Gen II Door Alignment

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my 97 GTS with a door alignment issue on the driver side. As is, the door seems to hang just enough to rub the sill when I close the door. It isn't anything serious, the only thing affected by it is the weatherstripping. I took it to the local dealership and had their Viper tech look at it. He attempted to re-align it, but can't get all the rub out due to the risk of the door alliding with the edge of the hood up front. He is suggesting I take it to a body shop to have them look at it.

Question is, is the hood able to be adjusted at all to fix this? I looked and am thinking no, but not sure. Also, is it possible that the door hinge needs to be replaced to fix the problem? Again, I am thinking no, but not sure.

Thanks in advance.

Jason
Chesapeake, VA
97 B/W GTS
91 Yellow Corvette ZR1

viperstoo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get it adjusted before it ruins the weatherstrip. DC list price for that is $375.00.

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much of a gap is there currently between the leading edge of the door and the hood? Even a minute shift in the position of the door > 1/8" might cure your rubbing.

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found another article on here using the search that explained how to align the door using a towel to hold the door up off the sill while you adjust it. My passenger door was sagging enough to scrape against the sill and was starting to scuff the paint. I followed the instructions and got it on the first try, then buffed off the scuffs. You guys have saved me a bundle so far, I'm sure the dealer or bodyshop would have charged a couple hours of labor and I got the job done in less that half an hour.

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How much of a gap is there currently between the leading edge of the door and the hood? Even a minute shift in the position of the door > 1/8" might cure your rubbing.

Not much, maybe an 1/8th, but it is about the same as the other side now since it has been adjusted, now at least the door and hood don't rub like before. I think I will have a go at it myself now, since I've already forked out $160 and the problem was only 50% fixed. I don't feel like paying out more cash for a half fix job.

Time to read some more and get to it. Thanks, and say a prayer for me ;)