Gen IV Seats into a Gen II - Pistures

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was able to temporarily mount the Gen IV seats in the the GEN II. I probably won't finish this for a month, I just wanted to see if it would fit. Here are some observations:

1. The GEN IV seat is superior in all ways.

2. The seat will fit with minor modifications. You can retain the oem slide and physically it works fine for me, I am 6' and 200 lbs.

3. The factory Gen IV adjusting slide/track does not have to be removed.

4. The factory mounting hardware on the slide is welded and and bolted to the slide, it has to be removed for dimensional reasons. This can be seen in one of the pictures below.

5. The seat will drop by 1" in the back when the rear fabrications are removed.

6. I am using 1/4" X 1" steel bar to form the brackets. The new brackets do not have to welded back to the rack, they can be bolted. The new brackets themselves will probably contain a simple weld.

When I finish the install I will post a drawing of the brackets so they can be used by anyone doing the same conversion.

Seats.JPG

Gen4-Seat.JPG

Gen4-Seat-2.JPG

The right rear floor stud, this also shows the fabrications that has to be removed from the slide.

RR_Seat_Bolt.JPG

Last edited:

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Won't it become more difficult to get in and out of the car? I thought I seen a write up on this when I had my GTS.

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the Gen 4 seats basically the same dimensions as the Gen 3 Jack? I had Gen 3's in my car when I bought it, they were way to big in my opinion. I am 6'1, 210 pounds and I felt like a sardine. Went back to the Gen 2 seats.

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the Gen 4 seats basically the same dimensions as the Gen 3 Jack? I had Gen 3's in my car when I bought it, they were way to big in my opinion. I am 6'1, 210 pounds and I felt like a sardine. Went back to the Gen 2 seats.

I do not know if Gen3 seats are the same as Gen4. Take a look at the first picture, I do not see any diff in the width between the Gen2 and Gen4. They are taller and the bolsters are deeper. I believe when I remove the existing end brackets on the track that there will be minimal differences in fit. Most noticeable is the way they hold you in place. As a general note, in my opinion anyone that is large in nature will have a fitment problem with the Gen4 seat, whether it is in a Gen2 body or Gen4 body.

I will know better when they are mounted/lowered if they change the access at all. The bolsters are deeper, but, they are flexible, so that should not be a hidnerance. When the brackets are removed the back will drop 1" and the front will drop approximately 1-1/2". The next step is to cut the welds on the brackets and make that adapters. The adapters will be simple.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack I'm glad you got it figured out and made it work for you.

With my experience without making brackets and actually bolting the seats into the car, I sold the seats because I was way to cramped in the car and I'm only 5'9". My main issue I had with the seats was the side bolsters begin a lot bigger because there was no comfortable spot for me to rest my arm on the console. By the time I put on the seatbelt there was no way I was going forward with the project.

However since I am shorter, I did have the seat moved forward and the pedals as close as I could get them, so that would make my arm closer to the shifter. I hope you like the seats because the overall style and comfort is a lot better than the Gen 2. Best of luck!

dyc1077

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interested in doing this same mod. The seats are one of the things I want changed out in my gts. Where did you get that carbon fiber transmission tunnel cover?

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The console was from "Disturbed", he posts on this site. He did a nice job.

dyc1077

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any progress on the brackets? Will you still be able to adjust the recline? My other question is access to the seat belt . I wonder how access to the seat belt release button will be.

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See my new post on the final install. I have 5 pt seat belts, so I do not know about the oem belts. You can get to the recline lever, not easy, but, you can use it. It is all about how you position the seat. You have to get the height and the left/right correct. I mounted it in a couple different positions before I got it right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96