Getting serious about a SRT-10 purchase, but I'm 6'4" 250 any input?

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a Z06 Corvette for over 5 years, it's heavily modded. I just completed a self-done targa top conversion and repaint, but at the end of the day I'm a bit borred with the car and have done everything there is to do with the platform. I'm contemplating putting it up for sale and getting into a yellow '05 SRT-10 like this:

MVC-003F3.JPG

MVC-004F1.JPG

My main issue is that I like to actually drive my cars, the Z06 has over 80k on it and many trips around the country. The Viper would be mostly a weekend toy, but I'll need to do something about the seats. Both height and aggressive bolstering. I'm not overweight at all, but I have very broad shoulders. The few SRT-10s I've driven were no fun after 10 minutes. I had to look down to see out of them and was staring at the hood and my shoulders were hunched in a uncomfortable position.

I sell Porsches and can fit in an '05+ Boxster w/o issue... if Porsche can make that little car fit me I'm sure there's things I can do to the Viper.

I've read up on seat lowering kits, but has anyone modified their seat bolsters? Specifically the upper shoulder portions.

Thanks,
Brian

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can always lower the seat 1 or 2 inches with brackets. I'm 6ft 1in and have no issues with head clearance, although I find myself looking through the top portion of the front glass when I'm sitting at a stop light waiting to see the green. Sometimes I have to lean forward a bit to see the traffic light. Solution to that is don't pull up quite as far, or install the seat brackets of course.

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I have a 06 coupe and I'm 6'4" 230lb and have no problems. crunch up the legs just a little bit getting in, but once I'm in I can drive all day nice and comfy!

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 6'2" 280lbs. I find the seat too tight but I can manage.

For me it's not the most comfortable car in the world but any time in the car is wonderful! I did not lower the seat or make any changes at all.

Greg

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That Ultimate Whips TV show had a Viper on there a while back. It was owned by some really big guy who was having the seat bolsters removed. They took an electric bread knife and sawed off the bolsters and installed all new custom leather. The finished seats looked like black leather slabs. Pretty funny.

What are you expecting to pay for a yellow 2005. I have a yellow 2005 and I have an idea of what I would pay for one depending on mileage. Some sellers have unrealistic expectations.

OP
OP
B

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get the vibe that alot of people put up with the discomfort just to own the car. I wouldn't remove all the bolstering, just the "shoulder wings" that force me to hunch down. The issue isn't headroom, it's sitting high up in the car to the point that I'm almost eye level with the top of the windshield. I also remember my left knee hitting the dash when operating the clutch. That said, it's been nearly 3 years since I drove one and I may have not had the seet in the correct position.

I'd like to retain a slider so the 1" kit would be ideal, but 2" would most likely work well.

I need to sell some cars first to make the transition. I'm currently selling a '98 C5 track rat and my modded Z06 would take some time to sell, but I'm considering throwing it up on all the forums and letting the dice roll. Then I should be in a purchasing position by next spring/summer. The truck/Panoz aren't going anywhere.

I could always do it the old fashion American way and get a HELOC to pay for it :drive: I kid. Thanks for the input fellas.

1fast1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might consider a gen 2 car. I'm 6 foot 4 and 230lbs. I fit much better in my gen 2 with the 2 inch lowering kit than my firends 2005 SRT with the 1 inch lowering kit.

OP
OP
B

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm firends with John Freeman (Bugeater) and George Murray (I think that's his SN too) on here and have been in both of their cars... I find the Gen-II car to be even worse with the pedal arrangement. Plus I want a vert :)

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I need to sell some cars first to make the transition. I'm currently selling a '98 C5 track rat and my modded Z06 would take some time to sell, but I'm considering throwing it up on all the forums and letting the dice roll. Then I should be in a purchasing position by next spring/summer. The truck/Panoz aren't going anywhere.

I could always do it the old fashion American way and get a HELOC to pay for it :drive: I kid. Thanks for the input fellas.

That's cool. By next spring/summer, you should be able to get into a 2005 for $38-39K

OP
OP
B

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's my thought... I've also considered a creampuff 2003 or 2004 in red, but yellow is really my color. My Z06 was millenium yellow (oem color) and just resprayed it Ford Screamin' Yellow. That said, the prices on the early cars are really comming down. We'll see... I wish John/George still had a Gen III car that I could take for an extended drive.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a little over 6'4 and had 4 Vipers and never lowered a seat. You just adjust and you don't notice it. I have an 06 coupe and my son is 6'7".When the 2 of us exit the car folks have shocked looks on their faces but it is really not a problem.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We just saw the incredible at VOI. A Viper owner who is 6'9" tall and drives an SRT-10. He changed the drivers seat out for a Porsche seat bolted right to the floor, and folds right in and out......pretty cool to see.....he said the Viper is good for up to 6'6" then you have to change the seat. 2" lowering kit and you should be good to go!!!!

