Gen 1 Exhaust

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Alright thinking of doing some exhaust mods to my gen 1, but i just dont know what to get or which is better and what not. I know i dont want to do headers. im pretty sure im going to delete cats, but what mufflers should i get. I went through the exhaust clip thread but it seems to be all gen 2s. All im looking for is a little louder and more rumble not so much a UPS truck tone. Is there a different between the sounds of a gen 1 and gen 2? any help would be greatly appreciated. THanks

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have high flow cats & a Borla and think it sounds great. I think I have a video of mine on the exhaust clip thread.

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used my stock manifolds, cat delete, 3" exhaust with magnaflow straight through mufflers. I found it annoying at some cruise speeds so I put a couple of turbos inline to quiet things down.. ;)

Later,

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright thinking of doing some exhaust mods to my gen 1, but i just dont know what to get or which is better and what not. I know i dont want to do headers. im pretty sure im going to delete cats, but what mufflers should i get. I went through the exhaust clip thread but it seems to be all gen 2s. All im looking for is a little louder and more rumble not so much a UPS truck tone. Is there a different between the sounds of a gen 1 and gen 2? any help would be greatly appreciated. THanks

Gen II's sound better since they have all 10 cylinders exiting out the rear, Gen I's and Iv's don't sound as good with the split side exhaust. I have a Henessey on my Gen I, Roe makes a good set up for you.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gen 2s have stock headers (small tube exhaust) whereas Gen1s have cast iron exhuast manifolds. (Heavier and power loss). Gen 2s have exhaust out the rear whereas Gen 1, 3 and 4 have side exhaust. Some Gen 3s have crossovers which overheat the cab even worse than the stock catylitic Convertors.

This last 2010 Vipers have a flowthrough exhaust that I read is similar to Corsa sound cancellation technology which is where you get free flowing, non restrictive excellent sounding exhaust. Borla makes an exhaust that apparently has Drone and Corsa makes an excellent sounding exhaust for all Generations. Each is custom tailor'd to the lenght of the piping - although the Corsa Tech at VOI X admitted to me that Gen 2s sound the way they do because that extra 10' of 3" mandrel bent stainless steel pipe mellows out the sound. It also allows a 6" equalizer (H) pipe between the exhaust banks which quiets and mellows out the sound a little.

My Roe supercharged 98 GTS had stock tube manifolds, Roe Hiflow Cats and and Random Tech Catback. It also sounded nice.

If I was you, I'd go with 98+ Stock Exhaust tube manifolds, no or Hi-flow Cats and a Corsa Street (quieter) exhaust. JonB sells lots and could tell you the specs, but I would want better mileage and hp increases from MY money. Your car could also use the 09 2010 exhaust (it's probably more expensive?) and sound awesome.

Chrysler Dealer brought out an SSG (08 or 09?) to our Wstrn Cda AutoX and I'm afraid to say that it had NO sound. Vacuum maybe? It was the quietest Viper there and even the SL63 sounded better.

Ted

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is my clip

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y77pcssV7Os[/media]

Definitely louder and more rumble ... at VCA cruises I'm usually among the loudest there. There is some drone below 2000 RPM but it quiets out nicely if you drive in the right gears. Sounds like a Viper should and is mean at WOT. I wouldn't go back to the stock gen1 sound.

OP
OP
R

Rheeder218

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks for the help but im really not looking at changing the manifolds, just delete the cats and have a muffler that has some good sound to it.

tim bob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was looking to do the same thing to my gen 1 added roe high flo cats with the roe mufflers it sounds way better also side sill are way cooler. real easy to install system.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My setup is similar to your desire but was done by the previous owner who says he doesn't know who made the muffs. ('94, cat-delete, wrapped 2.5" pipes) It sounds cool but it's loud in the cabin. I usually drive it with earplugs! Something to keep in mind: any gen 1 cat-delete is gonna make the cabin drone pretty obnoxious.

my .02

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been searchicg for just something like this, but when people say "just muffler", where do they find it, when I search partsrack and roeracing, I only find complete catback systems. (what else is in between there?)

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roy, you need to put a piece of pipe where the cat would be to delete the cat.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Exhaust comprises of headers/manifolds, "elbow" and flex pipe, Cat, rear oxysensor, muffler, turn out.

I have a set of Gen 2 stock tubemanifolds, elbow and flex pipe for sale for anyone looking to upgrade hp and save quite a few pounds ...

Ted

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a complete Gen 1 Belanger exhaust system in a box ready to go, High flow cats included

I have PM'd Rheeder218 with the details, it is a set of headers, high flow Cats and Belanger side exhaust.

ront/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just put the roe system on(high flow cats and mufflers)and love it. My 94' sounds awesome!

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put the roe system on(high flow cats and mufflers)and love it. My 94' sounds awesome!

Do you have a soundclip of that?! I want the same setup but it is quit difficult (read impossible) to find somebody over here with the roe on a Gen1 without the headers done.

I would greatly appreciate it.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have a soundclip of that?! I want the same setup but it is quit difficult (read impossible) to find somebody over here with the roe on a Gen1 without the headers done.

I would greatly appreciate it.

What about Elmar (Heysie on here)?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang