Gear Swap for '08's

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now my car has gone over the breakin miles and I'm able to open her up more, and after driving her for enough miles on the highway to realize 6th is totally useless under 80MPH, the gear swap is more and more on my mind. I've read many gear swap threads here ubt not enough on the '08's. So I would like to get opinions here on 08 gear swaps - Qaife vs. stock diff, before and after responsiveness, in gear top speed, drivability, as well as ratio you went with, etc.

OP
OP
A

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I did searched and have read all three of the above but they did NOT reveal the information that I was looking for - in gear top speeds, '08 owners' impression after the swap in more detail (instead of saying it was a good mod or from an earlier Gen owner), which diff. they ended up with, etc. Maybe not enough '08 owners have done the swap yet. I, personally am thinking of doing the 3.54 gear swap with the stock diff. I'm not a competitive driver that needs the last tenth of a second so probably won't need the Quaife.

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not a Viper but I switched the gears out on my 500+ hp Trans Am from 3.42's to 4.56's. It was mostly a track car. With 3.42's I had it up to over 180mph out in the desert. With 4.56's the top speed was around 150 due to the higher gears. With the 3.42's like you said 6th was point less under 80 mph, with 4.56's I could use 6th gear on the highway. going across country I got 28 mpg with 3.42's and it dropped to 23 mpg with 4.56's. not sure what stock gears are in the 08 Viper but I do not think small differences will make that much difference on your viper. If it was mine, I would go to at least 3.90's or even 4.10's to get the nice pick up feel. you would still have 6th for highway driving.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not a fan. Going to shorter gears certainly may FEEL faster, but you're effectively trading 1st gear for 6th. I seldom use 6th gear unless I'm looking to relax. Why anyone is clamoring to make 6th gear useful is beyond me and a shortened 1st gear makes it even more "torquey", i.e., futile. 4,000 rpm and up in the '08 is explosive (on the edge of dangerous). Why would I want shorter gearing?

5th gear with the stock rear end is perfect for the hiway.

I never got this one. :dunno:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I did searched and have read all three of the above but they did NOT reveal the information that I was looking for - in gear top speeds, '08 owners' impression after the swap in more detail (instead of saying it was a good mod or from an earlier Gen owner), which diff. they ended up with, etc. Maybe not enough '08 owners have done the swap yet. I, personally am thinking of doing the 3.54 gear swap with the stock diff. I'm not a competitive driver that needs the last tenth of a second so probably won't need the Quaife.

"Last Tenth" is an understatement. The Quaiffe has provided lap times of 1.5 - 2.0 sec PER LAP vs the 03-06. It was even SCCA 'illegal' initially. I have no hard data 08.

Since the top-speed is now Aero-Limited in ACR...... the gearing would "PROBABLY" be an asset in 5th vs the aero-drag you are fighting.

The 08 Visco-Lok is much more effective than the 03-06 Hydra-Lok......We just did a 3:73 for an 08 ACR, pure track car...............amazing fast, scary fast. His 4th Viper, we recommended 3:55, he insisted...........and he kept the OE Visko.

We have NEW 08s diffs in stock, 0 miles, ready for a drop-in Swap. NO TAX. CA-CA shipping $60.

Last edited:

1HOTV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bruce
There are at least three or four So Cal Viper club 08 owners that have made the change.
3:33 seams to be the conservative choice. You may want to contact Dan Cragin at D.C. Performance or go to our local So Cal web sight and ask members that are driving the same Freeways, Mountain roads,and Tracks that you will be.

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Gen 4 and JonB set me up with a new 08 diff and 3.33's - now grant it UPS lost it in the middle (don't ask me how they could lose such a large box!:omg:), found it right as hurricane Ike was about to smack Texas where the mechanic for the winner of the Viper Racing League was waiting to perform surgery for me and of course delivered it just as he was heading out to the next race but in the end it all worked out.

I LOVE it! The car really comes alive, feels more natural in all gears and has more torque immediately on tap. The first three are :2tu: :D :2tu:, 4th will get you through 150 and 5th will take you a nip past 200 - a good thrill on a closed course. :drive: If you are on the highway and want mileage 6th is comfortable at 70 so I do use 5th as well as 6th more where in stock gears I only used 6th to say technically I did.

We have had numerous Vipers including experience with a Quaife and with 3.55s. The 3.55s had even more torque but there are circumstances (of course not on public roads) where you could and did run out of 4th too early.

In conclusion, I am very happy with the change. I wish it was a factory option but fortunately we have JonB.

Reaction score
I'm not a fan. Going to shorter gears certainly may FEEL faster, but you're effectively trading 1st gear for 6th. I seldom use 6th gear unless I'm looking to relax. Why anyone is clamoring to make 6th gear useful is beyond me and a shortened 1st gear makes it even more "torquey", i.e., futile. 4,000 rpm and up in the '08 is explosive (on the edge of dangerous). Why would I want shorter gearing?

5th gear with the stock rear end is perfect for the hiway.

I never got this one. :dunno:

The main reason I like to change the gear is not to make 1st worthless and 6th usable but what gear are you in "most" 3rd and 4th I bet, and a 3.55 or 3.73 will make the Viper even more beastly through this range in a roll situation. They feel like 2 gear used to in 3-5 which is a ton of fun IMHO.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The main reason I like to change the gear is not to make 1st worthless and 6th usable but what gear are you in "most" 3rd and 4th I bet, and a 3.55 or 3.73 will make the Viper even more beastly through this range in a roll situation. They feel like 2 gear used to in 3-5 which is a ton of fun IMHO.

Hey Mark, a lot of folks seem to enjoy the change, so good for them. I don't know if it's a large percentage of owners, but that really shouldn't matter.

I run most hiways in 4th or 5th. For my driving, 5th is virtually always OK. If I'm in a "feisty" mood, then 4th is perfect. I can hiway cruise between 60 and 90 with ridiculous power in 4th.

Then again, I'm likely a bit less aggressive than most of the bunch that's interested in changing out their gears. More power to them! :headbang:

OP
OP
A

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Last Tenth" is an understatement. The Quaiffe has provided lap times of 1.5 - 2.0 sec PER LAP vs the 03-06. It was even SCCA 'illegal' initially. I have no hard data 08.

Since the top-speed is now Aero-Limited in ACR...... the gearing would "PROBABLY" be an asset in 5th vs the aero-drag you are fighting.

The 08 Visco-Lok is much more effective than the 03-06 Hydra-Lok......We just did a 3:73 for an 08 ACR, pure track car...............amazing fast, scary fast. His 4th Viper, we recommended 3:55, he insisted...........and he kept the OE Visko.

We have NEW 08s diffs in stock, 0 miles, ready for a drop-in Swap. NO TAX. CA-CA shipping $60.

Jon,
3.73 might be too much gear for me so please PM a price for an '08 diff w/ 3.5x gear if posting a price here is not Kosher. I'll return my 600 miles OEM diff as core exchange. Thanks.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jon,
3.73 might be too much gear for me so please PM a price for an '08 diff w/ 3.5x gear............. I'll return my 600 miles OEM diff as core exchange. Thanks....

I wholeheartedly agree......he did the 3:73 against my advice, but he is an accomplished driver and insisted. Go 355, and if you plan to add HP go 3:33. Same Price.

I used to have *** turned on.....Indescribable. Insane. Impossible.
Since they are turned off I cannot send or receive ***, sorry.

Please email me at [email protected] Thank you.
or call 360 837 3937 pacif time

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For my driving, 5th is virtually always OK. If I'm in a "feisty" mood, then 4th is perfect.

Hey Scott, for your driving don't you mean Neutral most of the time and when you feel "feisty" 2nd gear is where its at for you. :D

Reaction score
No reprogramming needed.

I have to take this back because even though you can do it there is a potential for drivability issues from the gear change during tip in and tip out throttle applications. I believe the new Mopar controller will have an adjustment range that will compensate for up to a 4.10 gear though along with other benefits.

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is my first Viper and I have a few newbie questions on this topic:

What is a quaife differential?

Will changing the gear ratio actually make the car faster ie 1/4 mile times or just feel like each gear is pulling faster?

I would be concerned with traction issues in 1st gear, can anyone give their experience having changed to more aggressive gears?

What is a ballpark cost of a mod like this?

Thanks for the info!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is my first Viper and I have a few newbie questions on this topic:

What is a quaife differential?

Will changing the gear ratio actually make the car faster ie 1/4 mile times or just feel like each gear is pulling faster?

I would be concerned with traction issues in 1st gear, can anyone give their experience having changed to more aggressive gears?

What is a ballpark cost of a mod like this?

Thanks for the info!

This is an emminently searchable topic sir, but here is the SHORT version:

The Quaife is a bullet-proof, torque-biasing, gear-driven diff unit that allows the Viper to accelerate faster without wheelspin, PARTICULARLY while cornering. Straightline accel is perfect-instant 50-50....and you SQUIRT out of corners.

My personal opinion is that BANG FOR BUCK, there is no better (or less costly) mod to accelerate faster-quicker, than a gear ratio swap. You give up 165mph+ speeds....(mere seconds of your driving life)....in favor of HOURS of Seat-Of-Pants quicker acceleration in all gears. Stop-Lite grand prix, interstate pull-away, learn to drive your car AGAIN faster.

Do a gear for 99% of your driving life, not the 1% at the drag strip!

The gear change affects the 20-150 speed positivley, and can affect the 0-20 adversely. If you are a GOOD DRIVER, who can consistenetly get sub 1.9 sec 0-60 times, you can address wheelspin with finesse, feathering, and a lighter flywheel helps a lot. So do lighter wheels and stickier tires...... I have many customers who master the sub-1.9 (with 355s, tires and flyweehl andget 1.6s) and get their best ETs. If you cannot master the spin Mr Bigfoot, youll see your trap MPH rise to 5-7 mph faster, while the ET is only a tenth or 2 faster.

Gears with all rebuild parts in a box, under $600. [08 needs a SERIOUS EXPERT..92-06 does not.]
Gears EXPERTLY instaled in an 08 diff for exchange, add about $1000 more...
Gears and a Quaife EXPERTLY into a diff add about $1800 to the above costs... {Thank You.}

Last edited:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey jon,not to change the subject,when you take the screws from the rear pan and difusers to get to the battery,seems like there are some clips but not all the screws have clips,is this correct,its seems like the ones with no clips -the thread holes will not be as tight upon re-assembly?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great to know,how pull up the rear mat to acess door?thanks for reply

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had 355s on my 96-97 vipers and i felt it was a great all around ratio.
And with the taller Gen III tires 3.73 gears on a Gen III are the equivalent of 3.55 gears in a Gen II.

I've said it many many times, but since you Gen III guys do not seem to have spending limits, you should really think about shorter 5th and 6th ratios in addition to shorter rear end gears. Get your top speed in 6th instead of 5th and have the car geared the way it SHOULD have been geared from teh factory (like the CTS-V and ZR-1 are geared).

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is an emminently searchable topic sir, but here is the SHORT version:

The Quaife is a bullet-proof, torque-biasing, gear-driven diff unit that allows the Viper to accelerate faster without wheelspin, PARTICULARLY while cornering. Straightline accel is perfect-instant 50-50....and you SQUIRT out of corners.

My personal opinion is that BANG FOR BUCK, there is no better (or less costly) mod to accelerate faster-quicker, than a gear ratio swap. You give up 165mph+ speeds....(mere seconds of your driving life)....in favor of HOURS of Seat-Of-Pants quicker acceleration in all gears. Stop-Lite grand prix, interstate pull-away, learn to drive your car AGAIN faster.

Do a gear for 99% of your driving life, not the 1% at the drag strip!

The gear change affects the 20-150 speed positivley, and can affect the 0-20 adversely. If you are a GOOD DRIVER, who can consistenetly get sub 1.9 sec 0-60 times, you can address wheelspin with finesse, feathering, and a lighter flywheel helps a lot. So do lighter wheels and stickier tires...... I have many customers who master the sub-1.9 (with 355s, tires and flyweehl andget 1.6s) and get their best ETs. If you cannot master the spin Mr Bigfoot, youll see your trap MPH rise to 5-7 mph faster, while the ET is only a tenth or 2 faster.

Gears with all rebuild parts in a box, under $600. [08 needs a SERIOUS EXPERT..92-06 does not.]
Gears EXPERTLY instaled in an 08 diff for exchange, add about $1000 more...
Gears and a Quaife EXPERTLY into a diff add about $1800 to the above costs... {Thank You.}

Thanks for the summary, that was the info I was looking for!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey acr bruce,ever findout what that black deisle smoke was under your little monster?

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
same here, I can't seem to get my ACR to keep the power down when rolling into 1st gear.....

This is my first Viper and I have a few newbie

Thanks for the info!