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm 5'9" 240lbs. So I'm pretty big. i have a gen2 coupe It's not like sitting in a crown victoria, but compared to my bros c5 vette it's a little tighter. the seats kinda wrap around me, but it's definitely manageable. It's not uncomfortable...

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6'4"/260 here.

1" seat lowering kit in my '06 Coupe and removed the sun visors.

I wouldn't want to drive across country in it, but I fit just fine.:2tu:

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm firends with John Freeman (Bugeater) and George Murray (I think that's his SN too) on here and have been in both of their cars... I find the Gen-II car to be even worse with the pedal arrangement. Plus I want a vert :)

You hang out with those characters?:omg:
Try and get with George and get over to the Horsepower Challenge in Richmond on the 20th of this month. We will try and get you in an SRT somehow for a drive. Here's the event information....

http://forums.viperclub.org/vca-vip...-challenge-viper-vs-corvette-sep-20-08-a.html

Might want to get there earlier in the morning as I think around noon the cars have to stay in place for the Horsepower count and dyno sheet process and show judging.
The seat thing is no problem really, you lower it and then you bend out the bars inside the bolsters that hit your shoulders, pretty easy to do. Absolutely worst case the Gen 2 seats that have very little bolstering can be switched in. As far as your prior ride I bet you did not adjust the pedals away from you, pretty big variance there.
l know a Viper tech guy in Fredricksburg that can do all this pretty easily.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My business partner is an EX NY Giant 6.4 305.With the roof on in my GEN4 its real tight for him

OP
OP
B

BCBowers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Lee... I'll give George a ring and see if I can hook up with him for that. I may not be able to get off work on sort notice, but I'll see as it seems like fun, he's told me about it before. Sounds like my issues are pretty easy to solve then :)

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeebus you guys need to lose some weight. Stop doing this >> :eater:

At 5'9" and 155 pounds with a 30' waist I'm thinking of going to aftermarket seats so I can get a tighter seat on my Gen II. Like Frank Lloyd Wright said about big tall people, you guys are just "not an appropriate size" for the real world! :D

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeebus you guys need to lose some weight. Stop doing this >> :eater:

At 5'9" and 155 pounds with a 30' waist I'm thinking of going to aftermarket seats so I can get a tighter seat on my Gen II. Like Frank Lloyd Wright said about big tall people, you guys are just "not an appropriate size" for the real world! :D

You're the one with the 30 FOOT waist!!! :lmao::lmao:

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get the vibe that alot of people put up with the discomfort just to own the car. I wouldn't remove all the bolstering, just the "shoulder wings" that force me to hunch down. The issue isn't headroom, it's sitting high up in the car to the point that I'm almost eye level with the top of the windshield. I also remember my left knee hitting the dash when operating the clutch. That said, it's been nearly 3 years since I drove one and I may have not had the seet in the correct position.

I'd like to retain a slider so the 1" kit would be ideal, but 2" would most likely work well.

If you want to fit somewhat comforably YOU WILL NEED the 2 inch lowering kit. It was the only way I could get into my '05 and the reason for keeping me out of the '08.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to fit somewhat comforably YOU WILL NEED the 2 inch lowering kit. It was the only way I could get into my '05 and the reason for keeping me out of the '08.

Agreed. I sat in Lee's ACR, and there is no way I could own one without lowering the seat. I'm hoping that a standard relocation procedure for the airbag module and the other one that's under there will be hashed out in the coming months. I wish they had decided on a different location for these, especially knowing how common it is for people to lower the seats in these cars.

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm about your size 6'-3" 230 but i have a 6'-5" torso, my 08 had little to no extra head room. I installed the 1" lowering kit and wow what a differance! I'm convinced you can work out those issues easily.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. I'm hoping that a standard relocation procedure for the airbag module and the other one that's under there will be hashed out in the coming months..

You and me both. There may be some hope though, The ACR might not have the module under the seat...my dealer is not sure but is waiting for delivery any day. Can anyone on this forum verify if the ACR is different?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You and me both. There may be some hope though, The ACR might not have the module under the seat...my dealer is not sure but is waiting for delivery any day. Can anyone on this forum verify if the ACR is different?

I can't see why it would be located anywhere else. The airbag system is identical to every other '08 SRT-10 and it's the same seat. I'm not even sure if an ACR is an ACR yet by the time that system gets installed.. I sure would LIKE it to be elsewhere though. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456