For those with different gears

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I am going to break down and put in a new set of gears.

For those that have done it (3.55 and 3.73) want your opinions....

Does the 3.73s make a good launch almost a thing of the past? Sure, making some smoke on occasion is nice, but I rather feel them hook and send me forward faster. This is the only thing that concerns me about the 3.73s and keeping the 3.55s in play.

Anyone do the swap yourself? Never tore into a differential before, well other than to change the lube. Anyone know of a how to posted anywhere?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having read a bazillion posts in the past about this, and the opinions they contain, I've heard it said more than once that 3.33 is the perfect ratio. I'm going to do 3.54's, but with my 20's on the rear that conveniently computes to 3.33 when done.

You might expand your list to consider that ratio.

OP
OP

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I never measured my old and current wheel/tire combo I do have 02 wheels and tires on it, but the tires have a smaller sidewall. Just always assumed they were the same over all diameter.

The thing that triggered this whole thing is the fact my truck is as quick as my car now :)

Last edited:

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say go with 3.33s if you are boostin, but 3.55s for n/a

3.73s are just too low and kill any traction on the street

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Agree. The first thing I did 5 yrs ago was put in the 3.55. Love it n/a. I'm running 6.5 lb Roe now, and although my V700's hook up great, I'm looking for time to switch back or maybe 3.33's as mentioned above. :dunno:

You'll need to get speedo recalibation device too (if not already mentioned)

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree. The first thing I did 5 yrs ago was put in the 3.55. Love it n/a. I'm running 6.5 lb Roe now, and although my V700's hook up great, I'm looking for time to switch back or maybe 3.33's as mentioned above. :dunno:

You'll need to get speedo recalibation device too (if not already mentioned)

Lemme know if you do the switch, I've been thanking (past tense of thinking) of doing 3.55s and may buy your old set

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running 3.73's with stock 17" wheels and Kumho XS tires. I get pretty good traction when I romp on it. It also makes 6th gear usable for every day driving so my fuel economy doesn't suffer too much.

If you do the swap yourself, make sure you take the time to set the clearances properly or you'll be doing it again within a few short miles. Here's some (very) basic instructions:

Differential Repair & Installation Instructions

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having read a bazillion posts in the past about this, and the opinions they contain, I've heard it said more than once that 3.33 is the perfect ratio. I'm going to do 3.54's, but with my 20's on the rear that conveniently computes to 3.33 when done.

You might expand your list to consider that ratio.

as we've probably read the same threads, how/why did you decide on the 3.54's and not the 3.55's :eater:

i am leaning 3.55's

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

seems to be the common wisdom re the diff ratios & 18 in wheels (diff = different or differential :dunno: :D)

any vendors reading this thread thinking group buy???

Brentt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3.73's and stock wheels, no problems. I often take off in 2nd which eliminates the skip shift problem.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as we've probably read the same threads, how/why did you decide on the 3.54's and not the 3.55's :eater:

i am leaning 3.55's

3.54 and 3.55 are the same gear. It just depends on the "rounding" one uses. The proper gear ratio is something like 3.54365842367812568. One of the smart guys explained this in the past. I'm just a dummy repeating it :D

And yes, a group buy could be quite inticing

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had 3:73's and shifting is fast with these. 1st and 2nd don't hook unless your planning on putting on a sticky tire. I like Hoosier R6 or A6, the A6 comes up to temp faster. These tires are great since you don't sacrifice handling and still get drag performance. The 3:73's are great especially for racing from a 60 mph roll and anyone who has these will tell you that 4th gear is warp speed. Things in the rearview become faint dots almost immediately. I now have 3:54's which isn't that much of a difference and for the street 1st & 2nd are more liveable. I still stay the perfect all around gear for everything is the 3:54 especially if you decide to add more power to your car. If your more of an off the line drag style drivr go with 3:73 and good rubber.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I loved my 3.55 compared to the 3.07's. It makes 6th gear more usable, normal red light starts are better. Just all around makes it easier to drive.
I actually started with 3.55's and went the other way only to be able to stay in 4th gear in the 1/4 mile. I wish I could go back.
I do have a 4.11 that I may try with the automatic/powerglide because first gear in it is about the same as 2nd in our six speeds.

OP
OP

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does this mean you just changed the truck's rear gears?

if so, pls describe the sotp diff

No, I took my SRT Ram Roeing. Which is why I left the 4.10s in it :)

Just looking to get the car off the line better, gears is the cheapest way to go. Especially since I do not want to get serious with it.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would suggest 3.55's also (that is what I have in my GTS), but check your tire height compared to stock first before making a decision. Due to my taller tire in back, mine works out to about 3.33 like Dave's would be. Can still use 6th all the time and still have some top end speed, with much better off the line acceleration.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go 3.55. 3.73 will be too low with your stock tires. Even with my 20s with my old Pirelli rubber it was borderline. Now that I have a taller PS2 I am OK (effective ratio 3.45 and I LOVE it!), but I think you will be too low. Launching is no problem when rolling, and can get a littl ebit of spin when stopped.

Yes, will need a Unitrax speedo recaibration unit.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For street driving on non-sticky tires I think the secret to launching a car with short gears is to launch off idle - in other words sit there at idle then when the light goes green floor it and let the clutch out. This allows you to eliminate immediate wheel spin, then the shorter gears allow you to better modulate wheel spin when the engine "goes on the pipe" above 3,000 rpm. Not sure why pedalling the car is easier with shorter gears but it really is. I've never driven a boosted Viper, but for NA I say 3.55 for Gen II height rear tires and 3.73 with Gen III height rear tires are the gears these cars should have come with from the factory (along with .80 and .64 5th and 6th gear ratios respectively). The shorter gears also make crawling through a parking garage at zero mph SO much more comfortable.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For street driving on non-sticky tires I think the secret to launching a car with short gears is to launch off idle - in other words sit there at idle then when the light goes green floor it and let the clutch out. This allows you to eliminate immediate wheel spin, then the shorter gears allow you to better modulate wheel spin when the engine "goes on the pipe" above 3,000 rpm. Not sure why pedalling the car is easier with shorter gears but it really is. I've never driven a boosted Viper, but for NA I say 3.55 for Gen II height rear tires and 3.73 with Gen III height rear tires are the gears these cars should have come with from the factory (along with .80 and .64 5th and 6th gear ratios respectively). The shorter gears also make crawling through a parking garage at zero mph SO much more comfortable.

Well said! I usually just mash it off the line and feather the clutch a little. I have yet to send the rears up in a plume of smoke and I almost always have decent traction. When driving through a parking lot or garage, I just leave it in first gear and crawl along.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3.54 and 3.55 are the same gear. It just depends on the "rounding" one uses. The proper gear ratio is something like 3.54365842367812568. One of the smart guys explained this in the past. I'm just a dummy repeating it :D

And yes, a group buy could be quite inticing

so depends if you are a rounder or a truncator

though i think i remember something about manufacturer, cryo treating tooth angle, thickness or something related to to 3.54 v 3.55 or could be my adult onset adhd acting up again

Last edited:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A physicist would tell you that once rolling, the rear gear won't make any difference since the thrust (forward force of tire on road) is the same.

This was originally posted on a west coast chapter website - sorry don't have the author's info.

Last edited:

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3.55's here. Best mod I ever made so far. I will recomend you should get the cryo high polished ring and pinion set. It will give you better durability and less noise than the regular steel one.

If you are planing on doing it yourself for the first time I suggest you get someone that has done one before to help you or get a professional to do it for you. There are so many things you need to be aware off inorder for it to come out right. It is not just a slap it in and go with this mod.

You will also need at least a 750 to 1000 psi impact wrench or you will never be able to properly tighten the crush sleeve nut. :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang