Gen IV used values

Zpac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was hoping to formulate a general idea of what an appropriate purchase price for a 2008-2010 Gen IV Viper would be. Almost every low mileage example of these model years that I've seen (both coupe and convertible) has been listed for around $67,000, does this seem too high? Both KBB and Edmunds suggest a price in the mid $50,000 range is acceptable, but I don't place much merit in those estimates, which seem to be too far the other way. Anyway, if anyone has a solid idea of what an appropriate value is, I'd really appreciate your input, thank you!

TheOldViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Using your numbers, how about 3rd-ing the spread.
2008 - 50,000 to 55,600
2009 - 55,600 to 61,200
2010 - 61,200 to 66,800

But it all amounts to the old Theory vs. reality.
In theory, if you spend crazy hours researching prices, options, high/low, yada, yada, yada, you can get a "good deal", on a car that was not everything you wanted.
In reality, if you seek out the car you want, with the color and options you want, then offer 10% off of the asking price, and buy at that price,
you have been successful in your pursuit of happiness.
If you think others will balk at the price you paid for happiness, just lie, like they do, and tell them you paid 25% less than actual. LOL

Last edited:

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The simple truth is they're worth whatever you want to pay for them.

I made a spreadsheet of every Viper for sale I could find in the US in my rough price range on the normal sites (Cars.com, AutoTrader, eBay, Craigslist, etc) with all the pertinent info like year, color, miles, VIN numbers, mods, and any other notes (like salvage titles). Started narrowing it down based on what I liked and didn't. Some were pushing my budget too far, some were just too far away and shipping/driving them home would make them more expensive, some had accidents/looked rough, etc. Had it down to about three after all that, which is when I started making calls. All three were good options and it was tough, but settled on what I got because it had some mods that I liked and would save me money from having to buy them new.

Also, if you're anything like me, whatever you get you'll enjoy. They'll all awesome cars and tons of fun. Mine has grown on me to the point that it's my favorite Viper. I like the color more than others, I like the sound more than others, I like the stance more than others, and more. I don't care that it has less hp or is "just a gen 3". I'd love an ACR just for the outrageousness of it, but I don't think I could give up my first Viper for one.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The general "idea" of used values is what they are currently being listed and sold for. Autotrader, Cars.com, Ebay, should give you a general idea. KBB and Edmunds values are based on standard depreciation which is not a true indication of the value - especially for this type of car. The current market (demand vs. supply) dictates the value and the only way to determine that is to research the listing sites (for retail values).

OP
OP
Z

Zpac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your contributions! Though I thought prices in the mid $60,000 range were high for a 2008 with relatively low mileage, if that's what they're consistently listing for then I guess that reflects the current market.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Sports cars usually tend to exhibit and pretty good ebb and flow of pricing with the weather too. With spring just around the corner prices are going up. The new generation coming out probably helps people too as it can get the name out and get people thinking about Vipers again. They might want a new one but can't afford it so they look for older ones. Also, many current owners may be looking to move up to the latest gen and are selling off their current toy.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that is some sage wisdom my man!

Using your numbers, how about 3rd-ing the spread.
2008 - 50,000 to 55,600
2009 - 55,600 to 61,200
2010 - 61,200 to 66,800

But it all amounts to the old Theory vs. reality.
In theory, if you spend crazy hours researching prices, options, high/low, yada, yada, yada, you can get a "good deal", on a car that was not everything you wanted.
In reality, if you seek out the car you want, with the color and options you want, then offer 10% off of the asking price, and buy at that price,
you have been successful in your pursuit of happiness.
If you think others will balk at the price you paid for happiness, just lie, like they do, and tell them you paid 25% less than actual. LOL

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that tuning is more available for the Gen IV cars, the prices seem to be creeping up. The idea that you can now add super chargers, turbos, NOS, as well as simple bolt-ons to bring the car more into Supercar territory makes them a great platform for modding.

While many feel the stock 600 hp is plenty, they still like the idea of being able to mod them in the future if they want to.

Will be interesting to see what happens to the prices of these cars, once the tuners begin turning out monsters.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Though I thought prices in the mid $60,000 range were high for a 2008 with relatively low mileage, if that's what they're consistently listing for then I guess that reflects the current market.

X2. Back in April 2009 I purchased my 2nd Brand New 2008 Viper Coupe for 69K(MSRP of almost 91K). So I have an extremely difficult time justifying current Gen4 prices.

Right now, I'd be willing to do High 50's for the right low mileage Gen4. (< 5,000 miles give or take )

I bought my 1st Brand New 2008 Viper Coupe for an even better deal!!(Then my Dealer totaled it....:( )

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

Zpac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aww man that's awful to hear about your '08, but I sure have to applaud your negotiation skills, that's extremely impressive!

apeas2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering selling my perfect stock 08 red vert. 5k miles. New tires (0 miles) and 5 years left on factory warranty. Xpel clear bra. Stored in my Maryland heated garage up high on my 4 post lift. Serious offers only before I put it for sale online. Thanks. Alan
240 498 6801.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave