Gen I Motor install

SnakeInTheGulf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put in a new motor in a 1993 r/t 10. I ordered a motor from a dealer that is for a gen I. after getting the motor we found minor differences such as different exhaust manifods and o2 sensors. The motor that I ordered was built in 1996 factory. After getting it in and having the exhaust fixed the car won't idle and runs rough. Now then I installed the motor in Colorado and the last time it ran was in texas. So I think the computer is confused. Is there a chance that the computer isn't right for the motor??

OP
OP
S

SnakeInTheGulf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know how hard they are to change? The wierd thing thing is that it starts and run OK not great but it will not idle. would the wrong pcm cause this?

OP
OP
S

SnakeInTheGulf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had a tech look at the car and try to scan it but he says the computer is not communicatting with engine. If this is true how is starting and running? Of course it still won't idle or run well but it does run.

OP
OP
S

SnakeInTheGulf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Wizard called us on a Sunday, and explanned to us what we needed to do, basicaly the air intake and all sensors along with the wiring harness needed to be changed back to the old ones for the computer to run the new crate motor. We got everything switched. The car would not start. We finially pulled a spark plug the first one was totally black so we started to pull them all. To make a long story short 6 of the 10 plugs snapped in half when they were removed, and all ten were black as could be. (the new motor had a total of 12 miles on it) It was late at night so we pulled the plugs from the old motor and it fired right up. It now runs great, Thanks to Chuck Tator!!!
Three local dealers would not help us in anyway, If it wasn't for the wizard my snake would still be sitting there. I can't express how much we appreciate Chucks help. Chuck you are the best!!!
icon14.gif

Thanks again
Larry Carwin
snakeinthegulf:drive: