For you guys with Vinyl stripes?

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where can I purchase a vinyl stripe kit for a gen two gts? Or should I visit a local vinyl shop and have them cut material to fit?

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a local guy do my stripes and I am gald I didn't try to do it myself. The flat areas on the top, trunk and hood were easy. Doing the stripes on the fascia took more time than the rest of the car. They had to be trimmed very carefully to make them look perfectly straight. He made the stripes a bit wider than the others and trimmed it by eye to get it to look right.

Darksides

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just bought a kit from theviperstore. Its a bit more expensive than buying 8" straight rolls elsewhere, but its a complete kit with no cutting required.

Chinook47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I preferred to buy the roll of vinyl, it gave me enough length to do 3 or 4 cars worth and was cheaper then buying a pre-cut kit. Trust me on this, if this a DIY job you will need several practice pieces until you get the front end "perfect" and even then it wont be perfect but pretty close. The complex curves on the front bumper are very difficult to get right and you are bound to overheat/wrinkle the vinyl when trying to get it fitted to the curves. I had the roof, and hood done, and gave up on doing the front bumper after several failed attempts, and took it to a vinyl shop to finish the car. Luckily for me i had plenty of spare vinyl to work with and give to the shop to finish the job.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed vinyl stripes myself 4 year ago. I used Avery 3mil. I purchased a roll of it, still have it and much cheaper than buying some of the "kits" out there. It is not an easy installation working with vinyl. You'll need to contour the vinyl to fit the curves of the viper, namely the rear bumper and front fascia, using a heat gun. The most difficult area is the naca duct. Some prefer to stripe around it and not through it. The 3mil thickness makes for a less noticeable edge on the stripes compared to the thicker vinyls. Easier to work with.

The downside with vinyl is that it will easily scratch and swirl. I find myself replacing the vinyl stripes on the front fascia every year due to rock chips. If your Viper is a garage queen then no issue there.

I like the fact that I can remove the vinyl stripes if I don't want them. I think it's a great temporary solution, some maintenance is needed but done properly they look great.

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just bought a kit from theviperstore. Its a bit more expensive than buying 8" straight rolls elsewhere, but its a complete kit with no cutting required.

I've seen this kit and was thinking of it as well. Let us know on the fit and finish.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. Sounds like I will take the car to a local vinyl shop to get this done!

01rt10outlaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a red Rt, and got a black stripe kit off Viperstore, installed kit myself, looks good, was unsure what color I wanted at first, glad I went with black, will be pulling stripes off next year to get it painted on

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My detailer also does vinyl... he blacked out my Jeep this weekend and put on my carbon fiber stripes. Got it to match my wheels...

You must be registered for see images attach

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very nice Next Phase. Nice complement to the wheels.

I have a question about installing stripes. When shops lay them out on the car, are the stripes pre cut or cut on the car. Im only asking because a vinyl shop near me does it on the car and i was just wondering if when cutting the vinyl does it cut into the paint?

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guy uses a green tape that he lays down on the car and then lays the vinyl on top....all he does is peel off the green tape (has some type of Kevlar in it) so he never puts a knife to the car.... I have pics of the progress on FB, but it's a pain to transfer the pics. I would be very cautious who you use if they are going to be using a knife to cut while its on your car...

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well that sounds more like it. Tape under it sounds like a good idea. Maybe they do something simular. And there would be NO way i'd let someone put a razor to my paint.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang