Gears hard to get into, sometimes, usually when warm.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, on my 98' GTS, when cold it shifts like normal. After it warms up, it sporadically is tough to get into gears, typically first gear or reverse from a stop. I know that the clutch slave cylinder goes bad on these, but I'm not losing fluid and it seams to be heat induced. Could it just need a full flush or is it definitely the salve going bad? It can come and go, but when it starts, it's stays that way for the rest of the trip until cooled down. At a light, going into second, then first always helps. It's been like this since I bought it a year ago, but has occurred more often recently, especially now that it's warm. Thanks.

Rickman6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how old is your clutch fluid ? if it is old and contains water.. add heat .. =reduced function of disengagement of clutch

OP
OP
K

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I really don't know for sure but according to the previous owner, all the fluids were changed in 2008. I changed every fluid except the clutch fluid last fall.
Well since starting this thread over an hour ago, I went ahead and changed the fluid by myself using a bleeder I made with some hose, a check valve, and a pump. The fluid was dark brown, really bad. I flushed over half a bottle through it until clear. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if it worked as it's raining now.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the clutch fluid change does not completely solve the problem, check your motor and transmission mounts.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check and monitor clutch fluid level changes. As you suspect, you might be losing your slave cylinder. I lost mine and there was no fluid leakage outside the transmission (it all got soaked up in the dust inside). All I had to show for it was an empty clutch master reservoir.

OP
OP
K

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the clutch fluid change does not completely solve the problem, check your motor and transmission mounts.

I have Woodhouse mounts that I installed a year ago, but I never thought of that.

Check and monitor clutch fluid level changes. As you suspect, you might be losing your slave cylinder. I lost mine and there was no fluid leakage outside the transmission (it all got soaked up in the dust inside). All I had to show for it was an empty clutch master reservoir.

The thing is, I'm not losing any fluid, the reservoir is always full. Last fall I sucked out the old fluid from the reservoir but didn't flush it. I thought it was much harder to flush so I put it off, but it was actually quite easy with a home made bleeder setup. I haven't lost any fluid since I topped it off last fall.

I have always noticed that the first third of pressing the clutch pedal, I get a very soft mushy feel. About 1/3rd into it I feel the normal heavy pedal as it disengages the clutch on the GTS, unlike the consistent heavy feel of my 94'. I always attributed it to the complex adjustable pedal pulley assembly. If you look under the footwell, it's a very elaborate setup, where the GEN1 is simple.

Could it also be the master cylinder?

I'll see how it goes, it's still raining. Thanks guys.

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had the exact same problem as you. ultimately it wouldn't go into any gear. Ended up replacing the Clutch Slave Cylinder.
and just like you.. reservoir wasn't low and saw no leaking anywhere.
$300 in parts, $500 in labor. Good luck.

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and to add to that.. my '97 has 21k on it.. I guess they're known to fail when not driven often.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950