Gen V Autoweek

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldn't have said it better. He has to pick on the previous generations to build up his odd looking Gen V that he signed off on. Nice!

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You current owners are really a weird group. You are a bunch of ********* guys but act like democrats with taking Ralph's words out of context. Ralph is not a new CEO that does not know where the Viper came from, give me a break.
The simple truth even if you guys cannot take it is that the Viper had an unworthy interior and track abilities (regular models) compared to its competition.
Ralph has morphed the new Viper with a different skin and a better backbone. That is what most enthusiasts would wish for.
Ralph did not forget where he came from as he came out with a base SRT very close to the price of the former Gens.
I have not met Ralph yet but I hope to do that soon and congratulate him on a job well done. I will also tell him to forget about the whining of some members because it is just noise in the whole scheme of things.
Sales numbers will be the judge whether he did a good job on not.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You current owners are really a weird group. You are a bunch of ********* guys but act like democrats with taking Ralph's words out of context. Ralph is not a new CEO that does not know where the Viper came from, give me a break.
The simple truth even if you guys cannot take it is that the Viper had an unworthy interior and track abilities (regular models) compared to its competition.
Ralph has morphed the new Viper with a different skin and a better backbone. That is what most enthusiasts would wish for.
Ralph did not forget where he came from as he came out with a base SRT very close to the price of the former Gens.
I have not met Ralph yet but I hope to do that soon and congratulate him on a job well done. I will also tell him to forget about the whining of some members because it is just noise in the whole scheme of things.

And like this is a smart comment? unworthy interior and track abilities ...

How many vipers have you tracked? How many competitors have you tracked? What are you talking about? I'm not a basher, but dude, really, think about it. I've tracked gen2, gen3, gen4 over the past 13 years and I can say the "competitors" look awesome out there, I get a real good look as I drive around them and get a glance in my rearview. And trust me, it's the car not the driver.

I've spent more than an hour with Ralph, more than 300 of us got time with him just the other week, I chased him around the autoX for an hour. Yes, it's true CEO's aren't all a-holes, I'm a 3 time CEO and I'd like to think I'm not an a-hole, he's one that's not as well, totally a car guy & he get's it. I don't think anyone is bashing him or whining, and believe me after our reception to him at VOI I don't think he needs your kind words, he knows what we who have been buying his products for years think and it's all good. But this is a forum and ranting & venting is one of those things that happens. But when you post previous gen vipers are "unworthy" track wise and in interior, you just show you're not tracking them or owning them or really making sense. I'd take the gen3/4 interior over the Corvette's Impala like interior anyday. Turbo Porsche, had that for 9 mos, blech. Double the cost of a viper and you have something to compare it to ... but that is at twice the price. Not trying to come across bashing, just 2 cents on the unworthiness of some of the fastest best handling cars in the world.

And just because I'm in for a gen5, doesn't mean I'll think less of a gen3/4, these cars are amazing & will be for years and years regardless of new models.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats. Another smart comment that will advance the discussion.

This really makes me want to buy a Viper and become a member of the forum. :bonker:

Aww....feelings hurt? That's what Prius forums are for.
You're not going to tell Ralph about this are you?

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great vid, I just want the car more and more :) Now I'm noticing some differences..

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dman: keep drinking your coolaid if you think the gen IV was up to par with the competition. You are right, I know nothing and bow to your track prowess and your CEO experience. Not everything resolves around raw straight line performance. I believe I am in the majority with that belief as most car publications have proved over the last 10 years.
All I will share is that I have owned M cars, Audi RSs, AMG, and Pcars and the Viper is not a contender when it comes to the overall package. A standard 911S will outperform a standard Viper on most tracks let alone a Nissan GTR. Once you are off the track, the daily livability of the Viper is simply horrible (A/C does not work, seats are not supportive, heat issues, rattle box, regulator issues just to name the major ones).
I rarely track my cars but I do not think this makes me less of a potential customer. My next car will either be an AMV12, Jag F-RS, C63BS, R8 or Viper. The reason why I am sharing this is to show you what I am comparing the snake to. It will be a daily driver and the comfort features as well as the quality ranks high on my list.
I know most of you are biased and I am not here to win any argument on that matter.
I would still like to get involved and meet Ralph to understand more of the history.

Last edited:

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the viper a rattle box, really?

