Gas Tank Leak

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on repairing a leaking gas tank on a 02' GTS? I found that is leaking at the inlet pipe at the tank, I looks as if there is an o-ring around the inlet pipe? Any suggestions?

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just called Chuck Tator for you. He says the filler neck should have a gasket and a clamp and it just needs to be tightened. I just replaced my rubber gasket on my 93 yesterday but yours is different than mine. good luck. JD

OP
OP
F

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Do I need to remove the tank to tighten the gasket and clamp or can it be done from under the wheel well?

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Do I need to remove the tank to tighten the gasket and clamp or can it be done from under the wheel well?

remove the right rear tire and all the push clips and bolts that hold the inner wheel well in place. dont worry about the rivets through the body. pull the inner fender down as much as you can and hold out of the way with a bungee cord. you should have access to the clamps now from the bottom. its how I just did mine. hope this helps and sorry for the delayed responce, JD.

OP
OP
F

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, but my problem is worse than expected. My leak is coming from the actual tank at the seam of the filler neck of the tank. I've been told that you can re-weld the seam with a special welding iron and the proper polypropolene welding rod or "the tank needs to be replace". Ouch!!!!!!!

Has anyone experience this out there before?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought all the tanks were plastic? I know the early RT/10s were. Not sure if they are the same, but I have one out of a 98 RT/10.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought all the tanks were plastic?

Hence the reference above to needing to weld polypropylene. ;)

A plastic... :rolleyes:

Welding of plastics is tricky and you have to have good access; the welding equipment is somewhat bulky usually. Unfortunately, not much sticks to polypropylene except for melted polypropylene, leaving your options somewhat reduced. I do have and idea though, as with my experience in the chemical industry we repair all kinds of plastic stuff using non-conventional methods. ;)

If the crack is indeed on the filler neck (a straight section?) and does not follow a curved radius down to the tank body, you could maybe use some 2 part epoxy that has some adhesion strength to polypro and wrap that area with a strip of glass cloth (boat repair stuff) saturated in the epoxy. You obviously couldn't do that on the tank body, as I would just "lay" a strip of the cloth there. It needs to wrap back on to itself. It will also need to be smooth and not too thick as a hose slips over that right?

Also, there may be some epoxy putties available like Pig Putty that will adhere, or maybe even a specialized stuff.

Have you tried searching plastic gas tank repair on the WWW?

OP
OP
F

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I did do some searching for any type of epoxy that could bond to polypro. But everything I found finally ends up to the welding method. The leak is actually at the base of the filler neck on the tank body, so any epoxy will kind of lay flat on the tank surface. You see, the base of the filler neck is round in shape and is fused to a circular hole opening in the tank. It looks as if the factory weld has a defect on it. I also called Chryler and they told me that the fuel tank is only covered under "Fed Emission Warranty Section" which is only for 2 years or 24K miles unless I have a state of Califonia "Fed Emission Warranty" which is good for 7 years or 84k miles. Too bad I dont leave in Cali!!!!!!!!

If I do try to weld it while in place. Do you think I need to empty the tank entirely, due to the welding process has no spark or arc and is just heat?

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
unless you cut the roof off, the tank AINT coming out
Dodge sells a "warranty kit" that comes with a template and a patch plate to let you cut the trunk floor and get the tank in and out. Mike Figgolzi at Snake Pit in NY is the man at fixing these.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try some of Billy May's Mighty Putty. "Mighty Putty As Seen On TV is a super powered epoxy that does it all." It'll only cost you $19.95 for two sticks; no wait they'll throw in 6 sticks free for only the price of shipping and handling.

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try some of Billy May's Mighty Putty. "Mighty Putty As Seen On TV is a super powered epoxy that does it all." It'll only cost you $19.95 for two sticks; no wait they'll throw in 6 sticks free for only the price of shipping and handling.
and now he has some new burger tray flippy cooking thingy too!

RickViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I might have the same problem with my 94 RT, everytime i fill the gas tank and make a left turn a big smell of gas starts to feel inside the car, but as the tanks gets to half it stops... ANY IDEAS??

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might have the same problem with my 94 RT, everytime i fill the gas tank and make a left turn a big smell of gas starts to feel inside the car, but as the tanks gets to half it stops... ANY IDEAS??
could be the gasket on top of the tank for the pump assembly. you will have to pull carpet back and look there for residual stains from the fuel leaking

RickViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok... that sounds like it... i will ckeck, otherwise do you think i may need to check under the right tire?? take everything off?? what i saw its some corrosion right on the entrance of the fuel side.. i open the gas cap and it looks like watter its staying there and even if you run your finger it stays in your finger but i dont want to put WD-40 there....

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok... that sounds like it... i will ckeck, otherwise do you think i may need to check under the right tire?? take everything off?? what i saw its some corrosion right on the entrance of the fuel side.. i open the gas cap and it looks like watter its staying there and even if you run your finger it stays in your finger but i dont want to put WD-40 there....

Water is staying in where?? does your tank leak any fuel after you fill up or do you smell fuel while its just sitting? you should do the inlet gasket like I just did. Our cars need the new gasket and its very cheap!

OP
OP
F

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gas tank leak has been repaired. I was able to weld the plastic defected seam with a special mini plastic welder from Urethane Supply Company - Plastic Repair and Plastic Welders, this item works great. A great must have tool for today's cars. I did not even need to cut an access panel or even empty the gas tank. This tool is basically a soldering iron with special temperature settings for the different types of plastics and comes with a variety of welding rods for all the different types of plastics out there. This tool saved me from a big and expensive repair bill.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960