Ford GT Vs. Dodge Viper - Motor Trend

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone see the comparison in the January Motor Trend?

Some quick info, Ford GT - Viper

0-60 ....3.6 - 3.9
1/4 mile.....11.78 - 11.77, with 124.31 - 123.63
60-0 ....111 ft. - 97 ft.
600 ft. slalom......71.5 - 70.4
weight ....3400 (est) - 3410

The only problem I had with this comparison, is that the Ford GT was a prototype, and not a final production car.

PS..perhaps this should have been posted on the SRT forum, but there is little activity there.

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An 11 second Dodge that can stop and turn.

An 11 second Ford that can stop and turn.

An 11 second Chevy on the way.

Is this a great country or what?

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

tommygun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HOT ROD MAGAZINE 11-03 ISSUE
QUOTE"ABOUT 125 HOURS INTO THE 5.4'S FIRST 300-HOUR DURABILITY TEST, THE TEST ENGINE FAILED WHEN THE BELTDRIVEN CRANKSHAFT PULLEY FLEW OFF, EMBEDDED ITSELF IN THE ROOF OF THE DYNO CELL AND SETTING OFF ALARMS THAT SUMMONED THE LOCAL FIRE DEPARTMENT. :shocked:
IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY, YOU SHOULD PICK UP AN OLD COPY AND CHECK OUT THIS ARTICLE "FORD'S BADDEST V-8 YET"
I CAN SEE WHY THEY CALL IT BAD.
TOMMY.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the comparison test was a great ad for the SRT/10.
Ford GT at twice the price is only 1/100th of a second faster in the 1/4 mile.

I'll take the SRT.

2000 GTS Steel Grey
6 piston Baer claws up front, front brakes in back, Quaife differential, GKH half shafts,
alloy fly wheel, short throw shifter, polished aluminum intakes, K&N air filters,
Optima battery, Sterling silver key. Life is Good :cool:

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the numbers again Andrew.
The SRT-10 Viper was actually the quicker car in the 1/4 mile (if only by a hair).
But your point was right that it says a lot that even though the $150K+ Ford GT was a few tenths quicker to 60MPH, and to 100MPH, the Viper caught up by the 1/4 mile mark.
These two cars are VERY close in performance. Not exactly getting it's doors blown off by the Ford GT, as John Coletti predicted. :laugh:

-Dean.

tommygun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
point is, for that kind of money, I know that they have bugs to work out but, they should have been worked out before any press was allowed to get hold of a motor for testing. Chrysler, using decades old technology of timing chain and gears has got a car that can easily compete if not beat, in a bone stock state,
a vehicle that is supposed to be the ultimate in technology, which also costs a boat load more to purchase. I also presume that it will cost a boat load to maintain and repair in the near future based on what the preliminary testing has shown, I.E. the dyno test in hot rod. Take a look at the drive belt alone on this monster, it runs everything including the s/c and has two tensioners, and is about a mile long. Looks like a recipe for disastor to this tech. The "bad" comment was meant with the utmost sarcasm.

Juanmotime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tommygun

See more of those damn SC problems, belts slipping, belts breaking, pulley's flyin off. It's just crazy when Turbos are so much more fun. Now that I've convinced Paolo Turbos are the way to go, we'll see what happens next....

The SRT is hands down the better choice between these 2 cars. With the money you save you can pickup a 500 HP picup truck to drive on the bad days....

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your right about the 1/100 sec. in the quarter. It was the SRT that won. My Bad.

Ford should not of let them put their new bad boy up against the SRT/10. I think a few more people we be buying the SRT' after reading that.

Car and Driver put the GT up against the Ferrari Stradale and the Porsche GT3 this month and the Ford faired much better with them.

I have to laugh every time I read these car that are twice and 3 times as much as the Viper and they still can't beat the numbers. That's gotta hurt.

2000 GTS Steel Grey
6 piston Baer claws up front, Front brakes in back, Quaife differential, GKH half shafts,
Alloy fly wheel, Short throw shifter, Polished aluminum intakes, K&N air filters,
Optima battery, Sterling silver key.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang