GEN 1 Dashboard replacement? With a GEN 2?

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was hoping for some assistance....i have a 95 RT/10 with the black Dash...the material its made of is garbage....A replacement is on back order with dodge, is there ANY way POSSIBLE to somehow fit a GEN 2 Dash with the nicer more durable material. THe shape looks exactly the same, but i am told it won't work, but there has to be some customizing that can be done to make it work....ANY IDEAS???? Anybody tried this???

yellow94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperJames,
I have a '94 with a '96 RT dash - perfect fit and no fuzzy paint. Paint is the factory flat.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced my 94 gray dash with a new black one, Easy job.
I believe it was about $350 when I did it.

You could probably repaint your old one.
I'm not sure if the new parts are still available. Semms like I remember them being hard to get.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To install the Gen 2 dash on the Gen 1.. you'd have to purchase the complete dash cover, the substructure and the gauges.

I imagine the mounting points are close to the same.... but it would be a lot of work.

My guess is it can be done... heck, I once saw a '42 Mercury with a 1998 Sable instrument panel in it.. anything can be accomplished... it's just how much time and dinero you want to put into it.

OP
OP
V

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys...i think i am just going to sand and repaint, and continue to look for a new dash for back up...any ideas on what type of sandpaper i should use?

Thanks,

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont paint it flat black, it looks cheap. Mine was flat black then I had it painted and converted my interior to black.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
V

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW...The interior in your car looks GREAT...What kind of paint did you use(type/brand)and also did you have to take the dashboard out to do it? Also did you sand down the dash first? Is the paint durable? My fear is it will start chipping in no time...Thanks so much for any advice you can give.

James

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too have a worn dash problem and am considering paint, any advice on technique or type of paint?

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score
James,
Like I said in my PM it was done at a body shop. The paint is very durable, same thing thats on the outside of your car. :laugh: So far it is easy to keep clean, just wipe it off with a microfiber towel to get off dust and finger prints. Dash is easy to take out, can be done easy in 10 min.

Patrick

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
awesome, this is going to improve the interior of my car so much, its the only thing that shows its age. I think I'll start telling people its a 2005, they seem to think it is anyway...