Gen 2 side exhaust mod?

ff273

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking for a little guidence,,, I am considering the side sill exhaust mod and I would like to know what are the quietest mufflers that I can use? and what other gremlins might I run into? I have a 2000 GTS. Also will I run into any computer code issues? Please chime in. thanks:)

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
stock cats will keep it quietest

hiflows and any number of different bullets will be louder

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking for a little guidence,,, I am considering the side sill exhaust mod and I would like to know what are the quietest mufflers that I can use? and what other gremlins might I run into? I have a 2000 GTS. Also will I run into any computer code issues? Please chime in. thanks:)

Random tech High flow cats with Corsa track exhaust which will also eliminate drone

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3" ceramic cats and Dynomax mufflers from Belanger/Parts Rack. Loud. Rattles things at the other end of the house when running inside the garage. Peels door paint when doing fly bys. Given your spec you do not want what I have.

You must be registered for see images

chopperpilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, this is how mine turned out:

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 93
  • viper left tip.jpg
    viper left tip.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 62

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3" ceramic cats and Dynomax mufflers from Belanger/Parts Rack. Loud. Rattles things at the other end of the house when running inside the garage. Peels door paint when doing fly bys. Given your spec you do not want what I have.

Hey Dave,

What did you coat the exhaust with? I'm looking for something that will help keep the heat in the exhaust.

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Following Dave's theme, I removed the side cats, moved the resonator forward and added a Dynomax. Obviously I don't have the rear exhaust either.

This will be the second setup that you don't want.

Ron

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Dave. I'll give that a shot.

I setup to get rid of as much drone and noise as possible after experimenting a bit. Here is what I ended up with. I went with two different mufflers under the theory that each muffler will have a different resonance freq and help to cancel each other out. I don't have any math to back up that statement, but the cabin drone is basically gone in this setup. You can fit the 6" round at the rear of the side exhaust just before the turnout. It has to be in before the angle in the frame that you can see in Dave's picture. However, I don't think you can fit a 6" round all the way to the CAT. It seems that the side sill area shrinks as you get closer to the CAT.

- Edelbrock 1.75" headers
- 3" piping
- ROE High Flow CAT
- Moroso Spiral Flow Muffler
- Magnaflow 6" Round 18" long chamber
- Dynomax exhaust cones welded into rear of Magnaflow muffler

I'm going to take some dB readings with my iPhone.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A side pipe car will never sound as good as a rear exhaust car. (hearing 5 cylinders vs 10 firing). It doesn't matter how loud it is (The louder the better) because the exists are behind you and not under your ear. Headers,No cats,Corsa. GTS Bruce

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Dave. I'll give that a shot.

I setup to get rid of as much drone and noise as possible after experimenting a bit. Here is what I ended up with. I went with two different mufflers under the theory that each muffler will have a different resonance freq and help to cancel each other out. I don't have any math to back up that statement, but the cabin drone is basically gone in this setup. You can fit the 6" round at the rear of the side exhaust just before the turnout. It has to be in before the angle in the frame that you can see in Dave's picture. However, I don't think you can fit a 6" round all the way to the CAT. It seems that the side sill area shrinks as you get closer to the CAT.

- Edelbrock 1.75" headers
- 3" piping
- ROE High Flow CAT
- Moroso Spiral Flow Muffler
- Magnaflow 6" Round 18" long chamber
- Dynomax exhaust cones welded into rear of Magnaflow muffler

I'm going to take some dB readings with my iPhone.

got pics :dunno:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A side pipe car will never sound as good as a rear exhaust car. (hearing 5 cylinders vs 10 firing). It doesn't matter how loud it is (The louder the better) because the exists are behind you and not under your ear. Headers,No cats,Corsa. GTS Bruce

Sounds like Ted and his BS theory. The only comments I get on my non-Ted or now non-Bruce approved side exhaust car are comments of awe. By Viper owners, not high school cheerleaders on one of my school zone fly bys.

Oh, and another tidbit while you are ruining the sound of your car... Side exhaust saves about 35 pounds over rear exhaust.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking..easy weight savings and the kool factor...I dont care what anyone says..I always get props on my srt10 side exhaust...It looks kool. My 99rt10 didnt have it...Wish it did. Dont know why in the world they ever went to conventional exhaust for those few years...The viper is an out of this world desighn..From the vented hood to the side exhaust to the race inspired interior...

The gts and rt10 even have the opposit seat belts for crying out loud...side exhaust are just a given on vipers!!!!!!!!!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back on topic I think the OP was interested in the noise factor and does not want loud. My opinion on that is that you will need stock cats stock headers and an equivalent stock muffler to accomplish that. All the other choices such as aftermarket headers and high flow cats and mufflers and so on will raise the sound level incrementally above the OE setup.

I have never had any CEL's because of my conversion. I do use the rear O2's although some do the chickenship route of ziptying them to the wiring harness or simms and so on. I welded in bungs at the turnouts extended the wiring and am all I can be. I do get preheat codes on the front sensors occasionally but that is aftermarket header related not side exhaust conversion related.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This combination by far sounds the best to me! There are several guys in my club that have this setup and it sounds awsome.

I love a deeper rumble sound on a Viper

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Interested in what the car is sitting in.. Looks a good option to work under the car???

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sent you a PM. I have side exhaust on my car when you want see/hear/feel frist hand, let me know.

OP
OP
F

ff273

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks alot folks for the input, you guys have been a great help cause I do not want the car too loud.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala