Future proud owner is looking for a GTS

TonyG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am new here and this is my first post.
I was around 6 years old, a little kid living in what was recently called Soviet Union.
There was not much to be happy about in that ghetto.
One of a few things a child could have, was a bubble gum “TURBO”. Aside from delicious taste there was a bonus inside in a form of an inner paper wrapper, with a car picture on it and a few specs. I have never seen a gum like that in US, but every post soviet kid knows what that is.
I remember the first time I saw Viper on that wrapper #197, it was love from the first sight. Years past I drove it for the first time in the first NFS, running on Pentium1)
At the age of 19 I moved to the USA and my dream of owning one became closer but our paths have parted, classic Benz and restoration is what has been my hobby all these years.
Now I have a 6 years old son and time has come to make memories.
I know I should have bought it two years ago, but it is what it is.
Looking for a clean stock GTS that was cared for, with minimal upgrades if any. Preferably in Sapphire Blue with stripes or GTS blue. I would like to buy my Viper from an actual owner, not some wheeler-dealer. Car must not have previous paintwork or accidents. We will enjoy the car every chance we get, so paying premium for a garage queen is an overkill for me however low miles are preferred. Willing to spend 50+$. If You or You know someone that is willing to sell their car to a committed next proud owner, that will care and keep it long enough to pass it to his son, please give me a shout.
Please keep in mind, I am a father of 2 and drive a truck for a living )
Also looking for an advice of which year GTS to buy, what to watch out for, any issues etc.
Message me here or preferably text
407-480-9777
Thank you very much everybody.
Sincerely,
Tony.

Last edited:

Brandog

VCA Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Great choice in color. I have a 2001 Gts DSB/silver stripes. The only year that color was offered only 86 made. All original with original exhaust and a set of original wheels that would come with it.
Light mods Corsa catbacks, Vipair intake, five way harnesses and gen IV 18F 19R wheels.
Scratches under fascia, typically from tire stops, on all Vipers that did not sit in a garage. It has just turned 40,000 miles. Thats just 2000 per year. Bra and factory cover included.
I am the second and fourth owner. (Bought it back from third owner.)
The problem is I would not take less than $75,000.
Good luck, these are fantastic cars.

Attachments

• 20210522_111757.jpg
    20210522_111757.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210109_101338_HDR.jpg
    20210109_101338_HDR.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
T

TonyG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I read the whole article about Iowa Viper .
Price is high for me. 65$ would be pushing it.
I found this one yesterday night. Any thoughts?

I noticed that the leather/vinyl and padding on Viper cars is frankly of quite poor grade. I will want to redo the seats to give them a new look.
I also noticed that early GTS cars have some kind of gunky/shiny dashboard, almost like covered in glue of some sort.

The thoughts about spending qute a lot of money and bombarding the interior to make it new again, braking a piece or two in the process, are tough. I almost think I should go for the upper tier car.

Any known pros and cons early vs restyle?

P.S.
Here is the pic from some year 2000, from Moscow. The first time we met.
It wasn’t common for people to smile, so I did my best. )

Attachments

• 422BF88F-F7F5-4E6C-A4EE-10D8A0421A0A.jpeg
    422BF88F-F7F5-4E6C-A4EE-10D8A0421A0A.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 45

Slug

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 96 GTS is listed here:
Not an ideal time slot. It may be a buyers opportunity.

Good luck with your hunt.

OP
OP
T

TonyG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good evening!
Since my post I have been thinking long and hard about what would be the most memorable experience for my son. Viper has been a long dream of mine but my son at 6 years of age does not even know what it is and why we respect it and like it so much. However he really loves Corvette. Points them out through the window of my old Benz every time. Instead of making my dream come true I decided to go ahead and make his and placed a deposit on a new Z06. I will order it in blue, his favourite color and of coure all of that carbon fiber. The best part of it is that he will only find out about it during a spontaneous trip to Kentucky, where it will be deivered in a Corvette museum )
I was told that the current wait is 30 months. I think it is worth it and will make an unforgeable experience.
Looks like my path with Viper is parted again.
Thank you guys for reaching out.
Sincerely,
Tony.

Slug

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,
Raising your boy with a vette instead of a viper? Someone needs to contact child services or at least have a family intervention!

Great story. Enjoy the Z06! You sound like a great dad.

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To each his own. I almost bought a Vette. I kept going to the dealership to see them, for over six months! I just couldn’t pull the trigger on one. They are fun, no doubt about that, and reasonably priced. But the car back then came with single piston brakes, seeing that detail it was over for me. When I saw my Black Mamba Convertible I knew instantly it was my car, bought it the next day.

There is a reason that your boy points out Vettes all of the time, they are literally everywhere. In the last thirteen years or so I have only seen four Vipers (various models) on the road, and I’m in North Dallas, this is a car town. The exclusivity of a Vette has a very short expiration date on it, unless you opt for a classic.

Are you buying “your” car or buying a car that a six year old boy wants?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TonyG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To each his own. I almost bought a Vette. I kept going to the dealership to see them, for over six months! I just couldn’t pull the trigger on one. They are fun, no doubt about that, and reasonably priced. But the car back then came with single piston brakes, seeing that detail it was over for me. When I saw my Black Mamba Convertible I knew instantly it was my car, bought it the next day.

There is a reason that your boy points out Vettes all of the time, they are literally everywhere. In the last thirteen years or so I have only seen four Vipers (various models) on the road, and I’m in North Dallas, this is a car town. The exclusivity of a Vette has a very short expiration date on it, unless you opt for a classic.

What sold me on the Z06 aside it being an amazing effort from GM to make a top tier world performance sports car is the museum delivery and ability to build your own engine. Never had a Chevy and I could care less about it. Could have owned Corvette many times over, but the new Z06 seems to be quite a masterpiece and I think it is worth a shot. If it is not good or too much of a track car than I can sell it. But that sports car unveiling experience will be there for life. At the end Its all about the memories.

P.S.
We will be almost neighbors soon.
I am getting a place in west Ft. Worth Maybe we can meet for some new Z06 brake checking )

JohnGCooper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am new here and this is my first post.
I was around 6 years old, a little kid living in what was recently called Soviet Union.
There was not much to be happy about in that ghetto.
One of a few things a child could have, was a bubble gum “TURBO”. Aside from delicious taste there was a bonus inside in a form of an inner paper wrapper, with a car picture on it and a few specs. I have never seen a gum like that in US, but every post soviet kid knows what that is.
I remember the first time I saw Viper on that wrapper #197, it was love from the first sight. Years past I drove it for the first time in the first NFS, running on Pentium1)
At the age of 19 I moved to the USA and my dream of owning one became closer but our paths have parted, classic Benz and restoration is what has been my hobby all these years.
Now I have a 6 years old son and time has come to make memories.
I know I should have bought it two years ago, but it is what it is.
Looking for a clean stock GTS that was cared for, with minimal upgrades if any. Preferably in Sapphire Blue with stripes or GTS blue. I would like to buy my Viper from an actual owner, not some wheeler-dealer. Car must not have previous paintwork or accidents. We will enjoy the car every chance we get, so paying premium for a garage queen is an overkill for me however low miles are preferred. Willing to spend 50+$. If You or You know someone that is willing to sell their car to a committed next proud owner, that will care and keep it long enough to pass it to his son, please give me a shout.
Please keep in mind, I am a father of 2 and drive a truck for a living )
Also looking for an advice of which year GTS to buy, what to watch out for, any issues etc.
Message me here or preferably text
407-480-9777
Thank you very much everybody.
Sincerely,
Tony.

JohnGCooper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a 1996 GTS vin # 106 bought it new the car has a nascar engine in it but i have the original engine on a stand with app 17000 miles on it the speedo shows 70000 miles on it
i am the only one that ever drove it. never been in an accident asking $65000 John G Cooper 1-810-347-5429 [email protected]

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I live in Prescott AZ for 15 years and have only seen one Viper since being here and it's in my garage, that's the difference, every day I see 15 to 25 Corvettes a day and there not the same one's, but I have to say I like Vetts to I have a 96 grand sport LT4 and 2013 Shelby GT 500 and a Challenger RT so I have to say I love all cars but the Viper is my favorite and gets the most attention buy far at the car show, and yes it's a garage queen 99 GTS with 2k miles, actually all my cars are garage queens, accept my daily driver that has 160k.

Brilly

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Good evening!
Since my post I have been thinking long and hard about what would be the most memorable experience for my son. Viper has been a long dream of mine but my son at 6 years of age does not even know what it is and why we respect it and like it so much. However he really loves Corvette. Points them out through the window of my old Benz every time. Instead of making my dream come true I decided to go ahead and make his and placed a deposit on a new Z06. I will order it in blue, his favourite color and of coure all of that carbon fiber. The best part of it is that he will only find out about it during a spontaneous trip to Kentucky, where it will be deivered in a Corvette museum )
I was told that the current wait is 30 months. I think it is worth it and will make an unforgeable experience.
Looks like my path with Viper is parted again.
Thank you guys for reaching out.
Sincerely,
Tony.
The new Z06s are amazing machines for sure. I was thinking you would have a hard time finding the Viper you wanted in the price range, color, low miles and low mods you were looking for but hearing you bought a new z06! Next time your in the Viper market increase your price range and you’ll definitely find your dream viper.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper