GenIII tranny in a genII?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm nowhere NEAR being qualified to advise here, but I thought gen 2 and 3 both used the same transmission... would like to find out as well. :)

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I believe the Gen 2/3 Viper trannies are identical. It does sound like there was some updates in the Gen 3.5 Viper tranny - Additional syncros shorter shifter mechanism that might be nice if you can wait until they start showing up in about a year. New twin disk clutch with less rotational mass would also be sweet.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen III doesn't use a speed sensor at the back of the transmission...make sure there is a hole...otherwise you wont be able to put your speed sensor in.

I have a gen II in my gen III...with a speed sensor that goes nowhere.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They will fit. Beware of some of the 2003ish trannys that did not have a provision/hole for the speed sensor...and the tail housing will not interchange. In late 2004 or 2005 there were some strength upgrades do internally per a SRT drivetrain engineer. I have a later model tranny in my car.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen III doesn't use a speed sensor at the back of the transmission...make sure there is a hole...otherwise you wont be able to put your speed sensor in.

I have a gen II in my gen III...with a speed sensor that goes nowhere.

At last check.....even the new gen3 came with the sensor....easier than having two trannys to ship out I guess. They are also doing rebuilds from warranty returns....beware of getting a gen2 for a gen3 warranty replacement.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When this question came up before, I thought someone said the mainshaft was one piece in the Gen 3 vs. two piece in the Gen 2.

OP
OP
J

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang Joseph!.....first you want a Gen 3 intake now the tranny? Go buy an SRT!!!

:laugh:

I know!!

If someone wanted a dis-assembled 1400rwhp-capable RT as trade for an SRT, i'd do it!

actually, a local guy has been parting out an SRT which has made some of the parts available... but i'm not spending another single $$ on this car until it is running again. well, another $$ _except_ for the $$'s going to you.

JD

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When this question came up before, I thought someone said the mainshaft was one piece in the Gen 3 vs. two piece in the Gen 2.

That is correct. The 5/6 gear shaft is 1 piece now, instead of 2 pieces, so its marginally stronger, but who ever heard of 5th/6th gear failures.

Anyways, I was one of the 1st in the country to have a gen 3 tranny put into my gen 2, back in 2003, so I am positive it works, but Tom Sessions did have to use some part off the old gen 2 tranny and put it on the gen 3 tranny for it to work. But Dodge does now replace UNDER WARRANTY gen 2 trannys with Gen 3s. They do not make 2 different trannys for warranty work for those cars.

Jon

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That is correct. The 5/6 gear shaft is 1 piece now, instead of 2 pieces, so its marginally stronger, but who ever heard of 5th/6th gear failures.

As Jon noted, there was a change from 2 piece to 1 piece, however, apparently he had not heard that my second transmission that failed was due to 6th gear going out.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Jon noted, there was a change from 2 piece to 1 piece, however, apparently he had not heard that my second transmission that failed was due to 6th gear going out.

I try not to hear about the stuff you do, because some of the things I used to hear were scary.

Hows the Gen 3 treating you? Going to move up to the Gen 3.5 ?

Jon

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I try not to hear about the stuff you do, because some of the things I used to hear were scary.

Hows the Gen 3 treating you? Going to move up to the Gen 3.5 ?

Jon

Gen3 is just fine, I'm in no rush to go to 3.5, give me 2 years and we'll see.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang