Gas Guzzler Tax ------- I wanna refund!!!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Due to a little electrical gremlin, my good buddy Mark Jorgensen thought it wise for us to trailer home his black beauty and out came the Venom Red ACR ******** from it's four tired enclosure. The drive back to the cornfields of Kneebrasky yielded a couple of interesting observations , and they are;

1. Driving a track thoroughbred back a distance of over a thousand miles, when it is devoid of a radio or sound deadening ,is akin to sitting in the back seat of an ancient jet , next to the lavatory , with two old jet engines blasting away at the sky , your ears acting as cymbals ( occassionally I swore I heard the toilet lid drop ).
2. When driving behind a trailer you actually can find yourself driving the speed limit .......................and with no radio you pretend you are drafting behind Jimmie Johnson at Talledega.( okay are you saying I may have way too vivid imagination ?)3. Hmmmm........................seemed to never need fuel, as one section of the trip I got 26.9, another 26.6 , and when we had to fight a 30-40mph side wind it dropped to 22.1. Hence.................

I want a refund on my gas guzzler tax, as this big honkin V10 is supposed to only get 22 mpg on the highway , and since I am close to 5 mpg off, I figure the tax was a bogus way to grab money from the unsuspecting?

600+ hp, Pilot Sport Cup DOT race tires, 26.9 mpg ----- go figure.

Guess taking out that radio and sound deadening did lighten it up alot, but wow look at the fuel advantages -- who woulda thought!!:2tu:

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get the same mpg (25-27mpg) when driving to California in the 08 coupe and its 100% stock with no aero package. I had to laugh the last time I cruised there with some vette and camaro friends that kept having to fill up and I sat there waiting for them as I didn't need any gas.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all depends on how it's driven. I'm not sure how the MPG tests are done, but it's easy to squeeze more MPGs out when driving on the interstate. I've gotten right at 22mpg in my '97 GTS before, and also a hybrid like 33mpg out of my old '02 Z06 during a trip down to FL.

OP
OP
Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry, not going to Supercharge an 08.....................nuff can be done by Mark and his magic elves to this normally aspirated VVT V10 to get silly power.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A "taxing" (pardon the punn) ride I'm sure.
But I'm also sure you fellas had ear to ear grins at the end!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen IV with 600 hp engine pulls much better in 6th gear than previous Vipers. Much easier and more pleasant to cruise in 6th for longer periods, even on uphill sections.

Car still has some torque at 1500 RPM. Runs free and easy with the VVT engine.

Kick it down into 3rd, however at 80, and it runs like a scalded cat.

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Due to a little electrical gremlin, my good buddy Mark Jorgensen thought it wise for us to trailer home his black beauty and out came the Venom Red ACR ******** from it's four tired enclosure. The drive back to the cornfields of Kneebrasky yielded a couple of interesting observations , and they are;

1. Driving a track thoroughbred back a distance of over a thousand miles, when it is devoid of a radio or sound deadening ,is akin to sitting in the back seat of an ancient jet , next to the lavatory , with two old jet engines blasting away at the sky , your ears acting as cymbals ( occassionally I swore I heard the toilet lid drop ).
2. When driving behind a trailer you actually can find yourself driving the speed limit .......................and with no radio you pretend you are drafting behind Jimmie Johnson at Talledega.( okay are you saying I may have way too vivid imagination ?)3. Hmmmm........................seemed to never need fuel, as one section of the trip I got 26.9, another 26.6 , and when we had to fight a 30-40mph side wind it dropped to 22.1. Hence.................

I want a refund on my gas guzzler tax, as this big honkin V10 is supposed to only get 22 mpg on the highway , and since I am close to 5 mpg off, I figure the tax was a bogus way to grab money from the unsuspecting?

600+ hp, Pilot Sport Cup DOT race tires, 26.9 mpg ----- go figure.

Guess taking out that radio and sound deadening did lighten it up alot, but wow look at the fuel advantages -- who woulda thought!!:2tu:

Nice post Bill! It's my guess you were getting such good gas mileage b/c you were drafting those big rigs, or maybe you did come up on JJ and didn't know it was him!!:D

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averaged just a tad over 20 mpg in my car Bill, but have a few mods and 3.55 gears. Then again those triple digit speeds on those long straight aways might have hurt the mileage too? :) We striped the interior two weeks before VOI11 and sound deadened the entire car with Dynamat. Also upgraded the stereo a bit behind all the factory panels. The drive was very enjoyable and we did not have to "create" our own excitement as you did. My hat off to you for driving it that far and it did look good! Not sure what additional sound deadener Dodge takes out for the ******** as there was no sound deadner in our car to start with. Unless they consider that thin carpet covering the composite panels as deadener. That's funny if they do!

BTW Heather and I enjoyed sharing a table with you at breakfast the one morning.