Fuel Pump Basket Re-Install

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a bundle of sweat right now. Just installed the Walbro into the fuel pump basket and reinstalling the assembly in the tank. Service manual indicates this should be real easy...but I can't get the assembly to seat fully in the thick rubber gasket that goes in the neck of the tank before I try and tighten the big white threaded ring. I have about 1/4 inch to go until it seats flush with the neck. I just have enough thread on the neck to get the big white spin fastener started, but it goes about 1/4 turn before it binds. I sure hope I'm not suppose to simply tighten the threaded ring in order to "seat" the assembly down/flush with the neck. Seen that technique on other thigns but the manual does not indicate that to be the case. Seems really risky to torque on the threads/neck that way. Also, what are you all using to spin and tighten that boogar (seeing as few us us probably have the special MOPAR tool).

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday evening. Finished it up this AM. Its actually taking longer to try and get it back in the tank than to put the Walbro in the basket. I'm going to go back and mess with it some more.

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. Figured it out. Just needed to lube it up real good with some light grease...just like in the bedroom to a greater or lesser extent:omg:.
For those curious, here is a pic of the Walbro installed in the basket. Also pics of the stock vs. Walbro. You can see the polarity difference between the two as well (ergo needing to swap red to black and vice-versa). Ended up making a quick spanner tool to use on the retaining ring. Everything went together quite well once I got my act together. Should of let a tuner do it I suppose.

Attachments

• Stock_Walbro.jpg
    Stock_Walbro.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Assembly.jpg
    Assembly.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Tool.jpg
    Tool.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm on the road right now and will have to check the "twin" pump when I get home. I actually picked two of them up from another member.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As you found out they have to be perfect to get the top on straight. They seem to take some force to pop into place

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960