Gen 2 drivers impression of an '08

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I rode as passenger only, however...

My quick observations in a 10 minute ride keeping in the lower RPM band.

There is no off idle torque. It will take some time for new owners to get used to and not stall. This could be in part due to the drive by wire throttle.

It feels docile and well mannered in normal traffic driving.

It looks like a vette over the front fenders. It blends in with traffic like a vette.

The handling and chassis felt very tight in what little we could do on the street.

Brakes....as a passenger the 3 point belt is useless. It hurts a bit when the slack runs out. I would not ride in this car without a harness at the racetrack. It slows down that fast. I've been in racecars as a passenger where you legs went out straight in long brake zones. I suspect it will be the same with this car.

Power....we couldn't get into it but I feel as though the cars going to rocket through the RPM band and that torque band is real flat after 2K. Meaning it's going to pull hard, then harder once it "comes up" on the cam. I want to feel this car again after it's got break in miles complete.

Summary:
I expect the '08 to be very fast at the track (roadcourse). I currently track my Gen 2 and typically don't have an issue being faster than the few Gen 3s I see there. I believe a few laps in the '08 and I could shave 2 or 3 seconds off my time at Willowsprings. Between the better brakes and the more docile secure feeling I think it will be easy to drive fast, and it will be fast enough to scare alot of folks. The downside to being so easy to drive this car is going to get alot of folks in trouble quickly. Folks that don't have experience with higher HP cars and have more money than sense will have an opportunity to get in over their heads in a heartbeat. Just as we saw the Z06s smashed in their early release, there is going to be the "I've bought first" crowd that stacks these up. This issue will be compounded as it's going to appeal to a broader spectrum of the market whereas the earlier gens were geared more to the ******** crowd. It's a real shame but we're going to see some folks "snakebit". Those with track experience will fair better and enjoy the changes....we'll everybody but Chuck. I believe Chuck will not like the docile feeling and not enjoy the car. That is, until he can get one on the track and see how fast it can really go, then he's going to be sold.

Being a low budget track rat and not a professional racer I think there's a lot in this car. The thought of the ACR although appealing, is also damn frightening.

All you '08 brethren enjoy your cars and please be careful. Get to a driving school soon!

Carl

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Gen 2 drivers impression of an '08 updated

Ok...I've now driven it twice. Once during breakin and just now where I could get on the throttle.

Did I say I thought I could shave 2 or 3 seconds off my willow time? I perhaps underestimated. HOLY CRAP this car is fast and the power just keeps on building. 1st gear rolling into the throttle and at ~3K it started loosing the tires as the power came up.

Nice job SRT & Dodge......Nice Job!

Carl

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Ok...I've now driven it twice. Once during breakin and just now where I could get on the throttle.

Did I say I thought I could shave 2 or 3 seconds off my willow time? I perhaps underestimated. HOLY CRAP this car is fast and the power just keeps on building. 1st gear rolling into the throttle and at ~3K it started loosing the tires as the power came up.

Nice job SRT & Dodge......Nice Job!

Carl

Nice report. Thank you!!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I can't wait to get my hands on an '08 at some point. Keep the info coming!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Carl,

The lighter flywheel and clutch combo will likely contribute to a "lower torque off idle" feeling and may take some time to get accustomed to.

It did in both my N/A cars with L/W flywheels.

Dan

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did I say I thought I could shave 2 or 3 seconds off my willow time? I perhaps underestimated. HOLY CRAP this car is fast and the power just keeps on building.

LOL When I read "2 or 3 seconds" in your first post I knew you hadn't really gotten on it yet.

Thanks for the write up Carl. Enjoy.

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wish I could enjoy it more but it's not my car. Should have some real track data in a couple of weeks. I hope to put in my data acquisiton into it for a few sessions so that I can compare the speeds to my GTS. The guy driving it isn't really afraid to go fast plus I hear a hot shoe may drive a session (can't say who yet) but we may see mid 20s if we're lucky. that's comp coupe territory.

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just to echo Carl's sentiments, I had this very same car out 30 minutes prior and make no mistake this is not a Gen 3.5, it is a Gen 4.

Dodge did a great job and my car, with bolt-ons, felt very sluggish after driving the 08. This car will be the next open track weapon of choice for experienced drivers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang