Gen. III heads/intake onto Gen. II block?

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Will Gen. III heads and intake mount directly onto a Gen. II block? Is there any fitment issues?

Do Gen. III heads and intake flow better than Gen. II heads and intake in stock form?

Look forward to hearing some input. :drive:
Jason

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will Gen. III heads and intake mount directly onto a Gen. II block? Is there any fitment issues?

Do Gen. III heads and intake flow better than Gen. II heads and intake in stock form?

Look forward to hearing some input. :drive:
Jason

They will bolt up. Gen3 heads do not have mounting points for the power steering or a place for the temp sensor.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They will bolt up. Gen3 heads do not have mounting points for the power steering or a place for the temp sensor.

BTW - the header bolts mount differently on the gen3's also. forgot to mention that. they are flipped... such that the pattern on the gen2's is up / down / up / down... and the gen3's is down/up/down/up...

details.

JD

Reaction score
The Gen 3 heads are much better flowing than the Gen 2's. In stock form the Gen 3 intake ports are 35 cfm better than a Gen 2. The easiest way to get them onto a Gen 2 car would be to make a set of custom 3/8" adapter plates for the exhaust so the Gen 2 headers will bolt up.

You'll have to weld some round aluminum extensions to the front end of the driver's side head so the power steering pump will bolt on. Tony has a jig for this (actually it is sitting in my shop), and as Tony noted, drill and tap for the temp sensor.

I'd probably stay with the Gen 2 manifold though. The runner length is better suited for heads/cam applications.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW - the header bolts mount differently on the gen3's also. forgot to mention that. they are flipped... such that the pattern on the gen2's is up / down / up / down... and the gen3's is down/up/down/up...

details.

JD

Yep....I forgot that one. Five flanges out of the ten are 180' reversed.

Greg....I forgot about that jig :) Why must I always do stuff the hard way :crazy2:

Anyway Jason....Greg can make this work.....but will he want to again is the question ?? :lmao:

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Gen 3 heads are much better flowing than the Gen 2's. In stock form the Gen 3 intake ports are 35 cfm better than a Gen 2. The easiest way to get them onto a Gen 2 car would be to make a set of custom 3/8" adapter plates for the exhaust so the Gen 2 headers will bolt up.

You'll have to weld some round aluminum extensions to the front end of the driver's side head so the power steering pump will bolt on. Tony has a jig for this (actually it is sitting in my shop), and as Tony noted, drill and tap for the temp sensor.

I'd probably stay with the Gen 2 manifold though. The runner length is better suited for heads/cam applications.

AH HA!! I knew that there was someone who could explain the advantage/disadvantage of Gen. III heads.

So I assume that I Gen. III heads are ported, they will flow appx. 35 cfm more than a Gen. II head...is this correct?

I'm still trying to decide wether or not I should stick with an NA engine or move up to a SC/TT application.

Greg, I'll be calling you to discuss more. Thanks for all your assistance and knowledge! :2tu:

Cheers
Jason

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep....I forgot that one. Five flanges out of the ten are 180' reversed.

Greg....I forgot about that jig :) Why must I always do stuff the hard way :crazy2:

Anyway Jason....Greg can make this work.....but will he want to again is the question ?? :lmao:

Hey Tony,

Sounds like you have Gen. III heads on your Venom 500. Is this correct? Do you recommend it?

Cheers
Jason

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine