Garage project done (almost) - Pics inside.

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:):)
I've got just a few more tiles to lay, and hang a couple of pictures, and I've finally got my garage the way I want it. After a lot searching, and researching, I decided to go with a rubber tile called BigFoot. It interconnects like the polypropolene tile, but it's more flexible, and no noise when you walk on it. I'm happy with the way it came out. Here are a couple of pictures:

Before:
img153.jpg

Another before:
img154.jpg

During:
img156.jpg

And finally, after:
IMG_1002.JPG

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can you take the tile up and re-install? because your lines are off. the diagonal lines are not lined up to match properly. sorry to be picky but I'm a floor man.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice, looks great! I just bought a new place with a nice garage and may get the same type of tile...looks pretty easy to install.

OP
OP
Gus Strakes

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can you take the tile up and re-install? because your lines are off. the diagonal lines are not lined up to match properly. sorry to be picky but I'm a floor man.

I guess it's the camera angle, because when looking at it, the lines do match up, at least close enough for a garage project. And yes you can pull them up, so if I have to replace or adjust one or more, it's easy to do.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus it looks great, congratulations! How's that Direct Lift working out for you?

OP
OP
Gus Strakes

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus it looks great, congratulations! How's that Direct Lift working out for you?

I'm real happy with my Direct Lift. I bought it from Greg Smith Equipment (same place where I bought the BigFoot Tile) about 3 1/2 years ago, and have had no problems with it. I had professionals install it, and I do remember them saying that they felt it was a quality lift. The customer service at Greg Smith's is excellent. Even though the reps at Greg Smith's said there was no need to bolt it down, I found it to be not as sturdy as I wanted when a car was on it, and under it, so I bolted it down, and I recommend it. It's fairly easy to "un-bolt" and "re-bolt" if you ever wanted to utilize the casters.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not the camara...if you look down a row of black tiles it should be black till the red tile and then continue black on the opposite corner of the red tile. then each bay in the garage looks balanced. unless you wanted that look.

Last edited:

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
how flexable are these tiles. Thats one thing i noticed when i was looking at race deck is they are hard plastic and i believe when you walk on them they would make a chatter noise.

OP
OP
Gus Strakes

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how flexable are these tiles. Thats one thing i noticed when i was looking at race deck is they are hard plastic and i believe when you walk on them they would make a chatter noise.

They are flexible, and will bend, but seem very strong. I used a commercial grade razor knife to make my tile cuts to go around the lift, garage rails, steps, and where my walls bump out to accomodate a fireplace. Walking on them is like walking on a thin gym mat, no clicking, or chatter. The only thing I don't know yet, is how they will hold up over a long term, but I guess time will tell.

OP
OP
Gus Strakes

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not the camara...if you look down a row of black tiles it should be black till the red tile and then continue black on the opposite corner of the red tile. then each bay in the garage looks balanced. unless you wanted that look.

Now I see what you are saying, and you are right, but when I sketched it out, I wanted each bay (separated by the red tile) to start with a different black/white sequence, so I guess you can say I wanted that look.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus, well done..looks more like a museum:) That VOI9 looks SWEET in the backgroud, BTW. nice job.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are flexible, and will bend, but seem very strong. I used a commercial grade razor knife to make my tile cuts to go around the lift, garage rails, steps, and where my walls bump out to accomodate a fireplace. Walking on them is like walking on a thin gym mat, no clicking, or chatter. The only thing I don't know yet, is how they will hold up over a long term, but I guess time will tell.

If use jack stands or a jack on it does it crush or indent the mats? and does it come out. I think the concrete epoxy and vct tiles will hold up much better if you "Work" on like some gear heads.

KURT E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think it looks nice. Gus, I suspect that most jacking projects could be completed on his lift (we use bottle jack or equivalent designed to work with our lift). They would probably dent these tiles, but, with a little planning I am sure he has it under control.

Kurt E

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I see what you are saying, and you are right, but when I sketched it out, I wanted each bay (separated by the red tile) to start with a different black/white sequence, so I guess you can say I wanted that look.

Doing that will give each bay its own look for sure If that's what you are going for then that's what you do. In commercial work we always keep them in line unless the client is looking to separate a section of a large store, then we will border the area with a solid or use a different color, or complete different type of floor product.
In our trade if a setter(the installer ) sets a tile wrong its called a "Beer" tile which means, for every tile that has to be pulled up and replaced to make the job right.he owes each man on the crew a beer for each tile replaced. that why you don't screw up. :omg:

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious as to why you would cut tiles around the lift and not simply unbolt, put the castor on, move the lift slightly out of the way, drill four holes in the tile and set in place, reinstall the lift on top of the tile and rebolt. Also, your lift pump is in a curious location in the back far corner. You could actually put the pump on the inside diagonal corner for better access. I did with mine at least. As Glenn Beck would say.."I'm just saying..." Looks great regardless. I need to do some tiles.

OP
OP
Gus Strakes

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious as to why you would cut tiles around the lift and not simply unbolt, put the castor on, move the lift slightly out of the way, drill four holes in the tile and set in place, reinstall the lift on top of the tile and rebolt. Also, your lift pump is in a curious location in the back far corner. You could actually put the pump on the inside diagonal corner for better access. I did with mine at least. As Glenn Beck would say.."I'm just saying..." Looks great regardless. I need to do some tiles.

I talked with the guys at Greg Smith's about whether to raise the lift and put tiles underneath, or cut the tiles to the lift, they recommended cutting to the lift. Since I'm inexperienced with the process, I just took their advice. As far as position of the pump, I put it there because I have a 30 amp outlet on the wall just to the right of the cabinets, and it was easier for me to run a cord along the wall, and behind the cabinets to the outlet. On the other posts the outlet was not accessible, or I would always be tripping over the power cord.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62