Gen 2 Wheel Question

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read several threads and there seems to be some differing opinions, so here is my question... Are Gen 2 wheels clear coated with conventional Urethane clear or are they Powder coated? Seems from other threads there is some differing opinions. OK, once we solve this question, what is the best product to use to polish them (polishing the clearcoat) and then waxing (for protection)? Thanks. :)

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, nobody has replied to my question as of yet. It has to be one of several possible things:

- Nobody really knows? :confused:

- Nobody really cares? :omg:

- Not enough time has gone by? :eater:

- Everyone is too busy shopping at Wal-Mart for socks. :pigsfly:

- Lee00blacksilverGTS has told people not to respond to my posts because of our little private rift. :lmao: (Only kidding Lee)

- Nobody likes a Poser who puts Gen 2 wheels on his Gen 1. :D

- :wrong:

- I'm too damn impatient!!!

Last edited:

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O.K., since I was born not too far from Peoria,(Kewanee, to be exact):D, I'll ask... the 17" or the 18"? I've got both, and I think the "clear coat" is gone on the 18". i.e., I think the 18" are clear coated:dunno:

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O.K., since I was born not too far from Peoria,(Kewanee, to be exact):D, I'll ask... the 17" or the 18"? I've got both, and I think the "clear coat" is gone on the 18". i.e., I think the 18" are clear coated:dunno:

Kewanee, huh... Know Jim Dura or Paul Lippens? Anyway, these are the 17 inch ones.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, don't know 'em. I've still got family in Galva (yeah, I know:smirk:), and get up there once a year to visit. I'll check my service manual and see what it says about the wheel coating when I get home. My car originally came with the 17". If you don't hear from me, shoot me a PM, (that means I forgot:crazy2:).
Chip

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks as always, Dave. :)

A note on maintaining powder coated finishes, if you do encounter one.

Powder is nothing more than a polymer (plastic) that has been cryogenically ground, electrolytically applied to the substrate, and then remelted to a firm polymer (plastic!) on the substrate.

Sooooooooooo, powder coatings can be maintained well using plastic polishes and waxes. Or, just grab the stuff you use on your car.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A note on maintaining powder coated finishes, if you do encounter one.

Powder is nothing more than a polymer (plastic) that has been cryogenically ground, electrolytically applied to the substrate, and then remelted to a firm polymer (plastic!) on the substrate.

Sooooooooooo, powder coatings can be maintained well using plastic polishes and waxes. Or, just grab the stuff you use on your car.

Dammit Jim (I mean Dave), I'm an accountant not a chemist! :lmao: What, did you sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night? :D

(Sorry for the Star Trek reference... I'm a geek).

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 2 18" wheels are polished aluminum with a clear coat. Treat the wheels just like your paint. I wipe them down clean with a wet microfibre cloth and then I apply Zaino.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what cryogenic and electrolyte has to do with powder coating.

The powder coating material is blended, extruded, grinded ,etc and then applied through an electrostatic process.

Electrolyte ( electrolytically) has to do with liquid/molten material and the grinding process is a purely mechanical one that has nothing to do with cryogenic.

Do a search on powder coating process/manufacturing.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what cryogenic and electrolyte has to do with powder coating.

The powder coating material is blended, extruded, grinded ,etc and then applied through an electrostatic process.

Electrolyte ( electrolytically) has to do with liquid/molten material and the grinding process is a purely mechanical one that has nothing to do with cryogenic.

Do a search on powder coating process/manufacturing.

No kidding *******. If you'd read my post you'd notice I did say the powder is electrolytically applied.

Another clue of how stupid you are. The polymer that powder is made from is ground - or grinded as you like to say! :hahaup: - at cryogenic temperatures to make the polymer hard enough to get that fine.

You've just been busted being really stupid, by someone who has no problem calling it as it is.

:eater:

And before I give you the green light to go do your next stupid thing, your flat panel display is made using a chemical that I am the inventor of that electrochemical process. You try to teach me a lesson on electrochemistry and I'll bury you in a barrage of verbage that even your mommy can't pull you from.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will have to give a slight apology back to luc, as I just noticed that when misspelling "electrostatically" it will spell correct to electrolytically, which is a process of electricity, electrodes, and electrolytes. It has nothing to do with powder coating.

Do I still think luc is not as smart as me when it comes to the technical aspects of powder coating? Duh. I've forgotten more about polymer science than most will ever know.

And the electrochemist he seems to be? The last time I saw molten material in a electrolyzer was when one of the cells lost it's feed and the conductivity of the anolyte dropped to the point where the voltage went through the roof causing the cation exchange membrane to break down and the cathode and the anode to start arc welding. Big pile of molten nickel and titanium.

Is that the molten you were talking about luc? Or were you referring to like molten salts?

Sheep, you don't know a damn thing about electrochemistry.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, who should read what he wrote?
So ,let me understand, you ment to write "electrostatically" but did a spelling error and it was corrected to "electrolytically" in your post.
I post a comment stating that powder coating is applied through a electrostatic process and that electrolyte/electrolytically has nothing to do with powder coating and you call me a a stupid ******** (or something to this effect) for saying so.

Sorry, I can't read your mind, only what you write and you post had "electrolytically"
As for "molten", I was refering to electrolyte as a solution or MOLTEN substance that conduct electricity.
You're right I know nothing about electrochemistry,( save for the electrochromic mirror in my trucks/cars) but, I know enough, and certainly more than all other peoples than read your post, to know that electrolytically has nothing to do with the process of applying powder coating.
I appreciate you apology but but, why did you had to qualify it as "slight" ?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate you apology but but, why did you had to qualify it as "slight" ?

Because instead of just pointing out a discrepancy, you completely jump my sheep in what appears to be an attempt to either make me look stupid, or intimidate me.

Bad idea.

So why slight? You really pissed me the shuck off. And my parole officer is on vacation this week, so I can act normally.

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Ok, George, since I came from IL, Decatur, many years ago, hear you go.

I know they are clear coated, why do I know, because I just had to have mine "redone" dont ask why, just something stupid I did. Dont know whats best to clean them with, but will ask my "detailer":dunno:

V

Venomiss

After getting a nice chuckle from previous comments thought I might mention this.

We have a California duster devoted to only the wheels. Label it!
Then we have one for the car only. Helps to "keep it nice" and minimal cleaning up.
As stated before do not use it when hot.
You still have to clean the wheels but this helps a bit.
Had this for our 2000, then 2003, and now our current car.
If you already knew this then pass it on by.:)

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on the year. For the 17 inch. in 1996 they clear coated them. In 1997 and 1998 they did not. You can polish up a set of 1997 and 1998 wheels, but the 1996 wheels, you are stuck with the look they have. I have a set of 1996's on my car and one of my good friend has a set of 1998's. The difference is obvious when you line them up...and I can't shine mine up...you can't polish aluminum through a clearcoat ;)

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave... it'd be cool if you could invent a device to electrostatisillyiggawhilly remove dust and dirt from wheels!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on the year. For the 17 inch. in 1996 they clear coated them. In 1997 and 1998 they did not. You can polish up a set of 1997 and 1998 wheels, but the 1996 wheels, you are stuck with the look they have. I have a set of 1996's on my car and one of my good friend has a set of 1998's. The difference is obvious when you line them up...and I can't shine mine up...you can't polish aluminum through a clearcoat ;)

Beg to differ, but I have a 97 and a 98 and those stock factory wheel are absolutely clearcoated. They switched from cast aluminum (96) to forged, but they still clearcoated them.

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But once you remove the clear coat the world is your oyster. You can polish them, fix up any curb rash and make them look like new. The best thing I did was to remove that clearcoat. Not only can I clean the wheels now but I can repolish anytime they need it. So they are always mint.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4