Gen 3 - Gen 4 hood swap

rvansnick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know there is a thread on here somewhere, but cant find it. Looking to swap out Gen 3 hood for a Gen 4 hood and wondering if anyone can offer some advice. Would you go OEM or aftermarket? Thanks, Rick here in freezing cold Eastern Canada patiently waiting for spring. :thankyou:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put an OEM Gen 4 hood on my Gen 3 car. Fits exactly like the original hood did, perfect. I prefer the quality of the OEM hoods, they seem finished better and fit with more consistent gaps and curves.

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put an OEM Gen 4 hood on my Gen 3 car. Fits exactly like the original hood did, perfect. I prefer the quality of the OEM hoods, they seem finished better and fit with more consistent gaps and curves.

Ditto. Found a Gen4 OEM hood of the right color and it was a 15 minute bolt-on task. Easy.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup I have an OEM hood on my car. Fit is perfect...had to adjust the drivers side fender ever so slightly.

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
where do you guys find these OEM hoods? I search and search and come up with zip. LOL Unless they are new and bought from dealer.

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
where do you guys find these OEM hoods? I search and search and come up with zip. LOL Unless they are new and bought from dealer.

I found mine on eBay; they come up there from time to time. Depends on how much of a rush you're in. Set up a search and have it e-mail you with new items daily...

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did mine as well easy job , only hard part is colour matching , but a Good Shop should have no problem ! :2tu: :)

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lucky me! Just bought an original gen 4 hood from a board member!

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the swap this fall and I like it a lot. I went OEM because a prefer the look. I don't know about the quality difference but the aftermarket ones I've seen are often described as a more aggressive look. I would say the center is a bit higher and the scoop a bit biger. people that have the aftermarket ones seem to like them. They certainly are cheaper and easier to find than the OEM ones.

Either way, you may have to buy the vent grills seperately, and they aren't cheap either.

Canadian Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jay, could you post a couple pictures of the hood from the front and maybe from looking out from inside the car? Do you have any problems with the airbox not sealing?

Any update rvansnick??

Thanks!

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did mine as well easy job , only hard part is colour matching , but a Good Shop should have no problem ! :2tu: :)
If you like the carbon fiber look the Seibon hood is a good choice. Just bolt it on and no painting issues. I have had mine for about 2 years and am very satisfied. I had it delivered to the house for about $1200.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe the grills are that obstructive. I put the grills in because without made the hood look unfinished and cheaper in my opinion.

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man I love that look....want one. Waiting for Vipair to put them on sale.......hopefully....please?

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those factory vents are so pricey. What are the alternatives?