Gen 3 Roe Blower ready by VOI 10

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Road course + street = autocross ??

A Roe car will DRAG an n/a car around the autocross ;) even with the extra weight.
1Tony, what is your rwhp rating? Great 1/4 mile numbers by the way!:headbang:

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,I thought I would get done with everything early enough tonight to get on here and read through this thread. It's about 11:30 and I'm about to call it a day. I will find time tomorrow to get back on here and reply as needed. It may be in the evening though. Between shop work in the day and getting the house ready to sell, my days are stacked up.Regards,Sean

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean;

How about a teaser pic? Still very interested in how this all looks even if it is pre-production. VOI is close so you must have a system almost all ready to go and shined up!

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As far as the stress and engine life. Please do not mix up combustion, valvetrain dynamics and stress. Stress is the translation of force into mechanical elements. The factors that cause things to fatigue. RPM only increases the frequency for the compression side of it. RPM does increse the inertial side of the equation (tensile direction), which does indeed increse the component stress as it is the delta from max to min that causes fatigue (note the S in an S-N curve is not the peak stress but the stress range from minimum to maximum). And in this case the minimum would be a negative value when, say for example, the rod is in tension, and positive when in compression. And yes, the tension forces may exceed the compression forces. That is why missed shifts resulting in very high revs fail the conn rods. In tension if you analyze the fracture.

Wow, talk about missing the point and splitting hairs. :D We see your definition of stress but maybe the original poster meant another definition of stress. “emphasis in melody, rhythm.” Perhaps he was talking about the Roe having more rhythm. Or maybe he was defining it as “importance or significance attached to a thing; emphasis." As in the Roe emphasizes a car more. :rolaugh:

I think we all know he meant stress as in “the physical pressure, pull, or other force exerted on one thing by another; strain.”

I doubt you are trying to argue that revving to a higher RPM is less taxing on an engine than shifting 500 rpm sooner. And by tax I do not mean the thing do on April 15th. ;)

Last edited:

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's sad that Paxton equipped owners would try to derail this thread by putting down the Roe. The Roe obviously has it's merits or it wouldn't have been so successful in the past.

Sean should be commended for his efforts to provide Gen III Viper owners with another great option for forced induction. Not harassed and badgered by owners of "other" systems. Seems to me that those "other" owners are worried that they'll no longer be the best or fastest Gen III on the block. :nono:

I predict that the Gen III Roe will shine on the track and the street just as the Gen II version has. :headbang:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is puting down the Roe. I do think that most of us think that a detailed discussion of a product and its strengths and weaknesses is part of what this forum is about. A vendor should be willing and able to respond to reasonable questions regarding the performance and reliability of his, her or its product and how that product compares and contrasts with and to a competing product. In this case, the product has been mentioned by Sean now for quite some time and it was mentioned that it would be available by VOIX. That is not far off so detailed questions and the answers to those questions are not only appropriate but absolutely essential if someone is going to be able to make an informed purchasing choice. Buying a first time supercharger kit blind would not be wise.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could see your point more if this were a completely new system. Clearly it's not. The Gen II version was highly successful and held it's own extremely well against the other makes/brands of forced induction available.

Roe S/C for Gen III's is not even new. The Ram SRT-10s have been running them successfully for years now. Has anyone even looked at the Ram SRT-10 boards to see how they are doing?:dunno:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The system described by Sean above is not the same system. From what Sean has posted, it uses a number of different components. If it were the same, it would already be ready. The Gen II version, which I had on my Gen II GTS had issues. Among those issues were: cylinder number 10 constantly ran richer than the other nine cylinders and the spark plug had to be changed more frequently. High flow cats were required for proper operation per Sean and, to say the least, the car was very loud. Painfully loud. The harmonics of the rotors interfered with AM radio reception ( at least on my car and nothing we did solved the problem). I had to change cards depending on weather conditions or I would get pinging. The sytem was installed by Sean himself so the problems were not due to any installer issues. But, even with the problems, it was alot of fun. The new system, from what Sean has posted will not have a VEC or cards. I assume that he either may not have the intake runner problem that he mentioned on the Gen II system or he found a way to solve the problem so that one or more cylinders does not run too rich. Another concern is whether the Gen III drivetrain is as tough as the Gen II drivetrain. One would think so with the 60 HP bump in stock power but I would like to hear GR8 ASP's views on this point. The drivetrains on the 1999 and earlier Gen II's were incredibly strong. I seem to recall that the 2003 diferentials had some issues. The bottom line is that Sean's system for the Gen III Viper is not yet out. We have not seen detailed test results. And GR8 ASP's questions/observations have not been adequately answered or responded to. I hope that Sean soon posts as he promised to do yesterday so that the issues can be addressed and resolved.

Last edited:

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone's experience may vary a little....no matter the system or mods. The GEN II issues you speak of were resolved several years ago with the addition of cylinder trim, restyled intake box, and the VEC III. They are not relevant to the GEN III product, a similar iteration of which has been running in Viper trucks for a while now. To think that Sean was not well aware of these potential trouble spots as he moved forward with this kit does him a disservice.

I'm sure Ron can add to the GEN III drivetrain discussion, but being a Dodge powertrain engineer, he may also be privy to proprietary information which he is not at liberty to divulge

Steve

The system described by Sean above is not the same system. From what Sean has posted, it uses a number of different components. If it were the same, it would already be ready. The Gen II version, which I had on my Gen II GTS had issues. Among those issues were: cylinder number 10 constantly ran richer than the other nine cylinders and the spark plug had to be changed more frequently. High flow cats were required for proper operation per Sean and, to say the least, the car was very loud. Painfully loud. The harmonics of the rotors interfered with AM radio reception ( at least on my car and nothing we did solved the problem). I had to change cards depending on weather conditions or I would get pinging. The sytem was installed by Sean himself so the problems were not due to any installer issues. But, even with the problems, it was alot of fun. The new system, from what Sean has posted will not have a VEC or cards. I assume that he either may not have the intake runner problem that he mentioned on the Gen II system or he found a way to solve the problem so that one or more cylinders does not run too rich. Another concern is whether the Gen III drivetrain is as tough as the Gen II drivetrain. One would think so with the 60 HP bump in stock power but I would like to hear GR8 ASP's views on this point. The drivetrains on the 1999 and earlier Gen II's were incredibly strong. I seem to recall that the 2003 diferentials had some issues. The bottom line is that Sean's system for the Gen III Viper is not yet out. We have not seen detailed test results. And GR8 ASP's questions/observations have not been adequately answered or responded to. I hope that Sean soon posts as he promised to do yesterday so that the issues can be addressed and resolved.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like JID said, it's all about choices. The more the marrier.

I myself can't wait to see the results and some pics.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like JID said, it's all about choices. The more the marrier.

I myself can't wait to see the results and some pics.

Wow Simms, you have the highest rwhp Roe I have seen to date. How is traction from the dig to say 100 mph?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sean isn't building the blower, he's just engineering the best one for the Gen 3 Viper. It's different than the Gen 2 kit (upgraded) and an improvement that the Gen 2 kit would have been.

However, the Paxton is still the same old kit, right? No improvements? It uses the old style sc. I was reading that the Vortec now has an internal oiling system and doesn't need the extra work required to instal oil supply and drainback lines to the supercharger. Apparently the dirty engine oil isn't the best choice for the sc bearings and gears. Not the Paxton, yet.

Ted

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't experienced any of those issues with my Gen II Roe. Must be issues that were addressed before my time, or maybe I just got a good one.:smirk:

According to Seans post on the truck site the difference in the new kit and one that's been running on the trucks for a while now is that the new S/C is 10% more efficient than the old one. I am sure he can chime in with any other differences. Split it any way you like, the fact remains that Sean has been twin screw charging Gen IIIs (trucks) for some time now. My bet is that the reason those weren't sold for the cars was a hood clearance issue, not because there was some issue with it working properly. A Gen III motor is a Gen III motor no matter how you slice it.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was reading that the Vortec now has an internal oiling system and doesn't need the extra work required to instal oil supply and drainback lines to the supercharger. Apparently the dirty engine oil isn't the best choice for the sc bearings and gears

installing the oil lines to and from the s/c are the easiest part of that install. and how dirty does YOUR engine oil get ? mines changed every 2500 miles and i cant imagine too many miles on MOST vipers so how bad could it even hurt it then ?

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Good Lord… eight pages already?
GR8 ASP, yep, sorry about that, I was thinking volumetric efficiency but my fingers were typing adiabatic. Suffice it to say I’ve been pretty busy lately and I *wish* I had a little more time to focus on things outside what I must do right now.
Ok, first, the graph and asking about how I plan to handle the temperature increase shown in that test at Autorotor. That test was running 1.6 bar, or about 8.8 psi. 8 psi is about the magic number where anything above it really could use cooling, be it from an intercooler or water methanol injection. I could go into details about the tests I did, building an intercooled version of the Gen2 kit and testing temperatures, but the bottom line, water cooled it more efficiently, so we went with that for those who wanted to maximize the ignition timing. On the Gen3 kit, and honestly, the way the Gen1 2 kit was built, 5 psi is the target. It was only after people had 5 that they wanted more. 5 does not heat it as much (obviously…lol). One thing I didn’t like about intercoolers, their inherent restriction and having to drive the supercharger harder to overcome it and get the same boost on the cool side.

Ok, on the Gen 3 kit. Take Bob’s comments, factor in anything you ever felt was a negative about the Gen1 2 kit, then address them. That’s what I did going into the Gen3. I really had to take some time to sort things. Unfortunately, it took a while for some technologies to become available so the solution would become what I needed it to be (practical). Four months ago, you couldn’t use a 2 bar MAP sensor on a stock PCM with SCT flash programmer to tune an engine. Now you can. I feel pretty good about how they’ve done on the trucks the last few months. Imagine, no VEC and wiring…. J I also needed a larger displacement low profile Supercharger. That Gen3 engine is really efficient, especially in the mid range. That, along with a small diameter crank pulley required a larger displacement compressor. Well, that’s now available too. Cylinder air equality and making the HP as high as the torque, solved that about 2 years ago and integrated that into the Ram SRT-10 kits. A stock Ram SRT-10 (manual trans) through all stock everything else, including cats, runs 575 RWHP and 575RWTQ at 6psi (straight axle, heavier and taller tires, different gear, so it’s not a direct comparison to a Viper).
The last little hurdle was that close hood to engine clearance. I ran several different designs in the past and am coming back into one of those now for the “low” version that fits under the stock hood. The “tall boy” version will be at VOI with the ’08 hood.
Anyway, I’ve been working on this, on and off, getting a divorce and going through everything else (say, building 300 car and truck superchargers) for about four years. I stopped stressing and worrying about this kit a couple years ago when I saw that it was just going to take time to get the things I wanted to build it right. That’s what I’ve been working on and that’s why it took so long. Sorry, but that’s just the way it went. I probably should have never said “yes, I plan to build one” so I didn’t disappoint anyone with my time frame. However, after making all those Gen1 and 2 kits, everyone just expected it and we all have that “want it now” mentality when it comes to our toys.
So, I’m getting things ready for VOI. I think it will be a good place to have the debut. J

Sorry if this post seemed to jump around a bit. As usual, I’m in a hurry. It’s 8pm and I really need to get out of the shop. 13 hours is enough for today.

Regards,
Sean

PS, At some point I can talk more about why we use a positive displacement SC. It's pretty basic really, you don't have to spin the motor higher RPM to make the power and you certainly don't have to drive around at full throttle beating up on it at low RPM either. I like the low RPM because of the bearing speed these engines have with those 3" mains, no cam bearings, two piece valves, low valve spring pressure, etc. That all just screams "keep me under 5,200 RPM if you want me to live forever".
Oh, last thing, peak HP on the Gen 1 and 2 SC kits, that will go up when I get around to making a replacement manifold on that kit so they have better and even air flow. Will probably integrate an SCT into it too (say bye to the VEC, though it still is good for what it can do). But don't ask me when that will be. I have my hands full right now and we're probably going to move the shop in three months too. I lost the lease on the test track and there's just no reason to have this big building anymore.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the post Sean. Good information. So, the bottom line is that the application at VIOX will not be the final version. What's your rough guesstimate on when the "low" version might be available? Has the low version been tested yet?

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sean great information and thanks for taking the time to post. I have to ask even if it is coming out a year from now. How much more RWHP with the new GenII intake, ballpark?:drive: Also, any plans on putting a larger blower in the GENII?

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the post Sean. Good information. So, the bottom line is that the application at VIOX will not be the final version. What's your rough guesstimate on when the "low" version might be available? Has the low version been tested yet?

That's not exactly what I meant (or said) in regard to versions and I guess I should clarify (you make a good attorney Bob). There are two version, one low, one higher. The higher version is final.

The higher uses the '08 hood, costs less to produce and is a little less time to install. That's what will be debuted at VOI and in production. There are people that already have the ’08 hood or like the ’08 hood and don’t mind getting one (we can sell the hood alone for about $1300). It’s really no different in that regard than someone putting a Twin Screw style Supercharger on a late model Corvette. They have to change the hood also.

The low version is what I built back at the beginning, working to get it under the only hood available at that time (the stock one). We just didn’t have the compressor that I really needed to make it work right. That manifold requires considerable more aluminum and machining time to make. You have to sink the supercharger farther down and move the coil packs (change wires too). That kit will be about $800 more because of what it cost to manufacture.

Frankly, it may be more appealing to most people to put that $800 toward a new hood and have the taller kit. The ’08 hood does look better and does a better job of venting heat out of the engine compartment.

So, here's the bottom line on all this:

Tall Boy kit with '08 hood available at VOI.

Low Boy kit will kind of depend on demand. If people don't really want to wait and like the '08 hood, I might not even spend the time to put that kit into production. If I do put it into production (and I don't mind it), it will be after we've filled some of the orders for the taller version.

Regards,
Sean

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sean great information and thanks for taking the time to post. I have to ask even if it is coming out a year from now. How much more RWHP with the new GenII intake, ballpark?:drive: Also, any plans on putting a larger blower in the GENII?

When the flow is right at the top, the HP is pretty close to equal with the torque, if not a little higher. The flow is a little short on an unmodified Gen2 manifold above 5,200 and shows up as boost creep. With a standard manifold, the torque is about 35-40 RWTQ higher that RWHP. Port it and machine it more and it comes up. The only other thing it needs are some plates mounted to the bottom of the top plate to direct air.

I would like to mention one thing about the debate between a centrifugal and positive displacement Supercharger on a Viper. It will always be difficult to compare the two. Each have their strengths and are almost never equal in regard to boost level.
I bought a Paxton kit and put it on the Ram SRT-10 I used to have so I could learn more about them and see what I was up against. Their stock kit on my stock truck hit 8.3 psi boost at 5,800 RPM. To me, that's too much for that engine. But it did make a nice number on the first cold pull, before the intercooler got hot and the power dropped by 50 HP on a pull one minute later (618 cold, the 565 on the next). When I built the truck kit we make, I made sure that our power output was higher than theirs at least until the point where their boost went much higher. The Gen3 car kit has the same philosophy. People will be comparing ours at 5-6 psi against a a Paxton doing 8+.

Regards,
Sean

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When the flow is right at the top, the HP is pretty close to equal with the torque, if not a little higher. The flow is a little short on an unmodified Gen2 manifold above 5,200 and shows up as boost creep. With a standard manifold, the torque is about 35-40 RWTQ higher that RWHP. Port it and machine it more and it comes up. The only other thing it needs are some plates mounted to the bottom of the top plate to direct air.

Will this be a modification to the stock blower intake and upper plate or will you be making two completely new pieces? I am already excited even though my HP and torque are with 10rw of each other for some odd reason. My car has never produced big torque numbers.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's not exactly what I meant (or said) in regard to versions and I guess I should clarify (you make a good attorney Bob). There are two version, one low, one higher. The higher version is final.

The higher uses the '08 hood, costs less to produce and is a little less time to install. That's what will be debuted at VOI and in production. There are people that already have the ’08 hood or like the ’08 hood and don’t mind getting one (we can sell the hood alone for about $1300). It’s really no different in that regard than someone putting a Twin Screw style Supercharger on a late model Corvette. They have to change the hood also.

The low version is what I built back at the beginning, working to get it under the only hood available at that time (the stock one). We just didn’t have the compressor that I really needed to make it work right. That manifold requires considerable more aluminum and machining time to make. You have to sink the supercharger farther down and move the coil packs (change wires too). That kit will be about $800 more because of what it cost to manufacture.

Frankly, it may be more appealing to most people to put that $800 toward a new hood and have the taller kit. The ’08 hood does look better and does a better job of venting heat out of the engine compartment.

So, here's the bottom line on all this:

Tall Boy kit with '08 hood available at VOI.

Low Boy kit will kind of depend on demand. If people don't really want to wait and like the '08 hood, I might not even spend the time to put that kit into production. If I do put it into production (and I don't mind it), it will be after we've filled some of the orders for the taller version.

Regards,
Sean

Thank's for the clarification. It passes the deposition test. LOL.

Best,

Bob

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man this is getting interesting... Can wait to see the final product! Only a few more weeks.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Will this be a modification to the stock blower intake and upper plate or will you be making two completely new pieces? I am already excited even though my HP and torque are with 10rw of each other for some odd reason. My car has never produced big torque numbers.

It would be better (lower cost) for everyone if I just did the machine work to the existing parts and supplied the new plates. Give me some time though. Even though the economy is slow, I'm still pretty busy each day. I'm actually starting a downsize and shop cleanup right now in preperation for the move we'll make in October. I have way too much stuff and unfortunately, some of it weighs 10,000 lbs (we have two CNC Mills, large lathe, knee mill, etc, etc.).

Regards,
Sean

PS, if someone wants a good old workhorse CNC mill, I have one on Ebay. I picked up a hot rod Mazak machine with all the bells and whistles last year and we don't use this machine much anymore.
Bridgeport VMC 1000 CNC Mill Runs Great G & M Code BT40 - eBay (item 130237783886 end time Jul-17-08 11:04:39 PDT)

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
installing the oil lines to and from the s/c are the easiest part of that install. and how dirty does YOUR engine oil get ? mines changed every 2500 miles and i cant imagine too many miles on MOST vipers so how bad could it even hurt it then ?

Factory recommends; A. 7,500mi. or B. 3,000mi.
oil change and filter. so the oild must get "dirty".

The Vortech has been upgraded to internal oiling that, like the Roe, only needs an oil change every 50,000mi. I'd guess that it doesn't get carbon particlulates in the oil like the engine does. The site said this helps the bearings last longer.

Ted

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 12,000 trouble free miles on my Paxtonized SRTC. There are quite a few Gen IIIs with more than 20,000 miles. I change the oil and filter every 3000 miles. There has been no change in the sound of the supercharger. I would guess that Paxton did some testing on this before releasing the system since it comes with a limited three year warranty and an optionsal three year powertrain warranty is available. Perhaps, Mark, Dan and/or Doug can jump in and comment on this issue.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I didn't mean to imply that they were unreliable.

My friend has 40K or so on his 99 Paxton'd Viper.

But ... since Vortec has an 'upgrade' that doesn't come on the Paxton I'd check out if they have a Viper kit, price, etc. since it seems to be a newer version. I prefer my Roe, I'm just wondering if the Vortec would be a better option for centrifigals?

Ted

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21