment. When they had problems, of course it was Optima's fault. If you deep cycle the red top multiple times a standard auto charge won't bring it back to life. This is why Optima now markets their own AGM charger.

OP
OP
ViperJohn

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I let the car sit without a tender on it for two days, and it re-started, however, it was labored enough that I am ordering a new battery. I was one of the fortunate ones who could fit the old red top without having the cut the posts. I do see that Optima now offers a side post only model. I'll probably go with that. Other batteries struggled to handle the vibration and g-force from the track. Appreciate the updated information on Optima.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is about as accurate as the myth that Vipers don't handle. Just because people perpetuate it on the net doesn't make it so.
Tell that to my man-slave who got a bad one off the shelf. If it happens to me the myth becomes reality...of course there is always a chance it was installed wrong or a fairy cast a spell on mine cause I own a viper doh!!! lol

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The optima in my 2001 died after 12 years as well. I think we found their maximum life, but that's still at least twice as long as any other battery I've owned.

Kma4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had nothing but great service out of Odyssey batteries. The GTS-R we raced in '99 had one in it when we got it and that battery sat on a shelf for years and still started a car with no charge needed. They have a very slow self discharge rate and put out lots of current. I purchase them now when anything I have needs a battery. They aren't cheap but it seems the rest of the battery market is catching up in that department. Summit has them and the no extra charge shipping is not a bad deal.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell that to my man-slave who got a bad one off the shelf. If it happens to me the myth becomes reality...of course there is always a chance it was installed wrong or a fairy cast a spell on mine cause I own a viper doh!!! lol

Ok, your one of the few real examples. My question to you, if you recall......how old was that battery? All Optima batteries have a build date on them. Because of their cost, these batteries tend to go unsold for long periods of time. You can buy direct from Optima, which ensures freshness. Check it out on their website.
My personal experience has always been with fresh batteries. I realize their are now alternatives to the Optima AGM, however in the past they were the go to AGM. Even with a potential for problem based on your experience, I preferred the security of knowing that my battery tray was not being destroyed by a standard lead acid battery. If you have ultra sticky rubber on the car and your constantly experiencing high g loads, your tray will have acid all over it.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, your one of the few real examples. My question to you, if you recall......how old was that battery? All Optima batteries have a build date on them. Because of their cost, these batteries tend to go unsold for long periods of time. You can buy direct from Optima, which ensures freshness. Check it out on their website.
My personal experience has always been with fresh batteries. I realize their are now alternatives to the Optima AGM, however in the past they were the go to AGM. Even with a potential for problem based on your experience, I preferred the security of knowing that my battery tray was not being destroyed by a standard lead acid battery. If you have ultra sticky rubber on the car and your constantly experiencing high g loads, your tray will have acid all over it.

Don't know when it was manufactured, just bought it new from the store. Another guy down the road had a fail after a year or so in his ZO6. Both were the red tops. Are the yellow tops better?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ultimately the yellow is really a deep cycle battery and the red is not. I've never bought the yellow so I can't really comment on their quality. I do know that the red tops are not going to last if you deep cycle them a few times. Most red tops can be brought back after a deep cycle but your standard pep boys charger won't be able to get the job done.