Gas Pedal Kits?

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year I was having discussions with a vendor about a gas pedal kit they were planning, I can't remember who it was, maybe SVS:dunno: I never heard back from my contact....

Anyone know of, or heard of a kit for our GenII's.. ? I never liked the gas pedal, its always felt too soft, without enough feedback. Anyone else feel the same way?

Maybe I just drove Crown Vics for too long...:alert:

anaconda666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to start a thread on how poor the pedals are on a Viper, and what can be done to correct it. Gas pedal moves way too much, and the difference in height from flooring the clutch pedal to the gas pedal means you have to drive the car with your accelerator leg bent too much. What can be done to correct this? I know about the kit (metal bar) to lower the cluth pedal one inch. This will not corrrect the problem above though. Ron.

anaconda666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The search option works great! Found the thread from 2 years ago about adjusting the pedals individually. Will try this this weekend. Ron.

mele

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can you post a link to that thread here?

MEL

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea, the movement of the gas pedal is anoying. everytime i go over a bumpy surface with my foot off the gas i hear it jiggling and say to my self: stupid pedal...

i think that most would agree that a pedal should be firm and only move on One axis: up and down.

mele, i believe that write-up is in the illustrated upgrades section

OP
OP
B

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Anaconda, I haven't tried that... It looks pretty cool, I have always wanted to move them independently!

However, the gas pedal still remains crappy!:smirk: It's not the position, its the (lack of) any real feel at light throttle settings.. I may just have to come up with my own fix;)

Anyone else?

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this isn't exactly an answer to your question, but is more a followup on the adjustment to the pedal height reply. I have moved my gas pedal height slightly by adjusting the bracket on the intake manifold that the other end of the cable attaches to under the hood. There is a single bolt and an slot in the bracket which allows the bracket to slide about an inch or so. Moving the bracket alters the height of the gas pedal independently of the other pedals. I am not sure if this has any other effects, but it seemed to work for me and was a lot easier than the previously mentioned method.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
However, the gas pedal still remains crappy!:smirk: It's not the position, its the (lack of) any real feel at light throttle settings.. I may just have to come up with my own fix;)

Anyone else?

i couldnt agree with this more. im fine with the position, but rather the movement of the pedal is annoying at low speeds(light throttle). this combined with the natural drivetrain slop makes for 'bucking' that takes a very sensitive trained foot to correct. Now that im used to it its not realy a problem, but im concerned that if i ever let anyone else drive the viper that they'll have the car bucking back and fourth ..with me cringing :-(

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year I was having discussions with a vendor about a gas pedal kit they were planning, I can't remember who it was, maybe SVS:dunno: I never heard back from my contact....

Anyone know of, or heard of a kit for our GenII's.. ? I never liked the gas pedal, its always felt too soft, without enough feedback. Anyone else feel the same way?

Maybe I just drove Crown Vics for too long...:alert:

In 96-97 when I started road racing the Viper I struggled with the pivoting gas pedal when down shifting or coming out of the corners. It was difficult to get a “positive feel”. I removed the gas pedal and mocked up a solid mount on the gas pedal arm. Our machine shop milled a piece to match the desired angle and it worked very well. We installed these on many customers Vipers. On the Vipers with adjustable pedals we separated the cables that go to the brake and gas pedal and installed knobs that allowed independent adjustment of each pedal height. This allowed raising the brake pedal to the desired height so that when you threshold braked into a corner the brake pedal would be at the perfect height to easily blip the solid mounted gas pedal for downshifting.

Here’s what the solid mount looks like and it could be used to re-engineer and make more :

http://www.svspower.com/images/upload/catalog_951_0.jpg

Here are the adjustment knobs for separating the cables and having independent control of the brake, gas pedal height :

http://www.svspower.com/images/upload/catalog_967_0.jpg

jR

OP
OP
B

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 96-97 when I started road racing the Viper I struggled with the pivoting gas pedal when down shifting or coming out of the corners. It was difficult to get a “positive feel”. I removed the gas pedal and mocked up a solid mount on the gas pedal arm. Our machine shop milled a piece to match the desired angle and it worked very well. We installed these on many customers Vipers. On the Vipers with adjustable pedals we separated the cables that go to the brake and gas pedal and installed knobs that allowed independent adjustment of each pedal height. This allowed raising the brake pedal to the desired height so that when you threshold braked into a corner the brake pedal would be at the perfect height to easily blip the solid mounted gas pedal for downshifting.

Here’s what the solid mount looks like and it could be used to re-engineer and make more :

http://www.svspower.com/images/upload/catalog_951_0.jpg

Here are the adjustment knobs for separating the cables and having independent control of the brake, gas pedal height :

http://www.svspower.com/images/upload/catalog_967_0.jpg

jR

I would be very interested in this piece, if you can still make it? I know others would be too. I think that's the problem, it's the pivoting of the gas pedal that just doesn't feel right.
I think because of the pivot, I can't really feel any feedback at light throttle, unless my shoe is off!
Let us know SVS! Maybe we can put together a group buy...

OP
OP
B

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found the pedal assembly on the SVS website! It's $100.00 if anyone is interested...:)
Here's the link:

SVS

Anyone know anybody who has this???

OP
OP
B

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't buy the pedal when I had the chance, and now SVS is gone?? Anyone know if we can still get it?

:(

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have been ok with my gas pedal since i did the rubberband fix last year.
still would like for it to have a more solid feel but atleast it dosnt jiggle around anymore.

OP
OP
B

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll try the rubberband thing.... Maybe I should just get over it and move on :rolleyes:

If anyone finds a solution - ever -- PM me about what you did

:usa:

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to start a thread on how poor the pedals are on a Viper, and what can be done to correct it. Gas pedal moves way too much, and the difference in height from flooring the clutch pedal to the gas pedal means you have to drive the car with your accelerator leg bent too much. What can be done to correct this? I know about the kit (metal bar) to lower the cluth pedal one inch. This will not corrrect the problem above though. Ron.

I agree about the feel of the gas pedal being too light. Maybe I've been driving a Crown Vic way too long too. Anyways, not really addressing the issue of the pedal feedback but here's a post that I made several years back regarding adjusting the pedal position relative to each other. I had to correct the images since the post was prior to the new site.

lol...I even notice the rubber band thing on my gas pedal.

I posted this since I saw a post regarding a clutch pedal modification and several members were asking about how to adjust the clutch pedal height.

Your clutch, brake and gas pedals can be adjusted individually. Once you adjust the individual pedal heights, the pedal actuator knob will adjust them all as one unit. It's pretty simple and can be done without contorting your body or removing the driver's seat.

Here's how:

Remove the knee blocker trim panel below the steering column
2827pedaladjust001_copy.jpg

2827pedaladjust002_copy.jpg

2827pedaladjust003_copy.jpg

You can adjust each pedal individually by removing the retaining clip and turning the cables clockwise to move the pedal towards you and counterclockwise to move the pedal away from you.
2827pedaladjust004_copy.jpg

Get in the drivers seat and test out the position of the pedals before you reassemble. I drove mine just to make sure the pedals were in the right position before I reassembled everything.

Use a 1/4 inch nut driver or socket to push the retaining clip on to the cable end and check to make sure they're secure. Reinstall the panel and enjoy your perfectly adjusted pedals. :2tu:
2827pedaladjust005_copy.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21