Gen 3 HID Fog Question

03-SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brand New Member here fellas, coming over from the 04 Cobra world, just picked up a low mileage 03 with a few mods, im wondering what temperature of bulb you have used in your fog lights to match the OEM Headlight HID's? To me it looks like something between 4300-6000k....Has anyone done the swap and can verify what they used?

Thanks in advance

Dan

ROYMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fog lights are not HID, so you would have to put in a whole ballast, wiring etc.

A lot of people have gone this route: http://www.vleds.com/bulb/h-series/h10-9145/white-led.html

It seems to be pretty effective. As for the color though, the stock color does not seem to be something that people even want to match.

Personally, I am doing a 6k HID swap for my low beams and throwing in 6k LEDs in the fog lights.

If you really want to do the HID fogs though, the H10s should be the right size regardless... someone correct me if I am wrong.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I believe that H10/9005 is the correct size. Was thinking about moving up to HIDs myself since I use my fogs quite a bit on the highway and wouldn't mind a little extra output. The LEDs are nice, but from what I heard not necessarily very bright, more just a color match (though I welcome people who use them to correct me as that would make for a much easier install). Stock HIDs are usually 4300k, though some might be creeping a little higher up the color scale lately. I put 5000k in one car and have 6000k in another. Hard to tell any difference side by side, but there is just a hint of extra blue in the 6000k setup. I like the look of 5000k myself, the blue craze wore off for me and I like as much useable light as I can get as I'd rather be able to see than just look cool.

OP
OP

03-SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah im thinking 5000k my self, but it looks like the oem headlight hid's have a slight hint of blue in them as well.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I think that can sometimes be the lens itself that changes the color, but it depends on how you look at it. For instance, if I turn my lights on in the garage, I get a slight blue border at the cutoff for the pattern. I noticed the same thing on cars going the other way on the highway. At first they look pretty blue, but when they hit bumps or my angle to them changes the color does some too. I think you might see a slightly different color if you turn them on and look down at them from above than if you were to put your face directly in the light pattern. At least from my experience with projector lenses.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock HIDs are 4300K, a little yellowish. If you put in HID fogs, they will most likely be 5000 or 6000, so if you are really obsessive, you should change the stock HID as well (under$200). I plan on doing that eventually,

I have H10 LED fogs at 5000. Honestly, they are so bright that you can't use them with any oncoming traffic, mainly because the reflector scatters light all over the place and blinds people. I don't turn them on anymore at all, and I was looking into projector fogs to cut down that glare.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I thought about that myself. The stock halogen fogs have dipped bulb tips to keep light from going directly forward, so the pattern is determined by the reflector instead of the bulb itself. Was hoping someone had an HID set that actually used some sort of deflector to simulate this same effect, but no luck so far. An H4 set I got for one of my other cars had a nice little deflector in it to simulate the high/low beam setup of a standard bulb, but I made sure to get a housing that had the little cup inside it to keep the light from the bulb from going straight out. I think the gen 2 for housings have them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21