Frustrated with my Lowered Viper

W. SKAF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok,

I know that i asked in the past to please post some pictures of SRT-10's that are lowered and most of these pictures were photoshop pictures, the reason why i need to see pictures with lowerd SRT-10 is because I lowered my SRT-10 and the damn wheel keeps hitting the inside liner when I'm on high speed and hit a small dip in the road and I'm frankly tired of it and some of you asked me how low is my car? I don't think it's low at all, if you look from the side there is about 1" 1/2 of clearence from the tire and the fender which makes a clearence from the tire and the inside liner atleast 4" i think that is enough clearence for any car specially a Viper it's not a damn Cadillac it should be solid it should not rebound that much, if anyone can please post pictures of a real SRT-10 "not photoshop pictures" Lowered and think it's low to compare with mine because i know that friend of mine had one lowered at [******] and it was slammed low and it did not hit at all at any dip i drove it my self, i just don't know what nthe hell is wrong, I'm using Penske but i don't thing Penske is the problem it's probably the springs.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the question is then what suspension what settings and what spring rates? That is all a factor.

CarmelSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have KW's and I am lowered a good 1.75 in. front and 1.25 in. rear. Do you have stock wheels and tires?

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is real.

10140SIDE.JPG

10140FRONTWHEEL.JPG

10140REARWHEEL.JPG

I just measured and I only have 2.5 inches between the rear tire and fender liner. I have 3 inches of clearance between the ground and the front jack point and 3.5 inches at the rear jack point.

It does rub the liner if I am going over 100 and hit a dip in the road.

If yours is that low it will rub...with 4 inches in that fender it doesn't sound like yours is that low...How bout some pics so we can judge?

-Kurtis

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What type of shocks? What spring rate?

Consider trimming the inner fender at all?

What size tires?

OP
OP
W

W. SKAF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm running Penske Shocks and my understanding from Valaya racing that did the work is the rear springs are 1000 pounds and front is 900 pounds but i will make sure and yes I'm running the original wheels and tires i will post pictures so you guys can see, i just think that there is too much traveling up and down in the rear when you hit a bump, i just don't understand why other cars like Honda's, BMW's and other cars that i see are much lower but do't hit and the Vioer are much stiffer. Anyhow, i will post the pictures later today so you guys can see the car

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You asked the same question a few weeks ago. And I dont think any of those pics everyone posted were photoshopped. ILLSMOQ's is dumped and it rides GOOD. It doesnt bottom out. Ive driven it at 50mph and 150mph. Solid!!! I think you should have went with the Moton's like he origally said. Everyone seems to be happy with Moton's. Thats why Im choosing them over Penske's
10140mini-CIMG0078-med.JPG

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

motons with no issues at all (other than price!)

vd..

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Had Penskes installed by Valaya, had them removed, the bottomed terribly, in a few weeks I will be sending one of my SRT coupes down to DC Performance and having the same penskes installed, I will see if it is hardware or pilot error at that point. If anyone can get them to work properly it should be the boys at DC Performance.

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Penske's are FANTASTIC shocks, WHEN tuned properly. One downside to such an advanced shock is that it's far easier to screw up.

Who setup the valving (shim stack) for what you have now?

Have you adjusted them at all?

Your spring rates are extremely stiff, If anything overly so. Work on the "high speed" compression valving. Note: it has NOTHING to do with vehicle speed, and everything to do with shaft speed in the shock. For a true race shock, you need someone who really understands how they work, the average "tuner" ****** won't have the slightest idea how to alter a shim stack, fluid volume, fluid weight, etc.

I hope the shocks came with all this info, if so please post it. If you don't wish to share it feel free to PM me, I'll do my best to help you out.

OP
OP
W

W. SKAF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I took some pictures today so i can post it on the site but somehow i can't figure out how to do so, can i please get some imput on how to post the pictures so you can see how low the car is.

OP
OP
W

W. SKAF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is the pictures! Thank you for all your help. So what do you think???? I dont think that its so low that it should hit. Im frustrated!!!

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
500/800 doesn't seem overly soft at all. I would look into adjusting the valving of the shock to stiffen them up.

Have you pulled the wheels to see where on the inner fender they are rubbing?

Will give you a ring tomorrow and see if we can't get this thing setup a little better. :2tu: Car doesn't look drastically low at all.

CarmelSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet if you raised up the rear half an inch you would be fine. Looks too low to me.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say it's pretty low. Are you sure about that 4 inches of clearance?

It looks at least as low as mine...maybe even a tad lower. My wheels have a different offset than stock so it brings them out to the edge of the fender and makes the wheel gap smaller.

What are the measurements from the frame to the ground? See how they compare with mine and remember mine does rub on high speed dips.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That may be part of your issue also, that you have Stock wheels. When you go aftermarket I bet it may rub less, as you have a little more offset nd it brings the wheel out a tad away from the inner fender liner.

YELLOH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with 19"& 20 " and mounted Motons and Elbach springs and bottomed out at first a couple of times,made a few adjustment settings and never bottomed out again after that.

OP
OP
W

W. SKAF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, I mesured from the ground to the front jack point and and it's 3" and from the rear to the jack point 3 1/2", I know I'm not crasy because my buddy's Viper is much lower. Ok, let me tell you, Just today i made it my buisness to go drive arround to see other lowered cars not Vipers but any other lowered cars and i must of saw 6 cars like Honda's, BMW's and others are so low and no problems, I saw a Honda S2000 the tires were wide enough that it stuck out about an inch under the fender and the fender had about one inch clearence and the guy said he never had a problem ever, so what I'm trying to say is a Viper should not be bouncing 3" up and down it should be solid it's not a cadillac. Look at the picture of the ViperD's white Mamba on the top here front of the garage one, it's not even as low as mine.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An SRT-10 at 3 and 3.5 inches is going to rub on dips at high speed with the typical Penskes, Motons, KW's or Aldans.

You can live with it, modify the inside of the fenders or raise the car up a little.

You said you have at least 4 inches between the tire and the fender liner and you have 3.5 inches between the ground and the rear frame. One of those numbers is wrong. Your wheel has to move up and down. You car is very low. I think your 4 inches is more like 2 inches...get a tape measure in there and see.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
W.

I screwed up on my first set of shocks / springs too. Very frustrating.

From the photos, your car is a bit too low. Simple test. If you can't get two fingers in between your front tire and your front fender, it will rub. The rears need three fingers or it will rub on high speed bumps with two people in the car. Check it out and let me know.

Not to get too personal (I go 250, my wife 135 plus trunk stuff), but how much do you and your regular passneger weigh? If you are above average weight, you will need more space.

Your spring rates are too high for comfortable street driving. Woodhouse recommends 500 front / 800 rear. Springs should be 8 inches with helpers. If they are shorter, you will rub.

Air pressure in the shocks should be left as they come from the factory. This too could be an issue if one shock has lost its nitrogen or fluid.

By your write up, your shocks are not set up correctly.

Motons may or may not be better than Penske's for the street, but they are very easy to set up.

Good luck,

Dan

OP
OP
W

W. SKAF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper X, What did you end up doing, and bu the way the damn right side rubs more often than the left so i still think there is a proble with the setup, I'm going to take it back to Valaya and find out what it is.