Gen 2 RT/10 unstable at high speed. why?

rthorley

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys

So ive driven a

1999 RT/10
2001 RT/10
2002 RT/10

Love them and have put more then 10,000 miles behind the wheel.

my question is that every car seemed so unstable over 85MPH

for a sports car how come this car seems to wonder so much at high speeds the nose seems to lift and float over the road.

Ive owned alot of imports
several mitsubishi Evolutions
Subaru STI
1993 Mazda RX-7 R1

ive driven them all at sprints of 100 and they all seem to squat down and grip the road at high speeds.

where is the down force on the viper?

anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive driven a Gen 1 Viper, I cant say I ever noticed that problem? Road surface does make a hell of a diffrence, sometimes the car has a tendency to track ruts in the roads which can make the car wobble a bit. Before I had my Viper I ued to have a Cobra replica, now that was bad at high speed, but the Viper is much much better.

moparracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on a smooth road, i've been well over 100 & my gts rides great...... however on rutted/grooved roads, those wide tires like to track all over the place.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know a few RT's that have been WAY over 85 mph with no issues. sounds like you need to grow a set or get a GTS.

on mine (GTS) it seems to squat down hard at 150mph, you can really feel it at that point, never noticed it much at lower speeds

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you have a lowered car and have incorrect spring rate i found could cause this also

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
assuming you are running on a nice road:

suspension check...most lowered cars drive like ****.
alignment! Not too aggressive.
tire pressure!
new tires needed?
:drive:
Been at autobahn speed many times. No problems.
Means 130-175 mph and of course the GEN-1/2/3 are not as good as the GEN-4, but hey!

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no way all three had bad alignment, OP needs to grow a set

Lol! That could be it Plum. At first I thought he was going to be talking about the "chopped" rear end instability like the iconic Daytona coupe had before they fashioned that small spoiler on the back.(I Think they only made 6...I absolutely love that car! ) My 94 RT/10 seems fine at 120mph and I thought it was odd he mentioned 85mph.:dunno:

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I've had mine well over 160 on numerous occasions, no issues whatsoever. It seems to actually be more stable the higher I go. I'm thinking alignment or tire issues.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I first got my 2001 RT/10 in 2010, it had the original tires. I could hardly keep it going in a straight line at 60-80 mph on highway. New PS2s fixed that completely. Very stable at speed now.

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few moths ago on the drag strip I stayed on mine after the line up to speedo reading 160 and it was the most stable (and only) car I have ever driven at that speed. Most Cars I have driven wore unstable my 115 mph. I did notice it did take a lot of brake to slow down for 160, but then again I have never slowed down in a car from 160.

Last edited:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking alignment or tire issues.

Most likely. 99-02 was a while ago. He didn't say how many miles were on them but even if the specs are good the tie rod and tie rod ends could still be worn enough to cause less stability than normal.

Or he needs to grow a set like Plum said.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have only noticed this while running drag radials at high speeds. Only other time i've noticed this was driving on rutted roads, like others say these fat tires track those grooves and will throw you all over the road perse.

I've been upwards of 170 mph in my 99 RT/10 and I didn't notice a problem, sur ethe faster you go the lighter the car will feel up front but your talking 85-100 mph...at 85-100 i'm stuck to the road like glue. heck my normal driving speed is 85 in the Viper lol

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember, Vipers have a completely different feel that any other car. They are not smooth; the steering wheel can feel like it is going to jump out of your hands when you hit bumps; those big tires will track any groove in the road; these things could make you think it is unstable, but it is not.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed the same in my RT. My GTS is a whole nother story!

I seen your a MCVO. In the spring come on over the the West side of the state and I'll take you well over 150mph and you can tell me how stable you feel. You can bring your set with you as well.

OP
OP
R

rthorley

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no way all three had bad alignment, OP needs to grow a set

i dont think it has to do with growing a set....

i have no problem at high speeds but this car does track and wonder much more then others. Im wondering if you all have comparables? Have you driven other sports cars at these speeds?

all three have been on bad tires how ever good tread but old build date.

Smooth road so thats not the problem.

other cars ive driven are actually more planted and sable the faster they seem to go.