Why yes it is, but that's why the exhaust is loud so you don't notice it and the non-working AC. And remember to only go in a straight line, even though it's the 'ring record holder. Some people read too many car mags & believe. lol

Got a lil off the topic, sorry, didn't mean to commence a pi$$ing contest, johnsons back in our pants now. Carry on, as you were.

Yes the new interior is even better in person than in the pics, the fine leather smell, the feel of it, truly exotic quality, and the wheel has a crazy awesome feel to it, Ralph doesn't exagerate, when he says they bought every exotic wheel on the market to test, I believe him.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting thread here. I see the point some are making about what Ralph said about the GEN IV's but I don't think it was malicious in intent. He was merely trying to compare the two generations thats all and show how the new car is leaps and bounds over the outgoing car. Don't forget guys....Ralph own's a GEN IV. As far as other cars being better then the GEN IV...this I don't agree with. On the track...nothing can touch a GEN IV ACR. Look at who own's The Ring record. :D For a car that is NATURALLY ASPIRATED, NO TRACTION CONTROL, NO ESC...nothing can touch it. We all know the Viper hasn't been the best when it comes to creature comforts, fit and finish, road noise etc. These issues appear to be fixed on the new car and it seems Viper has a bright future ahead of itself.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dman: keep drinking your coolaid if you think the gen IV was up to par with the competition. You are right, I know nothing and bow to your track prowess and your CEO experience. Not everything resolves around raw straight line performance. I believe I am in the majority with that belief as most car publications have proved over the last 10 years.
All I will share is that I have owned M cars, Audi RSs, AMG, and Pcars and the Viper is not a contender when it comes to the overall package. A standard 911S will outperform a standard Viper on most tracks let alone a Nissan GTR. Once you are off the track, the daily livability of the Viper is simply horrible (A/C does not work, seats are not supportive, heat issues, rattle box, regulator issues just to name the major ones).
I rarely track my cars but I do not think this makes me less of a potential customer. My next car will either be an AMV12, Jag F-RS, C63BS, R8 or Viper. The reason why I am sharing this is to show you what I am comparing the snake to. It will be a daily driver and the comfort features as well as the quality ranks high on my list.
I know most of you are biased and I am not here to win any argument on that matter.
I would still like to get involved and meet Ralph to understand more of the history.

Have you ever heard of the Nurenburg Ring .... you might want to look it up. I can't seem to find any of the cars you've listed with a faster time, am I not looking in the right the place?

Ooops, looks like my post was a little late arriving :)

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://youtu.be/KOSqENCK7ds

Okay tight as a drum it is. Thanks

Why yes it is, but that's why the exhaust is loud

Yes the new interior is even better in person than in the pics, the fine leather smell, the feel of it, truly exotic quality, and the wheel has a crazy awesome feel to it, Ralph doesn't exagerate, when he says they bought every exotic wheel on the market to test, I believe him.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting thread here. I see the point some are making about what Ralph said about the GEN IV's but I don't think it was malicious in intent. He was merely trying to compare the two generations thats all and show how the new car is leaps and bounds over the outgoing car. Don't forget guys....Ralph own's a GEN IV. As far as other cars being better then the GEN IV...this I don't agree with. On the track...nothing can touch a GEN IV ACR. Look at who own's The Ring record. :D For a car that is NATURALLY ASPIRATED, NO TRACTION CONTROL, NO ESC...nothing can touch it. We all know the Viper hasn't been the best when it comes to creature comforts, fit and finish, road noise etc. These issues appear to be fixed on the new car and it seems Viper has a bright future ahead of itself.

You don't market the new car by denigrating the old car (and it's owners by extension).
It's incredibly disrespectful and this is precisely how they are trying to market it.
I'm a four time Viper owner and there won't be a fifth.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can only speak to personal experience, but in 4yrs of tracking a conv gen3, never been passed by a 911S or a GTR and trust me, those are the most common cars at the tracks around here. They will be the first to come up and chat as their thoughts beforehand were Vipers could only go straight. They don't keep up in the turns I also don't think it is all driver. So, a gen4 will be faster and ACR even faster if factory stock and same driver. All will be faster at a track than a stock 911S and GTR.

As for total quality of interior, etc, sure you point is correct and thus why I am excited about the GenV

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't market the new car by denigrating the old car (and it's owners by extension).
It's incredibly disrespectful and this is precisely how they are trying to market it.
I'm a four time Viper owner and there won't be a fifth.

So I went back and watched the video again to see if I missed something here. I don't think so. i don't understand how you make the jump to Ralph is denigrating current Viper owners with what he said. Two direct quotes from the video strike me and they don't at all sound like they are bashing the GEN IV.

Graham: Just before the two minute mark. "The old Viper was a great super car but it lacked a modern interior and really one that had the best materials."

Ralph: Just around 4:35 "The old car FEELS a little more soft and flaccid. A little more of a handful to drive."

Nothing here to me seems out of line. If this is gonna cause you to not get another viper then thats your prerogative. I am a three time viper owner and am really triyng to figure out how to put the forth one in my garage.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not talking about that particular video.
The whole selling campaign is geared towards comparing the greatness of the new model with the cheap poorly built old generations.
Which is great if your not an owner who spent 100K on one of the crappy old models.
Which were not so crappy two years ago, at least according to Ralph when they were being pushed.

By the way, he doesn't own a Gen 4 anymore.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Graham: Just before the two minute mark. "The old Viper was a great super car but it lacked a modern interior and really one that had the best materials."

Ralph: Just around 4:35 "The old car FEELS a little more soft and flaccid. A little more of a handful to drive."

I'd agree with the 1st one and Ralph's last comment, the soft reference sounds weird since the cars are so 'hard' really, but the new gen is quite a bit more rigid and that's probably where he's coming from, so it makes sense. I think they're at a point where they are fixated on comparing to the previous gens, once perf testing really gets going it'll comparo's with industry rivals.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks to me like the GTS almost crashed into the rail doing a burnout! Yikes!!! Not what i expected to see! TC must have been off ...

AJ usmc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
another rager! emericr hush... you want history on the viper? these guys drive it, enjoy it, and are a part of it. ask any of em... and raw straight line performance? that sounds like a line strait from "car and driver"... last i checked, the ring realy only has one strait line that counts for maybe 20%? then how is this "strait line only" beast in 4th place when the other 2 are race cars squeazed into dot laws? 1st & 2nd are held by sr8's and 3rd held by gumpert apollo. tell me how a supercar costing 3 times more has less then a sec lead? and all the other "competitors" are below the viper? todays viper is like the nsx in quality when it came out, a daytona in nascar in 1970s, or a ac cobra. infact the 94 viper was a modern interpretation of the ac cobra. i wish there was something lower then enthusiest for you.

to me the genV looks like a gen2 placed in an endless pool for a few secs then refinished which is kinda cool. the upgraded interior is just a bonus with the essence of an american roadster. but i can hardly see how a 4th place ring holder is soft and flacid. i would much rather hear the genV is an upgraded or updated viper rather then bashing.
(edit: oh never mind, but he shouldve choose differnt wording then soft and flacid, but the campained bashing i dont agree with... sapphirebob have you thought of a parking lift?)

Last edited:

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a relative newcomer to the world of Viper (First Viper: 08 Gen IV). When I read some of the negative stuff on our VCA forum I just shake my head sometimes. How is it that a minor little comment by Mr. Ralph G. can get some Viper owners all spun up? I'm just happy that we are getting a new Gen V Viper. What they are offering us is a better, stronger Viper, which if you got to ride in blindfolded, you would still be able to tell that “It’s a Viper!”

Looking at the bigger picture, think of the effort that Ralph and his SRT Team have put in, to get this car to market so soon after the bankruptcy. I think the accountants at HQ could argue that Chrysler has no business putting so much effort into a vehicle that fills such a small nitch in the automotive market, especially in our current economy. We are fortunate to have such a passionate group of folks at SRT that I suspect took some risks to keep the Viper alive.

Also, we VCA members have unbelievable access to the SRT Team. I don’t think there is another vehicle brand that puts the whole vehicle team out there with the customers. I fear if we don’t treat them with due respect, they will just tune us out and we will lose the unprecedented customer to manufacturer relationship that we have.

At VOI, I was able to see and appreciate lots of older generation Vipers. I think there are unique things to love about every generation, and pitting one against another is pointless. I got to meet a young guy at VOI with a beautiful Gen 1 and we both admired each others car. Of course, each generation Viper is going to be better in lots of ways than the prior one. If not, why would anyone aspire to get a new one? My wife and I both got to drive the Gen V SRT and GTS at VOI and we both loved them. Let’s count our blessings and stop the griping.

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You are so right! Ralph has wussified the Viper with all those great creature comforts he added and that great feminine looking front end. We shall see if this thing sells.

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please read my post again. I am talking about a regular viper not an ACR. Since you mentioned the ring, let's talk about it
A regular Viper was tested at 7:59 by Motor trend and that was the last time they brought a regular one. The others are ACR models at 7:22 and 7:12. Most of the Vipers sold out there are regular ones not ACRs. To give you a reference, a 997 911S does it in 7:50 and a 911Turbo from 12 years ago does it in 7:56, four door sedans have same or better times than a regular Viper Viper on the ring (Panamera: 7:56, Cadillac CTS-V: 7:59, even a 30,000 Subaru STI beats it at 7:55).
From personal experience, last time at a PCA meeting in Sebring, we ran a 2:31 with a 20 year 911 (gutted, engine rebuilt, cup tires and suspension upgrades). Please share with me VIPER times? This is not a loaded questions. I am interested in knowing what a regular VIPER runs. Just as straight line performance, in Miami at the mile run, I ran a 168mph in my four door C63 and that was same or better than any regular Vipers that were there. The ones that were superior had major upgrades like turbos and were making at least 700hp or more.

another rager! emericr hush... you want history on the viper? these guys drive it, enjoy it, and are a part of it. ask any of em... and raw straight line performance? that sounds like a line strait from "car and driver"... last i checked, the ring realy only has one strait line that counts for maybe 20%? then how is this "strait line only" beast in 4th place when the other 2 are race cars squeazed into dot laws? 1st & 2nd are held by sr8's and 3rd held by gumpert apollo. tell me how a supercar costing 3 times more has less then a sec lead? and all the other "competitors" are below the viper? todays viper is like the nsx in quality when it came out, a daytona in nascar in 1970s, or a ac cobra. infact the 94 viper was a modern interpretation of the ac cobra. i wish there was something lower then enthusiest for you.

to me the genV looks like a gen2 placed in an endless pool for a few secs then refinished which is kinda cool. the upgraded interior is just a bonus with the essence of an american roadster. but i can hardly see how a 4th place ring holder is soft and flacid. i would much rather hear the genV is an upgraded or updated viper rather then bashing.
(edit: oh never mind, but he shouldve choose differnt wording then soft and flacid, but the campained bashing i dont agree with... sapphirebob have you thought of a parking lift?)

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some will not like it, some other (I am this group) loves it. However, what I am trying to discuss here is more tangible: quality and track abilities. I will give Kudos where it's due with the ACR, it is a beast but I was not referring to that model.

You are so right! Ralph has wussified the Viper with all those great creature comforts he added and that great feminine looking front end. We shall see if this thing sells.

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could not agree more. The current owners are blessed to have the ability to give feedback to the manufacturer at that level. Is being an owner of a viper or VCA membership all it takes or do you need other memberships?

I am a relative newcomer to the world of Viper (First Viper: 08 Gen IV). When I read some of the negative stuff on our VCA forum I just shake my head sometimes. How is it that a minor little comment by Mr. Ralph G. can get some Viper owners all spun up? I'm just happy that we are getting a new Gen V Viper. What they are offering us is a better, stronger Viper, which if you got to ride in blindfolded, you would still be able to tell that “It’s a Viper!”

Looking at the bigger picture, think of the effort that Ralph and his SRT Team have put in, to get this car to market so soon after the bankruptcy. I think the accountants at HQ could argue that Chrysler has no business putting so much effort into a vehicle that fills such a small nitch in the automotive market, especially in our current economy. We are fortunate to have such a passionate group of folks at SRT that I suspect took some risks to keep the Viper alive.

Also, we VCA members have unbelievable access to the SRT Team. I don’t think there is another vehicle brand that puts the whole vehicle team out there with the customers. I fear if we don’t treat them with due respect, they will just tune us out and we will lose the unprecedented customer to manufacturer relationship that we have.

At VOI, I was able to see and appreciate lots of older generation Vipers. I think there are unique things to love about every generation, and pitting one against another is pointless. I got to meet a young guy at VOI with a beautiful Gen 1 and we both admired each others car. Of course, each generation Viper is going to be better in lots of ways than the prior one. If not, why would anyone aspire to get a new one? My wife and I both got to drive the Gen V SRT and GTS at VOI and we both loved them. Let’s count our blessings and stop the griping.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang