Gen 2 GTS Rebuild Project

lukegriz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just launched into a '98 GTS rebuild project and wanted to take some time to share the experience with any of you that might be interested. Hopefully through this series of posts, which will stretch over a month or two, I'll be able to accomplish the following things:
- Show the rebuild process I went through
- Talk about part sourcing (and cost)
- Get tips when I run into trouble
- Make myself available for anyone wondering about total cost through PM

At the end of the project I'm hoping this forums ends up with another good series of posts (search others, they're here) that might be helpful to the group in one way or another.

BACKGROUND:
I grew up in my father's bodyshop, so while this is my first time with a Viper it's far from the first rebuild. That said, I'm subcontracting the labor to one of his employees that has better skills than I do (know your weaknesses), especially in the area of fiberglass. The end goal of this project is a high quality rebuild for me to keep for years to come.

PROJECT OVERALL:
I picked up this '98 GTS at an insurance auction where I normally source project cars. When I got it home I was relieved to see that this 22k mile car was in fantastic condition. I truly couldn't be any happier with the cleanliness of the car throughout.

DAMAGE DETAILS:
As you'll see from the pictures, this car took a light (relative term) hit to the center of the front. In fact it was so centrally located that it didn't fold either frame rail, thus not setting of the airbags. In addition to the front hit there was also light impact to the rocker panel on the driver's side. Being that the body of these cars are primarily fiberglass, impact in one region of the car results in chipping of fiberglass in other areas. For instance, when the front takes a hit the door corners by the hood also get chipped. It's not a big deal but something to keep in mind when considering the overall work load and amount of paint prep you'll have to do at the end.

PARTS LIST:
Left rocker, left headlight, radiator, radiator support, condenser, bumper reinforcement, bumper cover, oil cooler, air box, hood duct, front end plastic, and some new tires for the front because they have flat spots from the skid (no ABS). This list is likely to expand a little as the project gets underway.

STARTING PICS:
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
L

lukegriz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At this point we're a couple work days into the project. I've already sourced parts over the last few weeks and though I'm mostly done with that I'm sure I'll have to pick up a few along the way.

Here's how it looked when it first made it home:

Then after the initial tear down and measuring of frame rails (note I've changed to Gen 3 wheels during the parts sourcing phase):

OP
OP
L

lukegriz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now after the frame rails are straight and bumper reinforcement installed (note that the frame rails were not folded - that's a big distinction when rebuilding):

This is the current status. More updates to come in the coming days.

OP
OP
L

lukegriz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Dennis.

The radiator support and bumper are coming along nicely now that the frame is back to square. There were some stress cracks in the radiator support that I picked up so they had to be dealt with. Also the front bumper cover had a rip in the lower right corner. With some stitching and the right kind of epoxy the old bumper cover's corner was used to fix the replacement bumper; still some finishing work to be done there of course. And for those of you with a keen eye, yes, it's a later model front cover. I'm not a big fan of the fog light lenses on the '98 model so I took my chance to delete them.

Here are some pics:

CajunMojo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice to see it coming along. For someone who drives a rebuild Viper, I find it interesting to watch this progress.

WSAYERS80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think I still have mine. I will check tomorrow. For the last month its been sitting outside in one piece. It is damaged, just not sure if its been tossed yet or not.

WSAYERS80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am just about done with my rebuild, I dropped it off to paint last week. I still need to replace the airbags then bleed the brakes. I had to replace all the same parts you did. Dodge carries a lot of them still, however some major components like the radiator and hoses are discontinued. Dodge does have the GTS hoods available. They come with the grills and ram air vent. $3400 no shipping fee. Unless you can repair yours or find it cheaper on ebay. You are lucky to have the airbags still intact. Mopar carries the passenger side airbag still for $1800 but the drivers side is no longer available. Those that have them for sale know this and proudly fetch top dollar. X2 wants $2600 Firm.. Your lucky though. I have a 2002 GTS FE. I love the Gen 3 wheels you upgraded too. I too did the same. I feel it does so much to the look of the car. Great choice. Are you gonna flip it? It seems like your gonna keep it lol.. Looking forward to seeing the finished project. It doesn't look like much damage but those parts add up quick.. my rebuild cost $13k but thats counting pain. 60-70% of the rebuild cost was the new hood, airbags I got from an ACR and a Full repaint of the car being that I feared a fresh coat of red paint would show up next to the original 11 y/o paint. So I choose to repaint the whole thing. Something to think about. Keep the pics coming. If you have any questions Hit me up. Like I said I just finished mine.. I am Taking it to dodge to have them do an inspection to see if I missed anything when its out of paint. Anyways good luck brother!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking did either of you replace the fibre glass reinforcing bumper with a new one?

Reason I ask is I'm after one for a project, basically I only need the bits to the left and the right of the frame mounts, the bit in the middle I intend to cut away to allow for some GTSR style recessed lights. I don't want to have to buy a non damaged one and cut it up.

Please pm me if you have an old damaged one :)

OP
OP
L

lukegriz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WSAYER80: Thanks for the encouragement, it sounds like we've got similar projects. The gents at X2 are pretty keen on the supply/demand aspect of these parts so I'm not surprised that they've got the airbag priced with the market. With my limited experience with them, they have been pretty helpful and extremely knowledgeable on these cars so you might keep them as a resource if you get jammed up. That said, when the airbag costs almost as much as the hood I can see why that'd hurt.
My plan for the car is to hang on to it. I typically rebuilt to sell, but this car is one I've had my eye on from a pretty young age so I think it'll stay with me. I'd be interested in seeing some pics of yours once you get it back from paint, so if you have some time please post them...or point me in the right direction if I've just missed them. Other guys have had some really informative rebuild posts and I appreciate every bit of info I can get. :)

OP
OP
L

lukegriz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking did either of you replace the fibre glass reinforcing bumper with a new one?

Reason I ask is I'm after one for a project, basically I only need the bits to the left and the right of the frame mounts, the bit in the middle I intend to cut away to allow for some GTSR style recessed lights. I don't want to have to buy a non damaged one and cut it up.

Please pm me if you have an old damaged one :)

I'll send a PM but wanted to post publicly too - if anybody wants leftover damaged parts, just pay shipping and I'll send them your way.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Do you suppose there's any chance the air bag is a carry over part from a different model? I thought I had heard that the steering column was a Jeep unit or something, might see if you can scrounge around to see if something else fits. I know the earlier gens were still more of a "parts bin" car than the gen 3/4.

WSAYERS80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey luke no problem.. I for some reason cannot not for the life of me figure out hot to post photos as you did. I have pics of my build. I am stopping by the paint shop tomorrow to check in.. PM me your email. I can send some photos .. Or tell me how to upload some here. Also ya Scott at X2 and Shannon are both very nice.. Scott knows exactly what he has and does not budge lol.. I was lucky to find a wrecked GTSR and I got both airbags, clock spring and module for 2k. Still hit but Being that dodge wants $1800 for just the Passenger It isn't such a bad deal.. Kicker is a 2003 airbag is $400-$700 depending where you go..

WSAYERS80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some parts are. I found that the Radiator overflow tank is the same as the 83"-92" dodge Ram 50. If you search for it as viper its $60-$120. if you search it out as Dodge Ram 50 its 19-20 bucks. lol

WSAYERS80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also found that the steering wheel frame structure is the same from 96-2010. Why what is important to me is that I have a Final edition car with red stitching. I didn't was to swap out steering wheels with an new model because Id would loose the red stitching. So I Bought a 2008 steering wheel for the plastic backing and a brand new 2010 airbag and mounted them both to my 2002 steering wheel. so It is the original 02 wheel with red stitching and a gen 3 airbag.

OP
OP
L

lukegriz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another quick update:
The car's frame looks great now and the the parts are starting the process of being fit up, which is a lot of on the car/off the car cycles. a lot of it was on the car last night so I snapped some photos. The main points are that the hood springs are straight and functional, frame work is complete, radiator support is dialed in though it needs some finishing work, and the hood itself is starting to be repaired.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tires look to be original ('03-04) Pilot Sport ZP's. Ya might want to consider new rubber or be prepared for another rebuild sooner that you'd think :nono:

OP
OP
L

lukegriz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, for the heads up. I think the date codes were 11's but I'll verify so I don't end up with any nasty surprises.

OP
OP
L

lukegriz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Update:

The hood/hinge combo is going through the fit up stage now. The guys at X2 gave some great advice about starting at the doors and working your way forward when you're trying to get the hood set right. For that reason, I included a shot of the door gap so you can see how progress is coming there. The guy doing this work is very detail oriented so we might be in this phase for a while...which I don't mind a bit!

OP
OP
L

lukegriz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Update:
There's been a little more progress on the hood repair and general fit up. The body lines are pretty close now, though there's still some adjustment to be done around the headlights. Soon it'll all be torn down again, finished up in terms of bodywork and painted.

OP
OP
L

lukegriz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Must have been bad lighting in one of the pics, the interior is just black.

Twinturbostang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dennis.

The radiator support and bumper are coming along nicely now that the frame is back to square. There were some stress cracks in the radiator support that I picked up so they had to be dealt with. Also the front bumper cover had a rip in the lower right corner. With some stitching and the right kind of epoxy the old bumper cover's corner was used to fix the replacement bumper; still some finishing work to be done there of course. And for those of you with a keen eye, yes, it's a later model front cover. I'm not a big fan of the fog light lenses on the '98 model so I took my chance to delete them.

Here are some pics:

What epoxy did you use? SEM product?

OP
OP
L

lukegriz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quick update: The car is back apart and going through the final prep work before primer/paint. All of the details under the hood are being sorted out, like routing the wiring, replacing P/S cooler brackets, and all of the small things that happen on a front hit. The hood is really looking great and I think we've got a bead on the gaps in the front.

I'd post a couple of pics but my data restrictions have changed now that I let my membership expire. I'll update through text for now and mess with the pics when the project is done. Search this title on google to find other places where the thread exists with pics.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235