Gen 2 transmission noises

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 1996 GTS that makes alot of noise in neutral and when coming off and on the clutch. I read the threads on this site and replaced my transmission oil to a different weight as done at the factory. The noise is still ever present and pretty annoying. I've driven Aston Martins and Mustangs with T56s and none have made noises like mine. I am fully aware that t56s chatter a bit in neutral but what recomendations are there to lower the noise coming in and out of gear?

James

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd give one of: ROE Racing, Viper Specialty, DC Performance, or Tators Dodge a call to describe your chatter to determine if it is normal or excessive. Noises are much easier relayed over a phone convo rather than internet text:2tu:

Chatter "coming in and out of gear" dosnt sound normal to me. I assume she shifts fine? How many miles on the trans?

Reaction score
Probably the pilot bearing or input shaft bearing, you would need to pull it out and check the input shaft for play and look at the pilot bearing.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1996 Vipers are particularly noisy and if I remember correctly there was a fluid change and some type of modifier fluid. Been ages , so some other old fart will likely have to chime in to make sure my memory isn't failing.

Mine rattled to beat the band, but never had any problems.

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The noise is due to the transmission gears "freewheeling" in neutral. The "clatter" sound is from the spinning gears' backlash and clearances. Lightening the flywheel amplifies the already present sound on these cars.

I also believe that since the transmission sits basically right beside you in a Viper, rather than down below you in a Mustang or Aston, that it is also going to be a bit more noisy.

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I have a 1996 GTS that makes alot of noise in neutral and when coming off and on the clutch. I read the threads on this site and replaced my transmission oil to a different weight as done at the factory. The noise is still ever present and pretty annoying. I've driven Aston Martins and Mustangs with T56s and none have made noises like mine. I am fully aware that t56s chatter a bit in neutral but what recomendations are there to lower the noise coming in and out of gear?

James

Does the noise change or quiet down when you slowly press in the clutch? If so, then money says it's the throw out bearing.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the noise change or quiet down when you slowly press in the clutch? If so, then money says it's the throw out bearing.

This would have been my guess (and guess is all we can really do from text!:dunno:). Do you or the car's former owner leave the clutch disengaged at stoplights? That practice can wear the throwout bearing and make it noisy in neutral with the clutch engaged.

That said, even with this issue, if you maintain it well it'll probably be a long time before you have any performance-compromising problems.

OP
OP
V

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The car has only 8500 miles on it. The clutch has never been replaced. I am the second owner. The noises (a clunking sound) coming in and out of gear worry me the most. It is most noticable in city driving. Mostly from 1-2 or from 2-1.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

James Taylor

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's a far fetch on this comment.... but the springs on the clutch disc absorb the engine pulses, could be a problem with the springs (but highly unlikely), but it does happen on other applications (i.e. high torque diesels) and if there's too much rotational freeplay due to spring failure and it'll clunk and rattle. Taking MJ's advice to drop the trans will most likely expose the problem.

Good luck,
Mike