Forgive my ignorance, aftermarket intake questions........

wesman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What do you do with the speed control and the other two connections that connect to the stock airbox when switching to a twin K&N intake? I have a used TNT intake and it didnt come with instructions so I'm unsure what I am supposed to do with the electrical connection and the other two hose connections.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
W

wesman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So does nobody know, or noone want's to share ??????

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I'll respond, but I don't have the answer. :cool:

All I can say is that, if you turn the ignition to "on" without that electrical connection plugged in (whether you start the engine or not), you'll get a Check Engine light that may or may not take an OBDII reader to clear (I don't know if it will clear on its own; I have a reader, so I cleared it on mine when I made that mistake).

I don't have a K&N intake, so perhaps someone else will answer. Maybe title the thread "K&N Intake question"??

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What do you do with the speed control and the other two connections that connect to the stock airbox when switching to a twin K&N intake? I have a used TNT intake and it didnt come with instructions so I'm unsure what I am supposed to do with the electrical connection and the other two hose connections.

By the way: have you checked the K&N web site http://www.knfilterchargers.com ? Going down the "search by vehicle" link gets the following manual for the intake that goes on a '98 Viper:

http://www.kandn.com/instructions/57-1508.pdf

And, the following for manual for an SRT-10:

http://www.kandn.com/instructions/57-1536.pdf

As an aside, I note they state an 11 hp increase. Interesting to me, but I got an 11hp increase on my old '95 RT/10 by just installing the normal replacement K&N filters (while still on the dyno), without the intake swap.

OP
OP
W

wesman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine doesn't have a box. I used K&N as a reference, but I just have K&N filters attached to chrome smooth tubes. Here's a couple pics of the intake and of the connections and tubes.

Intake 1

Hose 1

Hose 2

Connection 1

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
drill a hole in the side or bottom of the right(pass.side) tube and screw in the elec. fitting from the air box,use a little sealant on the threads. The hose on the same side is supposed to get the small filter that came with the kit that attaches right to the Idle air control (you remove small hose). I drilled a hole on the left tube and screwed a fitting in there to attach the "vent" tube.

OP
OP
W

wesman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sweet...thanks for the info. On the left side (drivers side) can you also attach a mini K&n type filter ? I have chrome hard tubes, not sure I want to drill a hole in it.

--wes

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suppose you could. You'd have to find a fitting to enlarge the current plastic piece so it's a little bigger to fit the small filter. :headbang:

CSTER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just picked up a BTR Max Flow Intake and installed it today. You should put a mini filter on the hose right next to the passenger side throttle body. Also, make sure you mount the electrical connection to the passenger side tube (I think it's an IAT sender). As for the hose on the driver's side tube, my tube did not have a fitting, so I just tucked it down and out of the way. No problems so far. Hope that helps.

Christian