Gen III vs. Gen IV

thehouseofpower

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was curious on how owners of the gen IV (who also owned a gen III) viper feels it compares to the gen III. Obviously, there is 90 more hp in the new viper, but I was curious on the overall driving experience. I have a 05 with 1,800 miles on it, and might be moving so probably won’t have much time to drive it this season anyways. So I am considering selling my viper and ordering a new one next year. I was just looking for feedback from owners before I make a decision.

Need1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Feels and sounds like a different car. Seems to idle a bit quieter, but that might be because it only has 250 miles on it, lol.. You can definitly feel that 90 extra HP, shifts smoother.. Just an overall better driving experience, like every new Gen since 1992 :) Best performing Viper yet, lol

OP
OP
T

thehouseofpower

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was curouis about that. I know the driving experience overall between a gen II and gen III is like night and day. I was not sure if that was the case here as well. Sounds like it would be a good tiem to upgrade. Did you keep your gen III?

Need1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was curouis about that. I know the driving experience overall between a gen II and gen III is like night and day. I was not sure if that was the case here as well. Sounds like it would be a good tiem to upgrade. Did you keep your gen III?
Yes we still have the '05

I'm not sure if the difference is as significant as Gen II to Gen III as I don't have any real time behind the wheel of a Gen I or II :dunno:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Feels and sounds like a different car. Seems to idle a bit quieter, but that might be because it only has 250 miles on it, lol.. You can definitly feel that 90 extra HP, shifts smoother.. Just an overall better driving experience, like every new Gen since 1992 :) Best performing Viper yet, lol

I can't argue with the overall performance, but "better driving experience" goes to personal choice. I'm making the move, but I not so certain that my to be delivered Gen 4 will be a better driving experience (based on my experience driving in a GEN 3). It will likely be "smoother" but I'm not certain that's what a Viper's all about. As I mentioned, this goes to personal preference and I'll bet there are many of us that will miss the "beastliness" of GEN 1's and 2's. "Like every new Viper yet".....they've all moved further and further away from what may have been the ultimate Viper. JMO.

Need1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't argue with the overall performance, but "better driving experience" goes to personal choice. I'm making the move, but I not so certain that my to be delivered Gen 4 will be a better driving experience (based on my experience driving in a GEN 3). It will likely be "smoother" but I'm not certain that's what a Viper's all about. As I mentioned, this goes to personal preference and I'll bet there are many of us that will miss the "beastliness" of GEN 1's and 2's. "Like every new Viper yet".....they've all moved further and further away from what may have been the ultimate Viper. JMO.

Good points, I can't disagree :2tu:

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had an 06 now have an 08, both convertibles. While the power boost is noticeable and the engine feels smoother (steady torque all the way to redline which is now higher) frankly the biggest change I have felt is to the suspension/handling ride quality. Whether this is due solely to the new PS2s with suspension recalibrations or not, the car handles much better at normal driving speeds and is easier to predict/handle at more aggressive speeds and wide open throttle. Shifter feels a little smoother too.

/Rich

Need1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You said it much better than I did, but that is exactly right.

Had an 06 now have an 08, both convertibles. While the power boost is noticeable and the engine feels smoother (steady torque all the way to redline which is now higher) frankly the biggest change I have felt is to the suspension/handling ride quality. Whether this is due solely to the new PS2s with suspension recalibrations or not, the car handles much better at normal driving speeds and is easier to predict/handle at more aggressive speeds and wide open throttle. Shifter feels a little smoother too.

/Rich

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you are noticing is the change from the heavy runflats. I did it on my gen3 and the handling characteristics and ride greatly improved.

/Rich

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I am seeing/reading, it seems the Gen 4 responds better to mods like headers and exhaust than the Gen 3. You can get pretty close to 700 hp by just improving exhaust side breathing. I dont have a Gen 4. But if I could get one and it made sense for me, I would get one in a heart beat. It is an overall better car and buying the Gen 4 keeps the Viper line strong.

I do, however, like the roar I feel throughout the cabin of my Gen 3 w/ my Belangers. My Gen 3 buddies that have ridden in my car say that roar feeling is addictive, and I agree!:2tu:

OP
OP
T

thehouseofpower

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was considering upgrading the exhaust on my gen III, but the more pics I was seeing I started to like the gen iv more and more. Origionally, I was not too keen on the hood, but it started to grow on me. I figured before I started upgrades opn my viper right now, better decide if I am going to keep it or sell it. Might be moving also, so figure one less thing to move then buy a new viper when I am all settled in :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang