Gas pump nozzle

sambo32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to gas station to fill up my 09 SRT-10 for the first time and was not able to squeeze the nozzle all the way while filling up. I had to squeeze the nozzle just a little bit, and it would still shut down. Is this normal on the vipers.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i put the nozzle upside down when i have problems.

Reaction score
Sometimes I think it is the curve of the nozzle, if I pull it out just a bit the flow is better but the auto shut off may not work as it should.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my '08. What a pain in the A$$!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
All of the Gen 3 and 4 Vipers can have issues with certain gas nozzles and dirty gas pump filters. Not sure why but have experienced it many times.

Dan

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had this problem on a NISMO 350z I previously owned. It only occured at one particular station. I do not have this problem with the Viper. As said above try a different station.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The nozzle auto-shut off feature uses the small holes in the tip to sense the rising foam level. (Take a look, most people never realize the holes are there.) These holes get dinged and close up over time, so sometimes the problem is with the nozzle itself. Otherwise, the curvature of the filler neck is affecting how the nozzles sense the fuel level, so holding the handle up (i.e. don't rest it in the filler) or some rotation will help.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My SRT had this problem from day one. At all stations. Turning the handle to about the 9 or 10 O'Clock position helps quite a bit. Filling is worse in cold weather than warm. I always thought it had something to due with vent tube placement but have just put up with the hold the handle at an angle solution.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The nozzle auto-shut off feature uses the small holes in the tip to sense the rising foam level. (Take a look, most people never realize the holes are there.) These holes get dinged and close up over time, so sometimes the problem is with the nozzle itself. Otherwise, the curvature of the filler neck is affecting how the nozzles sense the fuel level, so holding the handle up (i.e. don't rest it in the filler) or some rotation will help.

Seriously Tom,

You may well be the most intelligent person I've ever had the pleasure to meet. How the heck do you retain all this info? Next time I see you I'm going to check the back of your head for some huge flash card! For those of you who have not met Tom in person, despite his vast data base of knowledge, he's also one of the most humble fellows you'll ever meet.

Regarding the topic...it's not at all unusual. As others have mentioned, turn the handle upside down (so that it's in the most awkward position possible) and it should flow.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously Tom,

You may well be the most intelligent person I've ever had the pleasure to meet. How the heck do you retain all this info? Next time I see you I'm going to check the back of your head for some huge flash card! For those of you who have not met Tom in person, despite his vast data base of knowledge, he's also one of the most humble fellows you'll ever meet.

Regarding the topic...it's not at all unusual. As others have mentioned, turn the handle upside down (so that it's in the most awkward position possible) and it should flow.

I agree - every time I see Tom post something, I pay attention to it because I know I'll learn something.

On that note, how in the heck do the nozzles know what 'full' is? On my Jeep, I regularly have the nozzle shut off when I know there is still enough room in the tank to hold an extra two gallons or so. On those rare occassions where I know I'm getting a great deal on gas, I want to squeeze every last drop into the tank, but I'm always afraid of over filling and soaking the carbon filter with gas.

To the other extreme, I've had gas nozzles blow gasoline all over the place on my GTS when I've removed the nozzle. On that car, I never try to top off because it's just not worth getting gas all over the paint. For some reason the nozzles just don't seem to be very conservative in their shut-off behavior on the GTS...

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree - every time I see Tom post something, I pay attention to it because I know I'll learn something.

On that note, how in the heck do the nozzles know what 'full' is? On my Jeep, I regularly have the nozzle shut off when I know there is still enough room in the tank to hold an extra two gallons or so. On those rare occassions where I know I'm getting a great deal on gas, I want to squeeze every last drop into the tank, but I'm always afraid of over filling and soaking the carbon filter with gas.

To the other extreme, I've had gas nozzles blow gasoline all over the place on my GTS when I've removed the nozzle. On that car, I never try to top off because it's just not worth getting gas all over the paint. For some reason the nozzles just don't seem to be very conservative in their shut-off behavior on the GTS...

+1 for tom's coconut content and demeanor

my theory is it has to do with the shape of the tank and filler tubing and how it handles the bubbles, splash from filling :dunno:

my wife's car is consistent +1.5 gal after 1st shut off, old suburban less than +.5 gal after 1st shut off, viper never try after 1st shut off to avoid spillage :drive:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are too easily impressed!

The hole in the tip is connected to a venturi and so the fuel running through the dispenser creates a vacuum. It's like a carburetor in reverse - sucking in a teeny amount of air into the liquid fuel. Air is easy to draw in, but when the liquid level reaches this hole, and liquid is harder to **** in than air, a trip mechanism shuts the fuel flow off.

Early or late shut-off means that liquid is hitting the nozzle tip sooner or later than expected. It might be the curvature of the filler tube leading to the tank, where the vent from the tank merges with the filler tube, the length of the filler tube, diameter of tube, etc, etc...

Don't forget that the car companies would rather the nozzle shut off sooner. They fought like cats and dogs with the gasoline marketers about who would be responsible to capture the fuel vapor that is pushed out of the tank as the liquid level rises. (Gasoline marketers lost that battle and had to install the rubber accordian on the nozzle to coverthe fill hole.) Having gasoline spray over the fender kind of defeats the purpose! I wonder if someone with a car still under warranty can get the dealership to adjust something, since it is an "emissions" issue. Just a thought.

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Keep an eye on the vent tube at the fuel cup if you are having problems... There is a small vent hose that runs parallel to the main filler tube... if that little tube's rubber union gets twisted your car will show top off problems. And it an easy at home fix if it is twisted. Rubber unions take a set over time, and slowly will pinch off that feeder vent if they are torqued a bit.

Also see this thread from last year, same issue...

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/615739-08-wont-fill-up-gas.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang