Getting an Off-Road / Test Pipe made is more trouble than I thought

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't find a local shop with a mandrel bender. I know plenty of guys who can make me the pipe, but there will be a slight crimp in it since they will be making it with a normal bender. I was going to get a 2.5" pipe made since I am going to install a Gen IV cat-back and it's 2.5" anyway. So I am considering having a shop make a 3" pipe with a standard bend and reducing it to 2.5" before the muffler tie-in.

I am curious to know what other guys with a catless set-up have done. I searched the forums and internetz and haven't found much (any) solid help. I would appreciate any help assistance guys could offer.

(Please don't let turn this into another High-Flow Cats/No-Cats debate.)

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrels, Two mandrel bent 2.5" pipes came with the new Aero cat-back sytem I purchased from Steve at Vipair (VCA: GTS-R 001). Of course it would take a few days shipping but, if that isn't a problem you might want to contact Steve and see if he can set you up? I'm not sure if Steve makes, has those made, or if they came from the Aero factory, but Steve should be able to let you know. Hope that helps :drive:

OP
OP
B

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ooooohhh. So you meant:
"Allen, sent you a pm."

That's ok. I didn't want a pm anyway. (sniff)

In case anyone was wondering, I am going to have a guy at RHE make me a pipe. They make NASCAR, Nationwide, and Arca chassis, but they are most proud of the sweet-**** roll cage they made for my lemons car. Probably. Lemme know if anyone else wants one.

Jon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One option is to buy pre-made mandrel bends and weld them in. They come in various sizes and angles and are available from many different sources, even JC Whitney, last time I checked. Not as pretty a finished product as being able to bend up the entire pipe at once, and you'll likely want to use some sort of protective coating on the welds to combat rust (high temp exhaust paint at the least), but it does allow you to have a true mandrel bend without needing access to a mandrel bender.

OP
OP
B

Barrels

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jon,
It turns out HRE won't be able to get to me for quite a while, so I think I will pursue this option. I have the welder I need to get this done, and enough buddies that can do the work for me. I want to try to make it a 3" pipe in case I don't like the way the Gen IV sounds and want to switch to a 3" aftermarket.

Seems like I would need (per side):
-2 3" straight pipes approximately 2' long (I'll measure before I order)
-1 3" Mandrel-bent 90
-1 Flange
-1 3"-2.5" section to make the tie-in to the Gen IV Exhaust

I have a few questions:
1. Is this all I need?
2. What grade and thickness stainless pipe do I need?
3. What type/size flange do I need? I know I need the exact same one that is on the stock exhaust, I just don't know how to order it.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,
It turns out HRE won't be able to get to me for quite a while, so I think I will pursue this option. I have the welder I need to get this done, and enough buddies that can do the work for me. I want to try to make it a 3" pipe in case I don't like the way the Gen IV sounds and want to switch to a 3" aftermarket.

Seems like I would need (per side):
-2 3" straight pipes approximately 2' long (I'll measure before I order)
-1 3" Mandrel-bent 90
-1 Flange
-1 3"-2.5" section to make the tie-in to the Gen IV Exhaust

I have a few questions:
1. Is this all I need?
2. What grade and thickness stainless pipe do I need?
3. What type/size flange do I need? I know I need the exact same one that is on the stock exhaust, I just don't know how to order it.

The 90º angles won't work. The angles between the header outlet and the door sill is obtuse, and probably more like 110º. I can dig up some pics of my OEM exhaust and you will see what I mean.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might have already thought of this, and it's not the 'perfect' way to do it, but what about just taking a stock unit and removing the cat substrate? There are a ton of take-offs out there, and it's probably going to fit perfect... I know from experience that the substrate isn't too difficult to get out of there (it'll shatter pretty easily and shake out - or you can take a band-saw to the cat, pull the substrate out, and then re-weld the shell).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang