Getting new Tires for my 01 RT

chambers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Folks, I have been looking at new tires for my 01 RT. Trying to get her right for the summer. I see many brands and I am not sure what to make of them. Most of them are by MICHELIN. I still have the stock ones on ;)
shame on me. Anyway I see many MICHELIN brands for my Viper. I also see the stock ones that came with the car from the factory MICHELIN: Pilot Sport ZP C1. I must say I do like these. I also see MICHELIN brands MICHELIN: Pilot Sport A/S and MICHELIN: Pilot Sport PS2 ZP. These brands provide you the ability to drive in the snow and on wet surfaces. Also, they have a higher mileage rating than the factory ones. I do not use my Viper as a daily driver so I never drive it in the snow or on wet surfaces. I only use it on some weekends and in car show events. I would say I put less than 1200 miles on it a year.

With that being the case, would it be more logical to just get the oringnal factory ones due to my circumstances? Also these are a bit cheaper than the latter two brands. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see you are talking about the ZP or run flat tires. You can get those anymore for the Viper. I would suggest the PS2's. I got them
For my '01 and LOVE them. :)

OP
OP
C

chambers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see you are talking about the ZP or run flat tires. You can get those anymore for the Viper. I would suggest the PS2's. I got them
For my '01 and LOVE them. :)

I can still get the MICHELIN: Pilot Sport ZP C1 for my RT 01 from Tire Kingdom http://www.tirekingdom.com/ These are the factory ones that came with the car. They have them in stock.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Falken made a tire for the rear,I'd be all over it.The BFGoodrich KDW2 from Tire Rack
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+T/A+KDW+2
or from Viper Parts is what I'm going to get.It won't break the bank like the PS2 and it has a higher thread wear rating.For using your car for only 1200 a year, I don't see the need spending the extra cash on PS2's.

Hi Vancouver, I heard the BF Goodrich tires were loud? Is that correct?

ba$$fan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple...if you have the cash and want the best get the PS2. If you want to save a little cash get the KDW. I figure I'm going to hit the 5 yr point and want to get new tires anyways before I wear them out so I went the cheaper route and got the KDW from PartsRack.

I don't think they are loud at all. I don't really have anything to compare though, I switched the stockers out right after I got my GTS. I will say that the KDWs seem very road sensitive as far as traction goes. Concrete roads they hook like crazy while newer asphalt roads around my house I have to be really careful.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS2 can't go wrong, top of the game. Nitto is a good tire for less money than the Michelins. Search the names, its been discussed to death.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have the BFG KDW's and my exhaust more than counters whatever noise that the tires may generate so I really couldn't say... :D I'm not sure that road noise is a key criteria for Viper tires...

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can still get the MICHELIN: Pilot Sport ZP C1 for my RT 01 from Tire Kingdom http://www.tirekingdom.com/ These are the factory ones that came with the car. They have them in stock.

The C1 is the Viper specific Michelin tire, PS2s are a great tire. Whichever on you get make sure you get the 4 digit "born on" date and it's not more then a year old.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score

George, any tire is loud if over inflated.:rolaugh: Seriously, I never experienced that myself,especially with my muscle cars that had loud exhausts:D.
I have BF Goodrich tires on my Lincoln Navigator [ super quiet SUV :headbang:] now that's as quiet as the OEM Michelins it was on before.
BF Goodrich is made by Michelin BTW.

Ps; my friend has Bridgestone tires on his NobleM400 that has good wear rating and it stick like glue. He has over 400 whp, car weighs 2350 pounds, having a mid engine it out handles just about anything I've driven before.Too bad Bridgestone doesn't have the size for the Viper's rear!

Last edited:

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tires are a personal thing, some don't like the PS2's. I have them on my RT and think they are fine. Local roads or highway, car rides smoothly and handles well. They are the recommended tire by most on this site. Got mine from Jon at Parts Rack, shipped them out quickly and price was very good. Keep in mind, only certain places have the correct high-speed balance machine that can handle these wide tires.....balancing is key!

Good luck on your choice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang