Gen 2 doors not staying open?

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
my doors don't sag, so I THINK my hinges are ok. Basically, when I'm getting out, no matter how far I push the door open, it doesn't stay in an open position. This makes it a ***** to get out sometimes

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like the door check is broken. On the viper it is a piece of spring steel that rubs against the hinge to hold the door open. Very common for this to break. You have to replace the hinge to fix it.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a wrecked hingle from X2. Drilled out the spring steel piece that broke from both hinges, and simple bolted the replacement back in place. Simple to do and cost $50.00 for the X2 hingle. Been fine for 3+ years now.

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've the same problem on my driver side door. Didn't think it was going to be expensive to fix but reading this I think I'll slide on fixing this one.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
same here, mine broke off. Yes it is part of the hinge wich is frustrating since it could have easily been a separate piece bolted to the hinge.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a wrecked hingle from X2. Drilled out the spring steel piece that broke from both hinges, and simple bolted the replacement back in place. Simple to do and cost $50.00 for the X2 hingle. Been fine for 3+ years now.

I have the same issue with the driver's side door (probably breaks first since its used the most). Sorry to be an ignoramus, what's an X2?

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to do mine years ago and decided not to change the hinge but just the check stap.
basically i drilled out the rivet holding the 2 spring metal plate on both the car hinge and the new one, tapped the hole were the rivet was and bolted on the new spring metals.
One big advantage of doing it that way ( beside not having to reallign the door) is that in case of new breakage it will only take a few minutes to change the check strap

Luc 00GTS

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow... I gues I'll leave mine the way it is... It adds to the charm of the car and it's fun at 50 years old to see if I'm still limber enough to exit each time without mashing the speaker grill...:rolleyes:

Hinge part #5245109 $274.00 each not to bad. Installing and adjusting the door is another story.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to do mine years ago and decided not to change the hinge but just the check stap.
basically i drilled out the rivet holding the 2 spring metal plate on both the car hinge and the new one, tapped the hole were the rivet was and bolted on the new spring metals.
One big advantage of doing it that way ( beside not having to reallign the door) is that in case of new breakage it will only take a few minutes to change the check strap

Luc 00GTS
Yep, my drivers door sprung hinge snapped in half too! I like that idea of tapping the hole :2tu:

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dug up this thread from over a year ago, I have the same problem described here.

Since this thread, is there any better solution to a broken door strap? Mine popped pretty loudly, now creaks every time I open the door.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Luc 00GTS

Hey Frenchy not all of us are mechanical geniuses like you, do you even drive that Viper anymore? I have yet to see that black w/silver strips beast of yours at a track :D

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my doors don't sag, so I THINK my hinges are ok. Basically, when I'm getting out, no matter how far I push the door open, it doesn't stay in an open position. This makes it a ***** to get out sometimes

dude, just throw a cinder block on your passenger seat and use it to hold the door open when getting out! duh!!!:lmao:

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes, but what kind of old dude grunting sounds are you making :omg:

:rolaugh::lmao:

Actually, I would like to know more about the spring. Can you buy just the spring any where??l My driver door has the same problem! I make the grunting noises too....mostly out of frustration trying to get out before the door closes on me......

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:rolaugh::lmao:

Actually, I would like to know more about the spring. Can you buy just the spring any where??l My driver door has the same problem! I make the grunting noises too....mostly out of frustration trying to get out before the door closes on me......

Finally, the voice of reason steps in, grunting. My car's door just swings freely and without a check strap, this is kind of a pain. The door flies out against the hinge itself or closes back on my leg.

Anyway, a vendor attempted to email me but it bounced because of too many in my mailbox, all cleared now.

I've seen a few on ebay in the 75-130 range, so they're available. It sounds like we have to get the whole hinge, but was hoping for some insight here in case this problem has gotten easier to solve.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96